Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a lot about this engine needing lots of oil before taking delivery in late April.

My car has no dipstick as I read in some threads here and I am relying on the car's MMI system to check the level.

It seems I have to have the engine running to check it, or am I doing something wrong?

How do you guys check it? Is there something I need to do?

Also does yours use a lot of oil??

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yes, mine uses lots of oil, typically about a gallon every 40 miles:D

However that is diesel not the kind that lubricates the engine. The other kind seems to be much better; 17,000 miles and and none needed to be added to the engine.

I don't know where the suggestion that it uses lots of engine oil comes from but it has used the least oil of any car I have owned. I have not seen any posts suggesting high oil consumption in this engine. Perhaps it varies with the way it is driven, and if you max the revs frequently it might use much more, but it does not seem to be the best way to drive it- clearly the economy would suffer, but the engine gets a bit breathless if you push it to the max too.
I would suggest that if you find yourself needing say a litre of oil every 1,000 miles or less there is something wrong, or the car has been driven very hard.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
No oil consumption on 3.0TDI (for 6000 km), I think it is issue on 2.0TDI engine, not 3.0 TDI.

My A4 2.0TDI needed 1,5l oil between oil changes.

·
Registered
821 Posts
None needed in mine yet.... Off to Wales soon for a week so best i check it !!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Bluehorse

I´ve just done 23k miles in mine. The level was 75% of max on the dipstick before the service at 19.5k miles.

From memory, the oil change was approx ₤85 which was more expensive than my previous Audi diesel (A6 2.5tdi quattro sport) but seeing it doesn´t waste any.. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.