Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Audi recommends doing an Oil change first at 5,000 and then at 15,000 but I went and changed it by myself at 10,000 miles.

I noticed the book says use 5-40 but I went ahead and used 15-50 from Mobile since I'm in hot weather Florida.

I'd like to know if anyone else is changing their oil at home and what they're using where they live.

I've always heard Mobile 1 is the best.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Audi recommends doing an Oil change first at 5,000 and then at 15,000 but I went and changed it by myself at 10,000 miles.

I noticed the book says use 5-40 but I went ahead and used 15-50 from Mobile since I'm in hot weather Florida.

I'd like to know if anyone else is changing their oil at home and what they're using where they live.

I've always heard Mobile 1 is the best.
I dunno, that's a gamble; I wouldn't use a 15w cold-start viscosity on a european built motor (read: tight tolerances) with forged pistons regardless of the outside weather conditions.

The 50w operating viscosity is not very different from 40w, and the engine doesn't even run all that hot to begin with.

Just my 2 cents, not supported by any scientific data, but gut feeling based on experience.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Im using 5w-30 on mine as recommended by the audi dealership. Even though the book says 5w-40.

I asked audi whethere i should change the oil at 5000 miles but they recommended i do it only at the first service interval.

·
Registered
435 Posts
The manufacturer's aren't out to get you... An old engine from the nineties will benefit from the weight. A brand new high revving V8 should probably be using the weight that the engine designers specified. Just make sure the weight and brand is audi certified, there is a list on the forum. Also, don't trust any company that claims to sell the oil filter online. You need to buy it at the dealer, every online company I found, shipped the wrong filter. Maybe in a year they will have the right one.

Also, you must pump the oil out of the engine. There is no drain plug...

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Actually the drain plug,, oil fiter are very easy to access considering how tight it is in the engine bay.
No harm in changing the oil yourself and at regular intervals except for your wallet

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
In Europe the recommended oil change is every 9000 miles. In the US its 5000. The dealers dont appear to realise that there is a different service interval showing on the 5 for oil and service and often say 18,000 for oil change. They are wrong.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
In Europe the recommended oil change is every 9000 miles. In the US its 5000. The dealers dont appear to realise that there is a different service interval showing on the 5 for oil and service and often say 18,000 for oil change. They are wrong.
Yes you are correct and the dealer is wrong. No idea why they say at first service when the car tells you after about 9000 miles. Dumb dumbs.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Just FYI, the MMI will adjust your oil change interval based on your driving habits as well. I did my last oil change at ~4k miles, and it's now recommending another one at ~9500 miles.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Just FYI, the MMI will adjust your oil change interval based on your driving habits as well. I did my last oil change at ~4k miles, and it's now recommending another one at ~9500 miles.
Another reason to get an S5... Super Smart! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think it's the dealer who reset your system wrong. My MMI told me to bring mine in for service around 9500 miles aswell because I got my oil changed around 4,000.

I brought it to an Audi dealer and they reset the system for another 5,000.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I think it's the dealer who reset your system wrong. My MMI told me to bring mine in for service around 9500 miles aswell because I got my oil changed around 4,000.

I brought it to an Audi dealer and they reset the system for another 5,000.
I dunno this would definitely not be the first car I've seen which adjusts the oil change interval based on RPM fluctuation. Even my friend's old Honda Insight does that. I'm inclined to change oil too often versus letting it go unchecked.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Can somebody tell me exactly where the drain plug is? I had it up on the lift just the other day and couldn't find it. The service manual doesn't make any reference to it either.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Take off the front engine undertray and you will see the bottom of the engine. The big black sump is at the front with the oil sensor and the small drain plug. You need a standard hex key fitting to undo it.
Dont forget a new crush washer

·
Registered
435 Posts
Ah, thought I was missing something... Are there a lot of clips for the undertray? Can it be done easily without being on a lift?

·
Registered
394 Posts
As respects which oil to use, there are probably more opinion on this than actual types of oil available. Regardless, I would absolutely use an Audi-approved oil so as to avoid any warranty headaches:

http://www.audiusa.com/etc/medialib/cms4imp/audi2/aoa/company/aoa-specific.Par.0023.File.pdf

I started with Motul and based upon the input from a forum member "in the business", I switched at my last oil change to Pennzoil Platinum European Formula (about half the price of the Motul to boot).

On a final note, I have Blacktone Labs analyze the oil on all my cars after each oil change:

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

This is a little extra "insurance" as it allows you to see if there are any issues with your motor over time.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
No, just a few single turn screws along one edge and then slide it out. A lot easier than a lot of other makes of cars.
Suggest you drives the car onto thick planks of wood or raise the side of the car with a jack and an axle stand; remove your undertray; undo and remove the oil sump plug and allow the car to drain oil but drop the car down again onto its wheesl to allow a full drain of the oil.

Just be careful raising and lowering the car and trying to work under it. DOnt take risks and dont jack it up in the wrong place.Remeber its you life at risk

Ah, thought I was missing something... Are there a lot of clips for the undertray? Can it be done easily without being on a lift?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts