Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my oil changed at 2500 miles yes I know they say 5k but I like to do the first one early. Anyway you know Audicare doesn't kick in until 5k I think.
But my dealer had given me a freebie for one oil change I'm glad i used it.
The dealer hands me the paper work for it $135.00 WTF for a oil change.
I guess I'm glad I bought the Audicare.

·
Registered
128 Posts
....and the car doesn't need an oil change until the DIS tells you it does. If you believe what the hand book says, and run the car on variable servicing that's at around 18,000 miles. Certainly my TT would go at least that far without the DIS telling me it needed a service/oil change.
The reason that the cost was so high is that modern synthetic oils are very expensive, BUT they are also very good.
You are paying for the fact that they last the huge milage and changing the oil earlier than this will only harm your wallet.
Remember that the car is unlike your wife or dog, doesn't notice or react any differently if you either spoil it or thrash it.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I'm planning to stick to changing the oil when the car says it's due - I would think Audi would not have a problem with warranty should anything happen to the engine and you'd followed the servicing schedule as decided by the MMI/DIS.

As a point of interest - the service schedule for my 3.0 TDi states that even with the Audi LongLife schedule, my car should have an oil change at 10k miles and an inspection service at 19k miles (both approximate). Sure enough, when my car was new, the MMI stated that the oil change was due in 9,700 miles (I had around 300 miles on the clock at that point) and the inspection was due in 19,200 (or thereabouts - I can't remember the exact figures.)

Interestingly, the MMI is now telling me that the oil change isn't due for another 17,200 miles (I've done 1850 miles so far) so it seems to have gone out quite some from when the car was new, and seems to tie in with the inspection service, but this now doesn't agree with the service booklet. Think I'll call in to my dealer and ask at what point I should get the oil changed - in accordance with the service booklet, or when the car tells me it's due?

As a slight aside, I had to open the bonnet the other day, and the DIS then automatically changes to tell you what level the oil is at - quite clever, I thought!

·
Registered
415 Posts
I had my oil changed at 2500 miles yes I know they say 5k but I like to do the first one early.
Actually, the 5K number from the factory is already intentionally early. I don't know the service intervals for the S5, but I imagine they're much the same as the 2.0T FSI in my wife's car. The normal oil change interval is 10,000 miles. But there's an early first one at 5,000 before the rest at 10k, 20k, etc. That's the factory's way of trying to enforce the "first one early" practice. If you cut that interval in half, you're just double dipping on earliness, and probably not having any real benefit.

In fact, my father (a long-time Audi/VW tech) specifically recommends not performing the first change any earlier than the factory recommendation. That's advice straight from factory service training. Apparently, you want the first batch of oil to cover the entire break-in period so all the little bits of metal come out in the first change. If you swap oil early, you just end up making both your first and second oil fills unusually contaminated. Granted, that advice is probably meant for people who do the first change early and use the normal interval for their second change. In that case, not waiting long enough for the first change means your'e running around for 10k miles or more with quasi-break-in oil. No matter the case, the intent is clear: the factory knows what's best, and that's why they make the recommendations they do.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Well I've done 2000 miles in my S5 now and noticed on the MMi/DIS that the oil level is now at a quater of the bar - is this normal?

1200 miles have been motorway miles going at average speed of about 80mph is this why it has drank so much oil? I did have a look on the day it was new and it indicated it was full and I don't actually thrash the car other than the odd little boost to show friends the power of the car.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Well I've done 2000 miles in my S5 now and noticed on the MMi/DIS that the oil level is now at a quater of the bar - is this normal?
Ok, now you have me asking. Where on the MMI or DIS is the oil level shown?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts