Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the car booked in for servicing this weekend at the local dealership but obviously it has now been cancelled. I have a warning saying Oil change is needed and service due in 4 days.

Any ideas how long it will be ok to continue driving. I know the oil just doesn't stop lubricating but don't want to keep leaving it in the hope the dealer opens soon.

Whilst working from home I was happy to prolong it but I have now been told I am an "Essential worker" so will have to start using the car again.

I'm happy to change the oil and filter myself but don't know if that would invalidate the warranty.

No joy from Audi as they are all at home as well.
:unsure:

·
Registered
69 Posts
What is your weekly mileage (in the current circumstances)?
You'll be ok to push it a bit further. Another couple of hundred miles wont harm. If you've had dealer services before then they'll be using the correct synthetic oil so you'll be fine. Drive sensibly. Ensure oil is topped (or not under the minimum level).

I could go all engineering waffle about oil length lubricity life, mean time before failure rates and all sorts! The service life of oil as recommended by the manufacturer will have some % flexibility in the design. And modern synthetic oils are incredibly good (see Bob is the Oil guy forum or the fine art of Tribology (the study of friction, wear and lubricity).

Reactions: SimonRoma

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
I agree with the above response, good call!! And I would add that warranty cannot be invalidated PROVIDING you use approved oil and parts so if you do anything yourself buy Audi VW spec oil and filters and keep the receipts, then when you get the official stealers to do the job when they reopen you have the evidence to hand.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,
Having returned to work yesterday and attended today there is now a very strong possibility of me "working from home " as of Monday until the end of April so I will only need the car for a short journey to do the weekly shop. May be able to get a response from Audi UK during that time.

Take care where ever you are in the world.

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Thanks Les mate same to you!!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
The warning is just a timer based on miles/days it was last reset. 10,000 mi(16093.44 km) / xxxdays (don't recall how many days when reset.).. Distance on the oil is far more important than days. Go into the MMI and verify the service setting for the oil.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hope everybody is still safe and well. Just an update really

I had a response from the nearest dealership still open who happened to be in Manchester. They said they were only doing emergency work which under the present restrictions is fair enough, a service is not an emergency. So I played safe ish by having an oil change done at my local Halfords.

Audi contacted me last week saying they were opening up more dealerships for servicing. Earliest date they start in my area is 11th May but would be dealt with on a case by case basis. Car still hasn't done 18000 (servicing cycle) so will leave it until more urgent cases are dealt with. I was having a reversing camera fitted at the same time so may have to wait a little for that to be done.

Slowly slowly does it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts