Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, there! I have a question regarding the oil change. I own a A5 2.7 TDI S-Line for about 8 months now and I have done almost 11000km. According to my dealers I should change my oil at 15 000km. But in the MMI menu thingy it states that I should not change the oil in another 20000km. Should I listen to the dealers or not. Here in Bulgaria all dealers say that the first oil change should be done when car reaches 15000km, something about bad quality of the air, dust etc. So should I change the oil or wait for the car to remind me I should, and could this affect my warranty?(The dealers to say that I haven't changed my oil in time and therefore my warranty is not valid anymore...)

Offtopic: If you haven't seen what Bulgarian roads look like, I'll tell you that they are terrible - bumps, giant "holes", bad pavement some places etc. Horrible! I write this because my A5 for these 8 months haven't rattled a bit and the suspension is in perfect health. Just to let you know that we drive serious machines with very good suspension :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have done nearly 14,000 miles on the same oil,mmi says it should be changed at approx 19,000 miles.It is long life(expensive) oil,I was going to change it early,but decided to go with what the car decides:)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I have gone with the long life option as well. Mine is showing just over 19,000 as when its due. It was 20,000 when new but you will find it will come down to around 18-19k.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I'm still a bit puzzled by this whole service regime thing. Out of choice, I had APS change the oil when the car was in for Milltek/springs/spacers - that was at about 6 weeks and 2k miles.

The MMI then told me that next oil change was due at about 9800, so it went into Audi for another £100s worth of their finest 5W30. It's now telling me (at just shy of 15K miles) that next oil change is due at around 18K - and first service due at 19. Will of course have the oil service combined with the main, but curious as to why my car feels it needs it's oil changed twice as often as you chaps.....

·
Registered
479 Posts
The MMI then told me that next oil change was due at about 9800, so it went into Audi for another £100s worth of their finest 5x30.
An Audi dealer put 5W30 weight oil in your car? I thought the manual says 0W40.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Question for the experts on this site:

Since our oil filter is on top of the engine and can be replaced without disturbing the oil, should we change our filter every 5k and our oil at 10- 15k? Filter costs about 10 bucks and takes about 2 minutes to change. Would that have any benefits?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Yes, benefit for oil filter sellers...:D

·
Registered
1,730 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Ah, right, I did this about a month ago - it was actually more difficult than I thought it would be to find the "approved" oils around where I am - eventually went with Mobil 1 0W40 European Formula.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just a couple of questions from a guy on the other side of the Atlantic :)
Dont your cars run on the LONGLIFE OIL?

The "5W30" or "5W40" or "0W40" isnt the important thing, it's the VW 50400 (gasoline) & VW 50700 (diesel) norm that matters.

I just dont think there are so many differences in our cars compared to yours...or maybe I'm wrong?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ah, right, I did this about a month ago - it was actually more difficult than I thought it would be to find the "approved" oils around where I am - eventually went with Mobil 1 0W40 European Formula.
Shady, did you do your own oil change? Did that include a filter replacement? I'm planning on performing my own oil changes that fall between the Audi recommended service intervals (as I'm skeptical that any oil will perform well for 10,000 miles). I have replacement filters in my possession but a quick look under the hood didn't reveal an obvious location for them.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Just a couple of questions from a guy on the other side of the Atlantic :)
Dont your cars run on the LONGLIFE OIL?

The "5W30" or "5W40" or "0W40" isnt the important thing, it's the VW 50400 (gasoline) & VW 50700 (diesel) norm that matters.

I just dont think there are so many differences in our cars compared to yours...or maybe I'm wrong?
We don't have diesels (yet?) on this side of the Atlantic, and for the gas engines Audi is not (yet?) recommending the longer oil-change intervals. Maybe it's because there is a significant resistance already to the 15000 km interval they are recommending. For all of my cars so far, including my A5 3.2, Audi specifies oil that meets VW 50200. I think that's the case for all the North American models.

·
Registered
23 Posts
We don't have diesels (yet?) on this side of the Atlantic, and for the gas engines Audi is not (yet?) recommending the longer oil-change intervals. Maybe it's because there is a significant resistance already to the 15000 km interval they are recommending. For all of my cars so far, including my A5 3.2, Audi specifies oil that meets VW 50200. I think that's the case for all the North American models.
Okay JSC...I didnt know that, its interesting to get that kind of information. I thought it was the same recommendations for you. Yes the VW 50200 norm is correct when the oil-change is 15000km or 1 year. We have that here as well if you decide the shorter intervals. 50400 is for our longlife service, up until 30000km or 2 years.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
So can someone confirm that for the S5 5w-30 is the one to use? AS per the link above APS have recommended Castrol Magnatec? Even though it doesnt say it meets the latest VW specs? Or is the Castrol Edge 5w-30 that meets vw 507-00 the one to go for? I know i'd rather go for the Magnatec as its cheaper

·
Registered
479 Posts
Shady, did you do your own oil change? Did that include a filter replacement? I'm planning on performing my own oil changes that fall between the Audi recommended service intervals (as I'm skeptical that any oil will perform well for 10,000 miles). I have replacement filters in my possession but a quick look under the hood didn't reveal an obvious location for them.
I don't do my own changes, but I am very close with the guys that own/work at the shop that services all my cars.

I did have the filter changed, it goes into a spot at the back of the intake manifold, under the engine cover with the Audi rings on it - there's a cap with a large hex head, just unscrew the cap and that's where the filter goes.

·
Registered
479 Posts
stimpyvan, your sig doesn't indicate whether you have the A5 or S5, but to be clear, I should note that's the location for the 3.2L A5...

And I'm with you on the durability of oils lasting 10K miles or more... I change every 5K on all my cars.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks Shady. A5 with the V6. I'll check that out tomorrow when I have some light.

$300 a year or so seems cheap to me when it comes to ensuring the motor lasts. I shudder every time someone I know buys a used car that doesn't have a documented maintenance history.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
So can someone confirm that for the S5 5w-30 is the one to use? AS per the link above APS have recommended Castrol Magnatec? Even though it doesnt say it meets the latest VW specs? Or is the Castrol Edge 5w-30 that meets vw 507-00 the one to go for? I know i'd rather go for the Magnatec as its cheaper
Well; can some one confirm this please? Thanks

·
Registered
435 Posts
Well; can some one confirm this please? Thanks
Cheaper by how much? Also, I went with 0w-40 for the winter which is also 502-00 certified (Mobil 1). 5w-40 is the best weight to fill the car with from the factory because it is good for the engine in hot and cold. However, a lighter weight 0w will be better for the winter, and a 10w will be better protection for the summer. If you change your oil with the seasons then you may want to look into this.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts