Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Audi peeps! got a question..I just changed my oil/filter and think I may have added to much. It says 4.6 liters in the manual and I filled what I thought was right. The oil level on the castrol container is just dreadfull! maybe it was to dark I don't know but I couldn't see the level. Poured what I thought was right and went for a drive. Checked MMI and it was close to Max but not full so I added a bit more. Think I put to much as there was barely anything left from the 5 Liter oil container. Is it a big deal if it was close to 5 liters that I added. 5 Liters is 5.3 quarts and 4.6 Liters is 4.9 Quarts the required amount. Should I be worried? even if I filled the full 5 liters will it make a big difference.

Thanks

·
Registered
141 Posts
Not sure how much of a big deal but I would sleep better if just drain some oil when the engine is cold. If the engine is cold you be able to remove the sump bolt for couple sec and quickly put bolt back without the risk of burns.

·
Administrator
4,611 Posts
if your car thinks, there is too much oil, it will say so.
you would get a message in the MMI oil level screen.
if there is no message, there is no problem.
however, under the provision, that the MMI oil level system has been working properly :)

·
Premium Member
3,277 Posts
Good comments guys!!! Northstar mate, you know that a slight UNDERfill is good whereas a slight OVERfill is bad cos the oild pressure will be too high and you can damage the engine. My Mercedes Vito was slightly overfilled by my trusty INDI man and on the motorway an oil pressure light came on. I pulled into the service station and checked in the manual, so I kind of understood what had happened so I continued my journey at a reduced cruising speed and then syringed some engine oil out when the engine had cooled down. It was less than half a litre, but can cause a problem.

Reactions: northstar and sayek

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information everyone. I appreciate it ! I drove it a bit today. No warming came up on the MMI. It's a 2012 Audi A5 I'm guessing it has the warning system in place. I will take some out but now I hope I don't take to much out:| I really need to get a dipstick! It just shows full on the MMI. I removed exactly 4.5L using the pump and added maybe 4.8-4.9 L back in. Hardly anything was left in the 5 L oil container. I filled to much the second time because the MMi showed it wasn't full to the max but now it does but I def put more then the required amount. I'll just take out a tiny bit just incase.

Thanks. Happy driving !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is what it shows. I'll just remove a little still. I took out exactly 4.5L when draining using the pump and added in 4.8 or 4.9 L since the 5 L container was almost empty. Couldn't see the exact amount I added . Required amount is 4.6L. Pump worked great. I'm sure it didn't take out everything but little bit left behind is fine I read. Just make sure to run the car before pumping it so all that stuff at the bottom doesn't sit. That's also why I was worried if I only took out 4.5 and some got left behind and on top of that I overfilled. It was my first time.

Thanks all for the info. Cheers !

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hahaha yes not going to argue with that ! Worked out well though. I normally take it to the stealership but this way I got all this cool stuff and it cost me the same amount. Next time I do it I just have to pay for oil and a filter instead of $180 CaD at audi.

·
Premium Member
3,277 Posts
NO mate DIY is far better, as long as you proceed with care. And ps buy a dipstick cos its really the only way to be 100% sure.

Reactions: sayek and northstar

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've got one of those pumps, they're great! I had a Smart Roadster once, and they don't have sump drains. So the only way to take the oil out is through the filler. I've still got the pump, it's very handy if you overfill and need to take a bit out ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.