Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Hi Josh, I am not into slating people on a public forum ,but I have contacted Bobby Singh and will be visiting him as soon as the lockdown is over.
I honestly think the car could make 278 bhp with just a tdi tuning box,never mind a custom tune.
The car made 290 bhp in October on Mrc's dyno when the dpf was removed
Audi 3.0 tdi

I have emailed Darkside to see if they can offer an explanation, but for now I would say think long and hard where you spend your money as you have your rough expectations of what power your car may achieve when you spend £700+ on a stage 1 tune

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Adrian, I agree, not slating them at all as they obviously have a lot of knowledge on diesels and have gained quite a good reputation, but it seems some of their stage 1 maps are produce crap figures. Maybe their dyno is just conservative?

One thing I do know is that this thread has finalised my decision, so thank you for keeping it up to date mate - I'm going to use P-Torque for DPF and remap, that should keep me going for 6 months while I put some money aside for turbo upgrade and IC and then head to Bobby.

Would be interesting to hear your thoughts going from Darksides map to Bobby's if you plan on keeping us updated still.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Josh ,I will keep this thread updated and will post the results when I get them.
There are lots of good tuners out there and you pay your money and make your choice.
For petrols engines I chose Mrc as they have been around for years and are one of the best around.
For diesels Bobby Singh is the man and If I had received his initial email I would of gone there.
However you do live and learn

·
Registered
128 Posts
It's a shame it only made them figures, I feel a bit gutted for you tbh mate.
Darkside are meant to call me after this lockdown as they have a list of people including myself waiting to book in with them. But after seeing this and some further research I'm thinking twice now...
I also have a manual CAPA and have seen what @bobby singh can do with them, I might contact him for turbo upgrade and map. From what I've been reading my CP1H fuel pump should be good for 350-380bhp?
Hi Josh, from a CAPA pump you are correct you can get around 380hp before the pump becomes a issue.
I would say a good measurement for power is something like a 100 to 200km/h timed run. Rules out bad starts, poor cooling on a dyno etc etc

To get the best out of turbo we really need to do a larger pump upgrade with other supporting mods

Cheers
Bobby

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey guys,

I have a 2013 A5 with the CDUC 3.0 TDI as well. I was thinking about getting a stage 1 tune but was just wondering how reliable ours cars would be after a tune, would it have any detrimental effect to the engine/gearbox? Eg. would servicing have to be done earlier?

I've got the S-Tronic gearbox - are they reliable even with the tune as I've heard that VAG DSG gearbox can be a bit fiddly at times.

Any advice would be appreciated! :)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Hi having a stage 1 tune will not effect the reliability of your car.
Yes you will put more strain on certain engine components but if you service the car at regular intervals you should have no issues.
The extra power is nice but how often you get to drive it at WOT is rare.
In regards to the gearbox pausing before upshifts,it may well be worth getting the gearbox mapped at the same time. The s tronic box offers seamless shifting and will benefit the remap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I had my car remapped by AmD tuning in Essex during lockdown. Along with a service. It made 296bhp and 600 torque. They were offering 25% off for NHS which is why I went there. I am looking forward to seeing what Bobby can do with the OP's car as I must admit that the darkside map seems a little on the low side, did they ever reply to your email?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Hi Haze, was planning on going to Bobby Singh but lockdown changed that. Whilst I was off a mate passed me the name of a tuner he has been using for the last 18 years on all his VAG cars.
I did some checking and found out that a few big tuners have used him in the past.
His fee for the remap was 1/3 of what Darkside had charged.
I made him aware of the problem with the coil light constantly coming on and car going into limp mode whenever you floored it .
He said he would look at that and he made some suggestions as to what it might be.
The car was left with him for 3 hours and then it was ready.
Firstly the tuner told me to take it for a drive then come back. The car was totally different it flew and as I was pulling on to the A46 I luckily spotted a police bmw that I was undertaking at 80mph lol 😆
When I got back the tuner told me that he estimated that the car had 305 bhp and 610nm .
Normally it is nice to have a graph with your remap to show what power the car is making.
However what is more important is how the car actually drives when your in it and this was definitely faster.
As I stated initially in this post I do not intend to slag off or slate any company but I will summarise this by saying before I took the car to Darkside I emailed them the vagcom chart which said the car was overboosting 4 weeks before we were due to attend After the remap was done by them within 3 weeks the car was still doing the same.
Since the car has been remapped by my new mapper it has done 900 miles including 2 blasts to Wales and back and no coil light has come on and the car is rapid.

Darkside did say initially to my mate that if he was not happy with his car they would put it back to std if he required.
However we may well take it for another rolling road day (not Mrc /Darkside) and see what the results say just for piece of mind.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Haze, not bad numbers there, do you have any other mods before the map?

Redline - I'm glad you got your car sorted! I'm booked in at P-Torque in Wolverhampton tomorrow for a RR and possible mapping session.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi Haze, was planning on going to Bobby Singh but lockdown changed that. Whilst I was off a mate passed me the name of a tuner he has been using for the last 18 years on all his VAG cars.
I did some checking and found out that a few big tuners have used him in the past.
His fee for the remap was 1/3 of what Darkside had charged.
I made him aware of the problem with the coil light constantly coming on and car going into limp mode whenever you floored it .
He said he would look at that and he made some suggestions as to what it might be.
The car was left with him for 3 hours and then it was ready.
Firstly the tuner told me to take it for a drive then come back. The car was totally different it flew and as I was pulling on to the A46 I luckily spotted a police bmw that I was undertaking at 80mph lol 😆
When I got back the tuner told me that he estimated that the car had 305 bhp and 610nm .
Normally it is nice to have a graph with your remap to show what power the car is making.
However what is more important is how the car actually drives when your in it and this was definitely faster.
As I stated initially in this post I do not intend to slag off or slate any company but I will summarise this by saying before I took the car to Darkside I emailed them the vagcom chart which said the car was overboosting 4 weeks before we were due to attend After the remap was done by them within 3 weeks the car was still doing the same.
Since the car has been remapped by my new mapper it has done 900 miles including 2 blasts to Wales and back and no coil light has come on and the xar is rapid.

Darkside did say initially to my mate that if he was not happy with his car they would put it back to std if he required.
However we may well take it for another rolling road day (not Mrc /Darkside) and see what the results say just for piece of mind.
Flashing light could mean anything but often low rail pressure during peak fuel demands. This is a sign that the pump can not keep up and is worn out - many tuners kill DTC which means even if you are getting low rail pressure you will never know unless you log the car.

With stock turbo and cp3 the ccwa can do this:

Cheers

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Thanks Bobby ,the mapper did mention this and said that the pump can break down. He also said he did not believe that the car had ever had a fuel filter change and to check the contents of the filter when we changed it.
Considering my mate has only run this car on shell v power diesel we decided to change the filter
This was done 2 days later and the filter fuel was black.
He is still planning on coming to visit you for a possible hybrid turbo in September/October

·
Registered
128 Posts
The cam inside the CP4 wears out and when things get really bad you can remove the metering unit and find metal swarf inside. Once you reach this point then consider, new pump, new fuel sensors, replacement injectors and cleaning out of lines.
I totally recommend installing a cp3 on a CCWA (plus other engine codes that share this set up) just for reliability if not performance.
The new V6 engines have their pumps located on the rear and there is no space for a CP3 (without major work), however I do keep a much more stable CP4 pump for those engine. The pump has hardened internals which do not die so easy.

Cheers

·
Registered
23 Posts
Don’t know if that’s good news or not. Disappointing if you were looking forward to the extra power and realising you already have it. Saying that I suppose you can have the same bhp but it’s the way the power is delivered

·
Registered
358 Posts
Yes, the power delivery (even after my BSR custom tune which was immense) was hugely further improved by then upgrading the intercooler which has made all the difference- highly recommended.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts