Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2011 A5
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this question has been posted before, but I couldn't find any discussion thread on this topic. My 2011 A5 driver's side tail light has a fracture in the red plastic. Debating whether to buy OEM replacement from dealer or purchase an aftermarket part? This is my first time sourcing a replacement part on my own and I would appreciate all opinions, advice, or links to any recommended resources.

·
Registered
Audi A5 f5 3.0 TDI Quattro S line S tronic Virtual Cockpit Driving assist pack
975 Posts
Could try these
UK based company and the OP is from US the rear lights have a different configuration than UK.

For the OP, if you know how to remove the taillight then do so and get the part number from it. If you replace it like for like via eBay or a secondhand source then it will continue to work as normal just keep to the SAME part number and not deviate. Purchasing aftermarket parts you’re going to be gambling whether it works with your car or the light configurations are the same or not. If you cannot afford a new original part then a secondhand one would be the most efficient way.

~Alex

·
Registered
2011 A5
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
UK based company and the OP is from US the rear lights have a different configuration than UK.

For the OP, if you know how to remove the taillight then do so and get the part number from it. If you replace it like for like via eBay or a secondhand source then it will continue to work as normal just keep to the SAME part number and not deviate. Purchasing aftermarket parts you’re going to be gambling whether it works with your car or the light configurations are the same or not. If you cannot afford a new original part then a secondhand one would be the most efficient way.

~Alex
Thanks, @Alex1990 — Good to know UK parts have a different configuration than its US counterpart. Excellent idea to pop off taillight to get part number... then for sure I can get the right one that will fit. Definitely appreciate your post.

·
Registered
561 Posts
If you are going to get aftermarket, I recommend getting them in pairs. You never know if the colors will match exactly. I made that mistake once. But if you can find a used original from junkyard / eBay, I'd do that. Polish and wax with a quality plastic/ceramic coating and they'll look new.

The rear lights are super easy to take off. Search on youtube for videos on taking off the rear bumper. You'll see it's only 1 screw you can twist off by hand or with a screw driver.

·
Registered
Audi A5 f5 3.0 TDI Quattro S line S tronic Virtual Cockpit Driving assist pack
975 Posts
If you are going to get aftermarket, I recommend getting them in pairs. You never know if the colors will match exactly. I made that mistake once. But if you can find a used original from junkyard / eBay, I'd do that. Polish and wax with a quality plastic/ceramic coating and they'll look new.

The rear lights are super easy to take off. Search on youtube for videos on taking off the rear bumper. You'll see it's only 1 screw you can twist off by hand or with a screw driver.
Rear bumpers don’t need to be removed in order to take the rear lights off… I’ve taken mine off many a times. Even the inner boot lid you just remove the brackets from the easy access panel.

~Alex

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Alex mate you are a star well done!!! AND I agree buy a pair cos yours will surely be faded....

Reactions: LeenMachine

·
Registered
2011 A5
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Could try these

Brilliant! Would have never thought of the colors not matching. Good suggestion re: polish and wax, too. Thank you @findalex

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.