Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone get this noise sometimes. Im sure it is a pebble from the road getting betwween the brake disc and the metal guard behind the disc. It has happened occasionally with every car ive had (once in 2 years maybe) but I get it 2 - 3 times per week with my A5. Im figuring it must be down to the design of this gaurd and I notice it is aerodynamically shaped (to aid brake cooling I presume) whereas all the other cars ive had never had this aerodynamic design to the guard.
Typically there is only a couple of mm between guard and brake disc but with the unusual design there are some larger gaps on the A5 allowing stones easy access perhaps.
Anyone getting this?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Is your car stock e.g. lowered, custom wheels, etc.?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is your car stock e.g. lowered, custom wheels, etc.?
Its not lowered and has not got spacers or anything like that fitted. Its running genuine 18" rims with factory spec tyres.
The noise isnt a wheel rubbing. It just happens randomly. It sounds as though there is something caught under the car when it happens but the noise then dissappears and can then appear again later. Its only when rerversing and wheels can be straight or turned, it makes no difference. Im 99% sure its a pebble around the brakes but then everyone should be finding this.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Did you find the fix to this? I have had the same problem over the last week... Very loud sound coming from the brakes area then suddenly goes away... I suspect it is the same issue?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had a stone caught between the caliper and brake disc recently, made the most horrendous noise... scared the sh*t out of me....!

Dislodged itself with no further drama, thankfully.

Do you have a pebble / stone driveway? Not difficult for the tyres to pick one up and send it in the direction of the brake disc. I even sometimes get some lodged in the undertray and it takes a couple of miles and corners for them to work free.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I had a stone caught between the caliper and brake disc recently, made the most horrendous noise... scared the sh*t out of me....!
Haha this happened to me a few weeks ago, drove to work, dont think I used the brakes for 10miles or so on this B road, then got to a set of lights in a small town, and this almighty screeching sound came from the brakes, and wouldnt stop, also scared the crap out of me as to start with I couldnt tell where the hell it was coming from. thankfully it stopped by the time I go to work. Slightly embarrasing creaping along at the busy lights with loads of mums walking their kids to school lol and this super high pitch screeching noise coming from my car lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.