Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
Can anyone help please? I'm having trouble with the coolant temperature of the car not reaching 90 degrees..
I have recently noticed that my car takes a very long time to warm up, it will only hit 90 degrees if going up a hill for a long time, but if i drive across the flat or down a hill, it will drop its temperature to around 50 degrees very quick (a mile or two).
I have also noticed that its using a lot more fuel recently, and if i switch the climate control completely off, it will warm up normaly, but drop back down within a few minutes of turning it back on.
I have had the thermostat changed and still no joy!
Might be worth mentioning that its a 62 plate 2.0 TDI A5.

If anyone has got any suggestions to identify my problem either mechanically or with VCDS ill be very greatfull, thank you

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, i have the same problem in my A5 2.0TDI, the dealer said that one thermostat, two valves and a tube must me replaced to solve the issue. Total: 450eur.....

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
It will be your EGR thermostat! I had exactly the same on my 3.0TDi. The main rad stat was perfect after 110k miles. It was the EGR thermostat that breaks it's clips inside and the actual thermostat is loose inside the housing. The new stat is a better design.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Just for a bit of info, here is my thread on the EGR stat.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It will be your EGR thermostat! I had exactly the same on my 3.0TDi. The main rad stat was perfect after 110k miles. It was the EGR thermostat that breaks it's clips inside and the actual thermostat is loose inside the housing. The new stat is a better design.
Thanks for the reply! I noticed that applies to the 3.0TDI versions a lot, does it also apply to the 2.0 TDI? I been looking for this part for awhile and after several calls to Audi dealers none of them can find it! Could you please tell me where this thermostat is located on the car and how easy it is to change please? If i can find a new part by the weekend Id like to give it a go!

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
On the 3.0tdi it is located in the middle of the V and a bit of a pain to get to. I suspect the 2.0 will be much simpler. Trace the 20mm coolant pipe from the main thermostat housing back and you may find it. I don't know where it is located on the 2.0 I'm afraid.

I'm sure it said 2.0Tdi on the list of models on the part packet!?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On the 3.0tdi it is located in the middle of the V and a bit of a pain to get to. I suspect the 2.0 will be much simpler. Trace the 20mm coolant pipe from the main thermostat housing back and you may find it. I don't know where it is located on the 2.0 I'm afraid.

I'm sure it said 2.0Tdi on the list of models on the part packet!?
Did you order yours from TPS? I cannot find one anywhere that specifies 2.0 TDI. I'm starting to think has my car got one:ROFLMAO:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts