Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just returned from the dealer today very pissed off!

I took the car in on Tuesday (Liverpool AUdi) and informed them of the performance issues and pointed out that it seemed to lack power after the recall work had been done. The dealer said that no work on the engine had been done and the recall was only software. The master tech then went out with me in the car and said everything seemed fine.
I then suggested that we take out another 2.7TDI and compare (this car had only done 1000K miles). After this the master tech agreed with me and said Friday he will compare the output of the 2 cars and ask Germany.

This morning I picked the car up. The investigations did not find any faults and the output seemed the same between the 2 cars.
Then I was told that the cause is the DPF which if I understood correctly is an emission filter on the TDIs and after a number of miles (8500) it reduces output and is very common on other A4s and A3 TDIs and you just have to live with it.

They will locate another 2.7TDI with simular miles and compare!
So as you can imagine I am not happy, I have just payed 38K for a car that will slow down after a number of miles and Audi say this is normal!

Is there anybody else expericening the same issues after doing over 8000 miles?

·
Registered
80 Posts
My car has done over 18K and i did not notice any reduction in performance since having it.... but it hasn't been in to Audi since i bought it

It is going in for a service and no doubt a whole load of software updates on monday, I will let you know if I notice any changes.

Also mine is a 3.0 tdi so maybe the same issues might not apply.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My3.0 tdi has had a number of updates and if anything, it's quicker as the miles pile (11000) on and the engine loosens up.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Jba, i think they could be spot on with that conclusion... if the DPF is working, you first of all have a slower engine response, slightly decreased power output (although, it probably isn't much), and worse fuel economy.

However, it's not "burning itself clean" all the time, it just happens every now and then. I do not know what triggers it exactly, in my experience it happens every 3000 miles. And it perhaps takes 30 mins to complete.

Funny thing is, since I have the Milltek exhaust, this all is audible/noticeable. If you have a custom exhaust and wonder why it sometimes sounds louder than normal, it's probably the DPF working .... or some part fell off... :p

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys,

I understand it could kick in every 3000 miles or so for a limited time period but this is continous.

It seems ok in sport mode, maybe its the gear ratio in Drive mode (its in too high a gear???).At 40 mph my car is at 8th gear!

Also if this was a normal issue then why is it only me (and the mrs) the only ones to notice it?

I will give Audi a week or so to come back to me (which they won't!) and then keep pushing the issue as its really pissing me off.

I thought only mercedes where this bad!

·
Registered
80 Posts
didn't realise yours was an auto.... mine is a manual....

maybe ( I am only thinking aloud here), Audi thought that the fuel comsumptions figures for the 2.7 was a bit on the low side and the software changed the auto configuration.... is that even possible ?

if it is normal in sport mode, I would think the engine has not decreased in output..... maybe just the way the auto box handles the gear changes is giving you the "feel" of a slower car...

What do you reckon ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could be the gear ratio in Drive mode. However my mrs noticed the difference on the motorway and said it lacked pull when you put your foot down.

it could be that they changed it to stay in a higher gear and it does not kick down as fast and this is the reason for less torque.

They are still claiming that the update had nothing to do with the engine or gearbox and maybe they are right because nobody else has noticed a difference after the recall?

Maybe its the fuel as the last few top ups were at different petrol stations? but that should not effect a car like this? should it?

All I know is that if a warning light does not come on then the mechanics are stumped!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts