Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After placing an order in August with a NJ dealer and waiting so long with a delivery date of 12/15, I have made the decision to not get the S5. I am getting a 535xi with sport pkg 18 inch plus a lot of other goodies.

Why do you ask? The dealer who swore it wouldn't be asking a fair market value has now said to me that it will be appllying one. I have never paid one and will never pay one. I got very upset, as you can imagine, because they changed their mind after quoting me MSRP price and then discounting it with Audi Loy and audi care to now a 5k surcharge. ( fair market value). This knocked the lease price out of range for me and the dealer showed no remorse by basically saying, well if you don't take it, we have another person in line that will for that price. So you have a day to decide. I told them no thanks and give me my deposit back. Its a shame because this was my preferred car.

Anyway, its been nice to chat with all of you and maybe the RS5 will be out when my 2 year lease is up on the 535xi. You can bet I will never go to that dealer again.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Thats a shame, sorry to hear that :(

I guess we pay higher prices, but at least they are fixed prices, with no dealer mark-ups .........

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Good luck with the new car!

Hopefully speak to you when you return to an Audi :)

·
Registered
314 Posts
535 is a great car, enjoy it!

·
Registered
298 Posts
That's terrible. I just ordered mine yesterday and sincerely hope no tricks are attempted with me. What is the name and location of the dealer? It might be good to make that public knowledge.

·
Registered
273 Posts
After placing an order in August with a NJ dealer and waiting so long with a delivery date of 12/15, I have made the decision to not get the S5. I am getting a 535xi with sport pkg 18 inch plus a lot of other goodies.

Why do you ask? The dealer who swore it wouldn't be asking a fair market value has now said to me that it will be appllying one. I have never paid one and will never pay one. I got very upset, as you can imagine, because they changed their mind after quoting me MSRP price and then discounting it with Audi Loy and audi care to now a 5k surcharge. ( fair market value). This knocked the lease price out of range for me and the dealer showed no remorse by basically saying, well if you don't take it, we have another person in line that will for that price. So you have a day to decide. I told them no thanks and give me my deposit back. Its a shame because this was my preferred car.
If you have proof of the order -- ie, they committed to sell to you at a specific price and you put down a deposit -- you should sue them for breach of contract. If they're right, and FMV is $5K over sticker, you will win the case, and you can use the fact that they're selling your car at that price against them. (A little free legal advice from this lawyer; usually worth what you pay for it, but there it is.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
There are plenty of S5's out there and no reason to pay over list price. Check out all the cars on www.autotrader.com. Sorry your dealer screwed you.

I have to say... it's just not fun working with car dealers... there seems always to be some slime factor in the deal... trade in, rates, mark ups... it really take the fun out of it. If you're willing to just walk in and buy a car without asking for them to give you some deal I'm sure it's fine. :mad:

·
Registered
273 Posts
You can file pro se. I see you are in NJ. Go to the NJ courts online website, http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/ There's a link for "represent yourself in court." It has all the forms, which you can fill out online. Print them, mail them to the court with the filling fee. Follow the directions. Voila, you've sued your dealer, and you should be in line for, essentially, a $5,000 discoount on your 535 courtesy of the dealer who stiffed you.

·
Registered
158 Posts
People are talking about all the cars on Autotrader good luck getting one.
My buddy tried "sorry we sold that one but if you want to order one".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Try another dealer? I understand your frustration but by all means DO NOT GET another car if the S5 was REALLY what you wanted.

good luck!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you have proof of the order -- ie, they committed to sell to you at a specific price and you put down a deposit -- you should sue them for breach of contract. If they're right, and FMV is $5K over sticker, you will win the case, and you can use the fact that they're selling your car at that price against them. (A little free legal advice from this lawyer; usually worth what you pay for it, but there it is.)

This is where the dealer said that because I placed a deposit back in August, there were no set prices then. Since the paper work was filled out back in August it just stated the options and my deposit, but no pricing. In fact it stated Audi pricing TBA. My lease price was all verbally confirmed and written down on my end, but no "offical paper work" was filled out because my salesman said we needed to do that when the car arrived to get the latest money factors and audi program. So all I have is the paperwork from August.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can file pro se. I see you are in NJ. Go to the NJ courts online website, http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/ There's a link for "represent yourself in court." It has all the forms, which you can fill out online. Print them, mail them to the court with the filling fee. Follow the directions. Voila, you've sued your dealer, and you should be in line for, essentially, a $5,000 discoount on your 535 courtesy of the dealer who stiffed you.

Thank you for all the advice.

·
Registered
643 Posts
It would be terrible if you let one d*ckhead dealer not let you get that car. If you really want the car (and I'm assuming by your handle and post count you at least did at some point), find another dealer.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It would be terrible if you let one d*ckhead dealer not let you get that car. If you really want the car (and I'm assuming by your handle and post count you at least did at some point), find another dealer.
I don't know the steps to take to get that car unalotted? from that dealer and have the car follow me to another dealer.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Pricing above MSRP

Sorry to hear that your dealer is attempting to exploit you.

This is really bad practice... its penalizing the true Audi Enthusiast ... some members even placed an order before seeing the car - that's true commitment and enthusiasm!

This car is not cheap either, and last month Audi sold around 150 S5's across the USA, so despite what dealers will have you believe they are not selling like" hot cakes"

Its a shame not to own such a beautiful car, just because of a greedy dealer.

Have you considered about writing to Audi of America? Its easy to send them an email via "audi-talk" I am sure they will be sympathetic and may be able to do something for you - after all they want to keep loyal customers coming back every few years to trade up to the next exotic machine!

Well, good luck to you:)

·
Registered
273 Posts
This is where the dealer said that because I placed a deposit back in August, there were no set prices then. Since the paper work was filled out back in August it just stated the options and my deposit, but no pricing. In fact it stated Audi pricing TBA. My lease price was all verbally confirmed and written down on my end, but no "offical paper work" was filled out because my salesman said we needed to do that when the car arrived to get the latest money factors and audi program. So all I have is the paperwork from August.
Audi pricing TBA means Audi's sticker price. sue the bastards. (In fact, maybe if you tell them you're going to sue, you'll get your car; the one you really wanted, at your price.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just picked up my new 535xi. Its a good car. Certainly no S5, but good enough.

The dealer got very defensive when I mentioned suing him and his dealership but maintained that since no prices were out when ordered that it meant he could put whatever price he wanted on the car. Anyway, too much time and effort wasted so I just cut my losses and will never get a car there again. To all that asked me who

Riverside Audi New Jersey. Avoid them.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Phantom really sorry to here about that. Shame you won't have an S5 now. However just because you have a BMW don't let that stop you from posting on the forum - i for one didn't stop when I thought I was getting the GT-R. We have a great bunch of people on here - big up to jeff_sc for the legal advice, good to see other members on here trying to help where they can.

On another note, I think it may be an idea to start a thread which lists dealers to stay away from and put it as a sticky so that prespective buyers know exactly what dealers to stay away from. I think its about time we the consumers fight back against dick head dealers.

Oh and the 535xi is a great car, the engine is fantastic, love the low down torque it has, makes it feel rapid. On top of that its 4 wheel drive so hope you enjoy. Maybe you could post a review after you have driven it a bit more to give everyone an idea of how the car is.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Review of 535xi. Its a great car peroid. Its handles great with the 18inch wheels. It has big meaty 275/35 in the back. The idrive isn't as good as the mmi on my wifes Q7. Its it more intuitive in the Audi. The BMW does the same stuff but too confusing when you shoud be pulling back or spinning the wheel. The car itself handles great. The engine offers power right off the line and keeps going. It feels like a small v-8. It handles flat in corners with no dive when braking hard. It has the new sport trans which is always in the right gear and really thinks with you when you want to kick it down to pass or going through the twisties. it has nice room in the back for my two kids and a good size trunk. You better be out of the way of the trunk lid when you open it up because is comes up quick, really quick. The confort access is something it came with but now that I have it, won't get another car without it. It is just too easy to leave the keys in your pocket and open or lock the doors and start the car. All in all a great car. Like I said its not an S5 but not much is and if this had to be a "back up" car it is certainly no slouch.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Review of 535xi. Its a great car peroid. Its handles great with the 18inch wheels. It has big meaty 275/35 in the back. The idrive isn't as good as the mmi on my wifes Q7. Its it more intuitive in the Audi. The BMW does the same stuff but too confusing when you shoud be pulling back or spinning the wheel. The car itself handles great. The engine offers power right off the line and keeps going. It feels like a small v-8. It handles flat in corners with no dive when braking hard. It has the new sport trans which is always in the right gear and really thinks with you when you want to kick it down to pass or going through the twisties. it has nice room in the back for my two kids and a good size trunk. You better be out of the way of the trunk lid when you open it up because is comes up quick, really quick. The confort access is something it came with but now that I have it, won't get another car without it. It is just too easy to leave the keys in your pocket and open or lock the doors and start the car. All in all a great car. Like I said its not an S5 but not much is and if this had to be a "back up" car it is certainly no slouch.

Sorry you weren't able to get the car you really wanted. Good to know about Riverside. I absolutely love my dealership, Bell (in Rahway, although they'll be moving to Edison sometime in '08). They've been great not only on sales but also service.

I still think you should sue Riverside, which I predict would force them to pay you something to settle and thus at least compensate you for some of the aggravation. My guess is they would rather settle than risk a trial, and they would also want to avoid the expense of defending themselves -- as an individual you can sue pro se, but as a corporatiopn they can only appear through a lawyer, so it will likely cost them more to defend and win (and they shouldn't win) than it will to pay you to go away.

In any event, enjoy the 535xi, and I do have to commend you on what, unfortunately, turned out to be quite a prescient and ironic choice of screen name.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts