Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

Norwich traffic

3K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  REB_A5 
#1 ·
I know there are a fair few Norfolk residents on here.

How bad is the traffic on Norwich? I am on holiday in Cromer in the family caravan on the cliff top (an interesting experiencde tonight with the lovely weather:eek:) and me and the mrs went shopping in Norwich today.

Got there at 11am and left at 3pm. Entered in a queue of traffic and left in a queue of traffic. not even rush hour. I've only been there a few times and its the same every time. Have I struck unlucky or is this common?

#2 · (Edited)
You came in from the wrong side of the City Booster :D

If you know the roads and Lanes, you can actually nip through quite quickly, but coming in from the Northern side is always best avoided..... less you have to that is :rolleyes:

BUT..... It is a Very Fine City.... and the Place to Be :cool:

EDIT> What park you on ?? I used to have a Van on Forest Park !!

#3 ·
Have to say I do like Norwich for the boozers! Mate of mine was at UEA and I used to come over and get smashed in 1993/4.

Kept getting caught out by the mrs eyeing up the fit birds in the shops. Far better eye candy than back home in Leicester!!!

#4 ·
We are on Wyndham Park. Perfect for the Red Arrows on Carnival day!! Family have had a van here for more than 30 years. Cliff edge keeps getting closer:eek:

#6 ·
Cromer Carnaval :D That is great when you Get descent weather, you should take your car on the Parade next year :cool:

#5 ·
The A47 all the Way OMG what a road......

Only Been to Leicester a couple of times to catch my Sister at Nelson Mandela Park (Touring Circus) I think if i remember rightly your one way system was appalling at the time (a good ten years ago though)

#7 ·
I think if i remember rightly your one way system was appalling at the time
Yep, that's the one:mad: Still the same, if not worse!

#12 ·
LOL :D

What you driving while your waiting for your new Baby Booster ??

#8 ·
Hi Booster / dbs2

My current pet hate - the Norwich traffic.
The trouble is the rest of the UK has ignored us for so long, the infrastructure just isn't in place. Not always a bad thing and as dbs2 said - once you know the lanes it becomes a lot easier to avoid the holiday makers :rolleyes:

I've lived here 13 years and wouldn't move anywhere else though.

Trouble is I live halfway between Cromer and Norwich yet work south of the city so have to fight my way through daily and as dbs2 said from the north is the worst route.

Anyway have a great holiday and I'll be in Cromer a bit so I'll keep my eyes open for you. Cheers :) How long are you here for?

dbs2 - you might be one of the growing number of Norfolk A5's i see on my daily commute (Aylsham - Rackheath - Broadland Business Park - A47 - A146 - Beccles)?

#10 ·
Hi Marim :)

I have started to see one ?5 on my route (In the Acle Area) but it's sorta the wrong way for you... I'm alternate days :rolleyes:

6:30 Hemsby - Filby - Acle - Trowse 7:00
6:45 Hemsby - Scratby - Caister - Gt. Yarmouth 7:00

Getting into both at these times is a Doddle, when i was weekending in Cromer Nipping straight through the city rather than ring road would only put 10 Mins on my Journey !!

So you have to pass the Audi Showroom every Day aswell !!

#19 ·
Must be all the folks racing to get home or am I the only one old enough to remember what NORWICH stands for:p.

#20 ·
:eek:

#9 ·
Norwich is fine for traffic generally. No better or worse than other places. I do remember the days when you could drive to Norwich (or Ipswich) during the day and have a virtually clear run all the way through (and I am only 36 - its the massive increase in house building without much improvement to roads thats the cause). However, its more or less solid traffic nowadays although speed doesnt tend to get less than 50 most of the time.

Coming into Norwich from Yarmouth or Lowestoft isnt bad but I think coming in from Kings Lynn can be a bit heavy at times. Coming in from Cromer is probably the worst as that doesnt have the benefit of the outer ring road. Plus it merges with the old Yarmouth road and that bit is always busy.

I love Norwich. When of the best cities in the Country.

#11 · (Edited)
Afternoon guys,

Getting to Norwich from my side of the City is a doddle, takes 5mins, then another 5mins finding somewhere to park. Wymondham has great access to Norwich, and out of the County. I'm not really often North of Norwich but I do enjoy the drive to the coast via my Grandparents in Swanton Novers. Not had the chance to do it in my A5 yet, but the country lanes are great fun.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday Booster.

Oh just to add, been here all my life and wouldnt move anywhere else either. :)

#13 ·
Hi Robb :)

I Love Wymondham, Great Little Market Town ..... I've done loads of Work around there, i Reckon it's the perfect Distance out of Norwich, and a great Position on the ONLY descent road out of this Place.... the Good ole A11 !!

#14 ·
Heh, yeh its does have a good location, and quite a charm to it. The A11 is getting there, a bit more dual carriageway and it'll be a lot better.

Doubledoom: Sent you a message Dave, let us know here if you can make any of those dates I proposed or give me a call when ever your free.
Could start a thread see if there are any other members would be interested or visitors lurking about from around here. If you dont mind people taking advantage of your skills that is :D Could go for a little cruise and lunch or something.

#15 ·
Lunch as well :D

#16 ·
Lunch?!

Who'd have thought searching the forum for 'lunch' would actually find something?!

Norfolk is great. I personally love the twisty roads through somerleyton when dashing from Norwich to Lowestoft. I'm not so keen on popping out to our kings lynn office, although the dualing of the dereham bypass has knocked a couple of minute off at least.

I agree with rob about the A11, its much quicker to the midlands for me than the A47. You've just gotta avoid elvedon at rush hour!

As for Norwich I commute to the football club every day and find it quickest coming off the A47 at Trowse. I used to crawl through the city centre and do 4/5 less miles but take 10 minutes longer!

#17 ·
Like to add a thumbs-up for Norfolk as well. We have friends in the Holt/Sheringham area who we visit every couple of months. Only problem is the drag getting to/from the A1. Maybe that's what's helped Norfolk keep its charm - or as others might say - kept things in the family :D

#18 ·
Maybe that's what's helped Norfolk keep its charm - or as others might say - kept things in the family :D
LOL :D

I'm really stuffed - live in Norfolk now and my wife's from the Lincolnshire fens so we're completely surrounded by family :D

#23 ·
What does it mean then :D

#25 ·
Opps... Yep, I remember :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.