Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from Canada!

My wife currently has 19" OEM wheels on her car running the OEM 255/35/19 tires. Her car is a 2009 A5 3.2 manual.

Since the car will be used in the winter, she desperately wants to put on "all weather" tires she had great success with on her Audi TT. I must admit...the tires (Vredestein Quattrac Pro) performed amazingly well on all surfaces in all conditions, so I can't really argue against her choice.

However, the closest sized tires that match her current set-up are 245/40/19. This represents a slightly larger rolling difference of 2.7%. At 50MPH, her speedo will read 51.6mph. So not a tremendous difference. Contact patch will be smaller, but this is of no consequence to her...this is just a car she drives "normally" on the street. She has another car she uses when she wants to do spirited driving. There is anecdotal evidence that a slightly narrower tire is preferred in the winter.

My question...will this pose any difficulties for the AWD system? I'm aware that all tires should be the same rolling diameter, but am unsure if something incrementally larger will pose any problems. My gut says "probably not", but I am no expert on the Quattro in this car.

If anyone has any insight please share.

Thanks so much for your time and replies.

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
I too have some experience with the Vredstein all weather tyres and I too have found them EXCELLENT. I fitted them on to my lady's Tiguan (15 or 16", not sure) and we are now on the second set. The first set lasted almost 45k kms and were still ok but I prefer to keep her safe so I purchased another set. Like Neil says all ok and indeed as you mentioned slighty slimmer tyres can be an advantage on snow, look at the Suzuki Jimny or the Fiat Panda then can both go almost anywhere!!

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
OR you could buy some used 17 or 18" wheels and equip them with Winter tyres???? I have 2 sets for my van.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts