Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hadnt really noticed this before, so I dont know how long it has been going on, but there is an unpleasant noise that my car's engine makes at idle (and also at any other time, but I noticed it at idle.) I got out of the car the other day, and it sounds loudest when I listen from under neath, behind the front wheels. It's the kind of noisy clunky tinny cheap sound a 100,000 mile old 1970s Ford engine would make.

I'll try to get an MP3 uploaded and play it here, but Im wondering for now, how quiet is your engine at idle? I dont mean to say anything about exhaust, Im talking about other noises. This one just does not sound right and it seems to be getting louder. I thought maybe I was really low on oil, but Im full up.

Do any of you hear odd noises from your engine? Id think it would be just a soft whir and a nice exhaust purr, but this is crappy sounding. It's almost like something is rattling around.

I think my car must have been built on a Friday....sigh. :(

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Dude, my engine (not exhaust) is practically silent.

If you're worried, take it straight to the dealership.

If it really is loud and like 'high-pitched' or tinny diesel engine, then you have a gearbox issue, probably a slack bearing.

Just take it to the dealiership. :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
checked again....

Im beginning to think it is an exhaust rattle of some kind close to the engine. I stuck my head underneath the car and it has that sound of something vibrating and slightly hitting up against something else. I will have to get someone else in the car to adjust the engine speed to see how it changes. More later...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts