Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for those of us with Navigation options and no SD card slot - there is an optional cable we can order for attachment to the sound system through the glove compartment, and I believe one of the cables offered has a standard USB connection. Has anyone tried attaching an SD card, or for that matter any storage device like a hard drive to this cable to see if the sound system will recognize the device? This may be an alternaive for those of us with Nav system who want to also use SD - I don't have a cable so I thought I'd ask.
P.S. Obviously you would need an adapter for the SD card to attach to USB which you can buy at any electronics store for $10.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
You will need the Audi Media Interface (AMI) option to be able to do this.

As far as I am aware, no AMI option means no USB or Ipod connectivity. By AMI, I also include the Gateway 500 system.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Question for those of us with Navigation options and no SD card slot - there is an optional cable we can order for attachment to the sound system through the glove compartment, and I believe one of the cables offered has a standard USB connection. Has anyone tried attaching an SD card, or for that matter any storage device like a hard drive to this cable to see if the sound system will recognize the device? This may be an alternaive for those of us with Nav system who want to also use SD - I don't have a cable so I thought I'd ask.
P.S. Obviously you would need an adapter for the SD card to attach to USB which you can buy at any electronics store for $10.
I'm currently using the USB cable connected to AMI with a 4GB USB flash drive. I can test the SD card adapter option later tonight. (Will first need to go by my parents' house to pick up their SD card and USB card adapter which they use for the digital camera.) Will report back my findings hopefully later tonight.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
SD card in USB adapter works fine

I tested a 1GB SD card with a USB adapter connected to AMI this evening and it works perfectly. For my test I created 3 folders with several mp3's in each. I was able to successfully scroll the songs and navigate to different folders just like I can with my USB flash drive.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally had a chance to get out and purchase a 4GB and 8GB USB stick for my A5 sound system. I have a loaded A5 S-line with Navigation and 6-CD changer with NO SD-Card slot. My only option was to buy a $75 USB cable from Audi and place an SD card or USB stick in the glovebox. I'm happy to say that my system recognized both the 4GB and 8GB USB drive so I now have all my 3,554 songs from my computer loaded with tons of room on the USB drive to spare. Subdirectories are recognized as well so I can also sort my music by artist. NO MORE BURING CD's !!!!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Finally had a chance to get out and purchase a 4GB and 8GB USB stick for my A5 sound system. I have a loaded A5 S-line with Navigation and 6-CD changer with NO SD-Card slot. My only option was to buy a $75 USB cable from Audi and place an SD card or USB stick in the glovebox
Frank, did you have AMI fitted then? as i understand the only way of incorporating this cable is to have AMI which is very expensive fitted (approx. £500.00 audi have quoted).

£50 for a simple cable is a much better option for me. did i read right then?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AMI is not an option in NA - I assume it comes with the standard upgrade with you order the NAV package. The only thing I needed was the proper cable which plugs into a glovebox connector (4 cable options available)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.