Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My understanding is that some of our members have received 2.0TFSIs recently. Any chance of a review? Just wondering whether it's worth the personal risk of trying to write off my current 1.8TFSI and get it replaced (joke).

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just to follow up on the previous first impressions shown in thread above. Had drive from Salisbury to Guildford and then on to London on Monday. Superb. Very quiet - can hardly hear the engine under normal conditions infact tyre noise is the predominant sound when the B & O is off. Gearing ratios are very low more like a diesel. Pickup in 6th, even now, is surprisingly reasonable. Lovely, low end growl from the engine under more rapid acceleration (however I have not yet let it rip at this low mileage). I get the distinct impression that after the running-in period the engine will be a refined beast!
The steering is great - very precise and less "flighty" than my previous A4 (which was also very good). Lane changing is an absolute delight. The only thing is that at low speed there is a hint of camber steer when the steering is very light - but you soon adapt to this. As for the brakes- what can I say-so smooth and efficient; typical Audi. I have to say that I find the hill hold auto really good for stop start driving. It removes the temptation to hold the car on the clutch and the pull-away is as smooth as silk.
I really think that this engine is going to be the one as far as petrol is concerned. It will never have the wall of torque that the 3.0 TDi has but it's environmental credentials are better and I do not think that it will disappoint.
Overall then, BLOODY BRILLIANT:D:D:D

·
Registered
479 Posts
So you like it then????:D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Spot on assessment by G80FA. I've done just over 400 miles since I got the car last Friday and have been hugely impressed. The engine will be a classic. And I say that as someone who's last car was an RX8 whose engine was a constant joy (except at the fuel pump).

The 2.0T engine is unbelievably smooth and quiet. At traffic lights I've needed to check the rev counter to see it's still running. Yet there's a very pleasing growl as you move up the rev range.

Although new and obviously tight, it revs freely and delivers power progressively from about 2500 with a real kick coming in around 4000 revs. I'm reluctant to thrash it until it's well run in, but it pulls much more strongly than the 1.8T (though it's almost five months since I had my 1.8T test drive).

So far the computer is registering an average of 29.1 mpg for the total distance I've driven. The best I got was over 39 mpg on an 80 mile run over mixed roads. This was not hard driving so I don't expect to do much better than that, and as I do a lot of town driving I expect the overall average to drop to the high 20s. But I'll be very pleased with that after <20 mpg in the Mazda. Who knows, it may even get better as it loosens up.

The overall driving experience is very good. The steering is pin-sharp although turn-in is not just as precise as the Mazda, nor is the roadholding quite as good - but I didn't expect that. There is some torque steer under hard acceleration on poor surfaces, I guess you just can't beat RWD (or quattro). But I didn't set out to buy another sports car.

So far I've found the car at its best on well-surfaced, wide roads, not so good on the tight twisty stuff. The brakes are fantastic, progressive with great feel. I have the hill-hold and now never drive without it.

Overall, I'd second G80FA's "brilliant" score. Can't wipe the smile from my face and it's amazing the excuses I've made to get out for a run.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Please keep the reviews coming.........

Been looking through all the usual car mags in the hope they would be testing the A5 2.0 TFSI Sport (Quattro or FWD it doesn't matter) by now, but no joy yet! :(

My A5 2.0 TFSI Sport Quattro is not due until mid-December so I'm really enjoying the reviews and pics (on the other threads) – so please keep them coming as my dealer doesn't even know when they will get one for me to test drive!

Can anyone do a review on the A5 2.0 TFSI Sport Quattro if they have one?

Looking forward to the next installment already!

Cheers
Addy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ditto. Would really like a review on the quattro model. I have been informed by my dealer that my 2.0 TFSI Quattro should be ready for collection in September. Going by what I have read so far, it's going to be worth the wait:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.