Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I usually quite bad at checking the oil level with the dipstick, but have got quite used to using the feature in the MMI.

Driving home the other night, I was stuck in traffic and thought I would have a quick glance. I was surprised to see that the guage was showing empty.

I know the guage was working on the basis that a couple of weeks ago there was about a third in it.

Im not concerned about the fact the engine has used all of its oil, its only done 3k and I was expecting that. But, shouldn't I have had a warning that it was low before it hit the bottom?

·
Registered
636 Posts
I thought there was an eninge oil warning light in the DIS?

I would be more concerned about the engine using all the oil at 3K miles.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Jock,

Yeah, I thought there was a warning light too reading other posts on here. I know that with other cars, the oil warning is based on pressure, and not level, which can mean the light doesn't come on until its a bit late Given this is a level indicator I assumed it would be different.

As for the oil being used, all my cars have used oil for the first couple of 1000 miles, its quite normal to my mind that it does as the engine beds in.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I'm no expert on engines but I have yet to add a drop of oil to my 1.8T after almost 1 year and 14k miles. The level still shows 3/4 full. The Missus' car has covered almost 11k miles in 6 months and it shows just over half full.

Like I say I'm no expert, but it does sound odd that the 2.0T would use so much more oil than the 1.8T or even the 3.0TDi.

Being as busy as I am today I just read the manual. The oil-can symbol will light up in the DIS if the oil level is low. There was nothing relating to oil pressure.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I'm no expert on engines but I have yet to add a drop of oil to my 1.8T after almost 1 year and 14k miles. The level still shows 3/4 full. The Missus' car has covered almost 11k miles in 6 months and it shows just over half full.

Like I say I'm no expert, but it does sound odd that the 2.0T would use so much more oil than the 1.8T or even the 3.0TDi.

Being as busy as I am today I just read the manual. The oil-can symbol will light up in the DIS if the oil level is low. There was nothing relating to oil pressure.
if you took it in for service than they surely changed your oil and filled it to the top

·
Registered
636 Posts
if you took it in for service than they surely changed your oil and filled it to the top
Never been for a service. According to the car it doesn't want an oil change for another 3k miles.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Never been for a service. According to the car it doesn't want an oil change for another 3k miles.
it could be the sensor. my car kept telling me that i had too much oil so i went in and they took out half a quart, all is well for about a month and then it comes on again so i know for sure this time that it has to be the sensor because i didnt add any oil. it gave me the "max oil" warning for about a week and the day im about to take it in it goes away. this was about 1000 miles ago. i say you should just go to the dealer and have them check it out, either way it should be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
871 Posts
The difference between the full mark and the empty mark will be about 1 litre of oil. Personally I like to keep mine at the top.
I think 1 litre in 3000 miles is excesive these days. I have used about 1 litre in 9500 miles

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I hedged my bets and put 0.5 litres of the oil supplied with the car. Now the system says that it is unable to retrieve the information which makes me think that there may be a problem with the sensor.

I think i'll take your advice and head down to the stealers to see what they say.

Thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts