Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In previous Audi's they had this button, called "econ" which would run the heat in the car for 30 minutes even after the car had been turned off. To keep the cabin at the same temp as you left it.

I was just curious to see if this feature remain on the A5/S5? i know there is no "econ" button, but perhaps it maybe a hidden feature in the climate control computer.

I did do a search, and no luck.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
You press the AC button and it turns of the AC in the same way econ did.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry maybe i didn't understand, but if i press the ac button, while the car is completely off. It will have the same effect of having an econ button?

·
Registered
35 Posts
The old ECON button simply disables the Air Conditioning as this takes up a lot of the engines power to run. By pressing the ECON button, it will turn off the air con and give you better fuel economy.

The a5/S5 does have an ECON button but instead is called AC.

There is no link as far as I am aware between any AC or ECON button and keeping the cabin warm!

·
Registered
435 Posts
I think the people replying to this thread are missing your question completely. The feature you describe is the ability to hit a button and have the fan continue to blow hot air from the engine into the car while you run in to get coffee with the car off. It is in the owner's manual, but I can't remember which button it is. I recommend you do a quick browse for the feature. I seem to remember it being a quick tip or something. Also, search the forum, because I am pretty sure it has been brought up before.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I think the people replying to this thread are missing your question completely.
No.

The feature you describe is the ability to hit a button and have the fan continue to blow hot air from the engine into the car while you run in to get coffee with the car off.
That isnt what Eco does on any other heating system. ECO turns off the air con unit and turns the heating system into an old fashioned style blower.

I have heard of a similar system to what you speak of but that is something different to the economy button on the heating system.

·
Registered
435 Posts
No.

That isnt what Eco does on any other heating system. ECO turns off the air con unit and turns the heating system into an old fashioned style blower.

I have heard of a similar system to what you speak of but that is something different to the economy button on the heating system.
You are right, ECON does excatly what you are saying when the car is running and it can be accomplished in our car's by hitting the a/c button when auto is engaged. However, this wasn't a question about ECON functionality, it was a question about the ECON button and a convenience feature that was tied to it in previous AUDI models.

After he shut the car off in a previous AUDI, he would press the "ECON" button, and it would continue to run the FAN in the car blowing the residual heat of the engine into the car so the interior wouldn't cool down as much. He is confused since our car's don't have a button labelled ECON anymore.

·
Registered
483 Posts
What would be even better is an ECON button that cuts power and fuel consumption by shutting off a user-choosable number of cylinders. This will come in very handy when you are stuck in traffic.

·
Registered
68 Posts
ragazzi,
I think this is what you are speaking of? In the Owner’s Manual there is a section called “Turning the climate control on and off” (p. 98 in the US manual). After the “Tips” icon it states:

“With the ignition turned off, you can activate the residual heat function by pressing the “OFF” button. The residual heat from the coolant is used to heat the vehicle interior.”

·
Registered
68 Posts
What would be even better is an ECON button that cuts power and fuel consumption by shutting off a user-choosable number of cylinders. This will come in very handy when you are stuck in traffic.
I like the fact that if you have the AC on and punch it from a stand still, the AC temporarily switches off to save engine power. :) (p. 96 US manual)

·
Registered
435 Posts
ragazzi,
I think this is what you are speaking of? In the Owner’s Manual there is a section called “Turning the climate control on and off” (p. 98 in the US manual). After the “Tips” icon it states:

“With the ignition turned off, you can activate the residual heat function by pressing the “OFF” button. The residual heat from the coolant is used to heat the vehicle interior.”
Do you have pics of your car? That blue looks sexy.

To the other guy that asked for the cylinder shut off, I couldn't agree with you more. It seems like a really easy thing to do in software. Also, while they are in there, a higher 6th gear would be great. I find 5th gear to be useless, and 3k RPM at 75 is ridiculous in a 354HP V8, unless I was towing a boat. In my opinion they should either shut off cylinders or make a taller 6th.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I find 5th gear to be useless
I find it to be rather good. Driving though the peak district earlier in the year (lots of hills and bends), 5th gear was able to handle the range easily.

However, like you I do feel that 6th and 5th are too close to each other

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I'm really missing the old 'clockwork' windows the old 80 had too.........

1 - 15 of 15 Posts