Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a nub when it comes to my newly purchased 2011 S5 (Canada) so I hope I don't sound too stupid but when I set the light switch to O (Off) I have no exterior lights at all with the engine running or not, daylight or dark.

I assumed that I would have at least the front DRLs even with the switch off especially with the engine running. I went out to review the current headlight situation on the car and reprogram it to have rear DRLs on as well as fronts and to disable the LED "wink" with the turn signal on I noticed once in the reflection from the car in front of me.

So should the Off setting really turn off everything including the DRLs?

I'm confused. Thanks for any clarity you can offer.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Not sure about canadian spec, but uk cars still have the front DRL on when light switch is at O (off). The only way to switch DRL off is via CAR menu in MMI. So to me it sounds like yours is behaving oddly. Have you checked the MMI settings?

·
Registered
637 Posts
I assumed that I would have at least the front DRLs even with the switch off especially with the engine running. I went out to review the current headlight situation on the car and reprogram it to have rear DRLs on as well as fronts and to disable the LED "wink" with the turn signal on I noticed once in the reflection from the car in front of me

how have you done the above?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I was able to figure out my confusion with the aid of a helper.

The DRLs come on only when the parking brake is released. If the parking brake is set then all the lights go out when the switch is set to O (Off) or set to Auto with daylight.

LogosGil, I used the VAGCOM cable and software from Ross Tech. It is documented elsewhere but the latest software 11.11 has check boxes to set these options so adding tail lights to the DRL was one checkbox, disabling the wink feature another.

Both settings now work great now that I mostly understand how the lights work :)

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
New A3 DRL's turn off when you swith Auto Lights to 'O'.

Cheers

RG

·
Registered
636 Posts
New A3 DRL's turn off when you swith Auto Lights to 'O'.<br> <br>
Cheers<br> <br>
RG
The new SLK does the same. The LED strips are only on when the light switch is at auto. They go out when the headlights come on, so, there is no way to manually control when your LED are on or off.

I'm sure that won't put you off buying a Merc, RG. ;)

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Hi Jock... you're back then! I thought you had emigrated!!

I love older Mercs Jock but the current rebadged Chryslers just aren't the same as some of the earlier classy stuff + I don't do bling.

New SL looks awesome though but take a look at Autocar this week... Used SL500 with all the bits less than £10k... now that's cheap!

Cheers

RG

·
Registered
374 Posts
The DRLs come on only when the parking brake is released. If the parking brake is set then all the lights go out when the switch is set to O (Off) or set to Auto with daylight.
With mandatory DRL in Canada, most cars do this.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Hi Jock... you're back then! I thought you had emigrated!!

I love older Mercs Jock but the current rebadged Chryslers just aren't the same as some of the earlier classy stuff + I don't do bling.

New SL looks awesome though but take a look at Autocar this week... Used SL500 with all the bits less than £10k... now that's cheap!

Cheers

RG
I saw that about the used SL's too. Very tempting, but the maintenance costs sound like they make Audi look reasonable!!! Still, very nice.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Interesting- my DRLs are off unless I set it to Auto :)

Only found this out when going through the Eurotunnel - was asked to turn them off and didn't think I could until the ignition was off!

Glad to hear that it seems they can be forced on all the time. Now where did I leave that VCDS cable... :D

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I was able to figure out my confusion with the aid of a helper.

This must be a local thing then. On mine the front DRLs come on when I start the car (I can see them reflected off my garage door). Actually just turning on the ignition (push the key without the clutch pressed) turns them on, that's how I got one of the photos in my set below...

I always leave my lights in Auto, can't see any reason to turn them off to be honest...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts