Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...at least that's what these guys are reporting:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/Audi-Concepts/235305/

The link has some pictures, but they look like the recent RS5 pictures that surfaced.

"Our spy photographers have captured the revised S5 being put through its paces at the Nurburgring, ahead of its launch next year.

Looks have received subtle revisions over the current car, but we know that under its bonnet the new S5 gets Audi’s new supercharged 3.0-litre V6 engine in place of the current model’s 4.2-litre V8.

The new motor made its debut in the recently-revealed S4, and although its 329bhp is slightly down on old V8’s 339bhp, it has more mid-range torque and a broader powerband.

Audi claims the new S4 is 0.5 seconds quicker from 0-62mph than the V8, and if the S5 improves by the same margin then it will drop under 5 seconds for the benchmark acceleration test. Top speed will continue to be limited to 155mph.

The revised S5 will also benefit from the option of a seven-speed twin-clutch DSG transmission and the latest iteration of Audi’s Quattro four-wheel drive system, which uses a torque vectoring active rear differential to assist cornering.

Although the S5 is switching to V6 power, Audi insiders insist that the company is intending to use a V8 in the forthcoming RS5, which should make its debut in 2010.

Prices and final specs for the S5 will be announced ahead of its launch early next year."

·
Registered
122 Posts
These people are pretty damn retarded. First of all, when has Audi completely revised the front air intakes on a facelifted S-vehicle to that extent. And, why the hell does the car have a RS grille if it's the revised S5. And again, why the hell would Audi be working on a newer S5 when it hasn't even introduced the RS5. The people who wrote the article are complete retards just to blatantly state that the car on the ring is a new S5.

And I hope that this degree of idiocracy applies the statement about the supercharged 3.0 V6. I'd much rather keep the V8 on mine; that 3.0s smaller than an A5 3.2's!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Ya i'm calling bulls**t:cool:. However, if it were true it wouldn't make any sense what so ever. Technically the A/S5 models have only been out a year or two and people still have trouble getting they're hands on one. They shouldn't, wouldn't, and couldn't come out with a new face-lifted version. It's too soon. Anyways if they did decide to do it who would care, judging by that picture it doesn't look as nice as the 08-09 models

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
The motoring press must be short of stuff to fill the pages, that is a crazy article. It clearly too early to facelift the A/S5's as much as anything, it would adversly effect residual values and hack off existing owners. I wouldn't be surprised to see the V6 replace the V8 as this would then allow them to differentiate the RS5 more comprehensivly. I wouldn't have bought the S5 if it wasn't a V8. Had countless 6 cylinder cars and none provide the aural experience that a big cube V8 offers.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Autocar publishes some complete and utter sh*t at times.

Incase nobody of you has noticed, the same photos are also in this thread:

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/rs5-spied-4144/index.html

Isn't is funny how all these different sources seem to to refer to 'their photographers' - even though it's the same photos now scattered acorss the internet.

It's also funny how some sites are reporting that "our photographers" heard the sound of a V8. And yet, Autocar are reporting that it was a V6 in the car - complete BULL.

Don't believe a thing that Autocar says.

·
Registered
122 Posts
well as i see, general concensus has it that autocar is complete BS. Glad i'm not the only one realizing something was fishy..

·
Registered
5 Posts
When I took the tour of the Audi factory in Ingolstadt in July, the tourguide mentioned that future S5's would be outfitted with a V6. It appeared to me that this was in response to fuel economy concerns around the world. She mentioned nothing about revamping the exterior looks at the time, but I guess minor enhancements(or not) are normal for future model years.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Why all the anger guys? If Audi are going to put a more economical and less polluting engine in the S5 then who could blame them, especially in the UK market where road tax has risen massively for the most polluting vehicles. Also, the S-tronic will be faster and more economical than the current tiptronic won't it?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
...It's all just speculation and nothing to get heated about.

Personally I can't see a V6 powerplant making it into the range topping S and RS cars. Especially since it won't make much of difference to the carbon emissions if they have the similar power output so the tax argument is moot.

I suggest we all just forget about it until Audi announces something.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes. The new S4. The C02 emissions are significantly better than the S5, as is the fuel consumption.

Or am I misunderstanding something?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
What engine does S4 have?

·
Registered
290 Posts
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_0809_2010_audi_s4/index.html

i really hope the v6 supercharged isnt faster then the v8-because then the 4.2 S5 will actually be slower then the new S4-right??-thatd be a kick of dirt to the face

one of my biggest concerns in getting the s5-is the change in engine............i dont wanna get the car and then a few months later a faster version of it comes out

·
Registered
17 Posts
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_0809_2010_audi_s4/index.html

i really hope the v6 supercharged isnt faster then the v8-because then the 4.2 S5 will actually be slower then the new S4-right??-thatd be a kick of dirt to the face

one of my biggest concerns in getting the s5-is the change in engine............i dont wanna get the car and then a few months later a faster version of it comes out
Just about any car will have a faster next version that will come out. It is called progress. Get over it and embrace it. Same thing happens with electronics, sporting goods, etc.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Engine is just one bit. Weight and other things will impact on that as well.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Audi's performance stats for the 2 cars are:

S5
Power - 349 bhp
Torque - 440 Nm
CO2 - 288g/km
0-62 - 5.1
Unladen weight - 1630kg

S4
Power - 330 bhp
Torque - 420 Nm
CO2 - 219g/km
0-62 - 5.1
Unladen weight - ?

I'm guessing that the S4 weight is pretty similar to the S5s, in which case we can probably assume that the performance of a V6-equipped S5 would be largely similar; although it may give a couple of tenths on 0-62 considering that the present car takes the same 5.1 to do the sprint but with an additional 20bhp and 20Nm.

So a clear 24% reduction in CO2 and closely comparable performance. Personally, I think that it makes huge (business) sense to migrate the V6 into the S5 which in many respects is essentially the same car as the new S4. Would provide consistency and economies of scale for Audi and a common drivetrain platform for the larger 'S' models. Would also seem a bit incongruous to have the 4 with the V6 and its sister with the 8.

So I suspect it's definitely goiing to happen - at least, it's a more believanle rumour than the various RS5 'what ifs' flying around.....

·
Registered
178 Posts
I thougt I heard that S5 will weigh less?? And with DSG available for both models, perhaps we will see faster 0-60 than the previous models. Furthermore, I guess it will be easier to modify supercharged engine than the V8.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts