Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
My car came with the standard 18" wheels ('cos I was too cheap to go with the 19" Y alloys:D).
Once I got the car, I realised this was a great mistake as the 19" units look great. A while ago, I found a second hand set on the internet and bought them - they are the only pair I have seen for sale in the UK before or since.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, these had been used at a tyre test session and were sold on afterwards with brand new Michelin Pilot Sport skins. However, before they sold them, the wheels were coated in a colour I can best describe as Anthracite. They looked OK in the photos but were much too dark 'in the flesh' - my missus said they looked a bit 'gangsta';)

I saw REB_A5 recently who announced that he didn't like them as they looked dirty all the time. I realised he was quite right (thanks REB) so I took them away to be stripped and powder coated. Here are pictures of the result.

Why am I telling you this?
1) Because it offers hope to anyone out there who has kerbed one - they can be refurbished quite easily.
2) I chose a 'black chrome' effect. This means that the 'presentation surfaces' appear to be smoked chrome - but the inner rim area is dark which stops them looking dirty when the dreaded brake dust starts to coat them.
3) The sides of the spokes and recesses are blended. By that I mean the silver powder coat layer gradually fades away to the black 'undercoat' - giving the appearance of more depth. What you see on the sides of the spokes in the pictures isn't shadow - they are sprayed up that way (in a subtle way, of course).
4) Mainly - because I love 'em. Thanks again REB.:D

BTW, the cost (including removing/refitting the wheels, removing/refitting the tyres and balancing the wheels, stripping them back to bare metal, powder coat in black, then silver powder coat, then clear powder coat) - a mere £330 for all 4. Not bad eh.

Anyway, just wanted to share that with you all

Cheers
Plob

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
They look really good. I had mine done at my local Audi garage after they had been grazed. The wheels went in a similar colour to yours which I was happy with and have came out a graphite colour. Im not too pleased with them.
They are now in perfect condition but I would have prefered them to more like what you have done in silver.

Looking good.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Any before and afters (pics)? I would like to know how dark they looked. I understand the dirty look like you said. That comes about just a couple of days after washing. I'm on the fence about powder coating my Y's black.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Blacky,
I'm afraid I dodn't take any 'before' shots - a bit slack of me I'm afraid.
I think the choice of black wheels (or not) is very subjective. I think they would look OK on a light coloured car - but not on my black one.
When you look at the side of the car, there is a polished aluminium strip that runs round the windws. Becase the wheels were black, it made the lower half of the car look strange. If it wasn't for the aluminium strip, it might have looked OK.

Seifufu - they are definitely 19". At least, that's what it says on the tyres:D

Cheers
Plob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts