Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have been spying this site for a few months now. I thought I should join. I'm thinking of ordering an A5 this week. I drove the car and thought it was great. Beautiful to look at and fun to drive? that sounds good to me. The only thing that has stopped me from buying one, is the LA dealers are charging too much for the car. 5K over sticker should be illegal. I understand the demand but, It doesn't just turn me off, it makes me not go to the dealer and maybe test drive another car like an A4, TT , etc. Or place an order. I want nothing to do with that type of dealer. Anyway , I have found a dealer out of state, and will order there. I still need to decide on a couple of options, like B&O , Or just the standard stereo which I thought sounded pretty nice, and maybe 19's or just the 18's. Great site. Thanks for all of the help already.

Chris

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Hi Chris,

Welcome to the site! Glad to hear you found a good dealer out of state that doesn't play that markup game. Good luck in making your final decisions.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Welcome to the site Chris.

I would go for the B&O and all the other gizmos. Only the hill hold is not something I would want. Also the s-line looks pretty good. I love the wheels.

S-line picture:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Xpl0d, just to clarify and to avoid potentially confusing anyone... in that pic you posted, those are not Audi factory wheels. Those are aftermarket "AW Crossline" wheels made by RH.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Hello everyone. I have been spying this site for a few months now. I thought I should join. I'm thinking of ordering an A5 this week. I drove the car and thought it was great. Beautiful to look at and fun to drive? that sounds good to me. The only thing that has stopped me from buying one, is the LA dealers are charging too much for the car. 5K over sticker should be illegal. I understand the demand but, It doesn't just turn me off, it makes me not go to the dealer and maybe test drive another car like an A4, TT , etc. Or place an order. I want nothing to do with that type of dealer. Anyway , I have found a dealer out of state, and will order there. I still need to decide on a couple of options, like B&O , Or just the standard stereo which I thought sounded pretty nice, and maybe 19's or just the 18's. Great site. Thanks for all of the help already.

Chris
Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum. Something to consider...I live in Texas, found my car in Maine, flew to Maine to drive the car (about a $425 for plane ticket, hotel AND car rental for one day on priceline.com), came home...bought the car, had it delivered to me by a premium all enclosed "white glove treatment" car transport company (about 1300 miles) which cost $1500 (took about 4 days to be delivered).

So let's do the quick math... cost of car (sticker) + $425 + $1500 = only $1925 over sticker...plus, since the car was already in the US...no wait time for building and shipping from Germany.

BOOM! saves $3000. :cool: SO you definitely made the right choice for buying out of state.

Good luck on your option selections....I'd go for the B&O.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ive got the B&O and the 19's and would defo recommend them although the ride may be less harsh with smaller wheels but i cannot confirm

·
Registered
45 Posts
Welcome Chris. Those A5/S5's are still very rare here in Southern California.

I placed my order at the end of May after quite a bit of research (you can search for the thread: A5 availability in SoCal). Two major points to keep in mind are the price, and which dealer has an allocation, meaning the right to order a car for prompt production (due to limited delivery of the vehicles, Audi restricts the number of vehicles per dealer, so if a given dealer has exhausted their quota for the next two months, an order you place now would only go into Audi's system two months later).

After calling around to several dealers around LA and Orange county, I was able to find a couple of dealers who would take an order at MSRP, and also be able to deliver in the relatively short time frame of 3 months (about the earliest for a fresh order).

Dealers worth trying are Pacific Audi (I ordered with Ryan there), Circle Audi in Long Beach and Commonwealth Audi in Santa Ana.

I too thought the original sound system sounded excellent, and did not order the B&O speakers. On the wheels, I felt the 19" Y-arm wheels are a major influence on the look of the car, and would strongly recommend those.

Good luck.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Re the ride quality. I test drove with the 20" wheels that had been fitted to a 1.8TA5 and found the ride quality fine.......however i guess its what your used to. My current motor has sports suspension and 18" wheels and the ride quality is firmer / worse than the 20" on the Audi.....a lot worse!!!

I've just ordered the new 2ltrTFSI and went for the 19" wheels Y spokes as the size and wheel design just add that extra look to the car (in my opinion). I'm not concerned about ride quality.........most of my miles are on motorway. Its only my view but i would definately go for the 19's as they set the car off great:D

Good luck with your order
G

·
Registered
359 Posts
Welcome Chris.

I too have 19" split-Y and as someone here linked, this wheel ranked #5 in C&D Online and was photoshopped as the header picture on their article (see my Avatar!)

I'm used to nothing larger than 17" on my old Passat 1.8T so when I purchased my A5, it was already optioned with these beautiful wheels. Pictures really don't do it much justice. You do have to see these in person to appreciate the curves and three dimensional depth it offers; it compliments the flowing line along the sides of the car.

I have noticed more road "feel" over the same work commute pavement than my 17" units; partly due to the dynamic steering 'weight' at freeway speeds. Comfort-wise, they don't feel too different from the 17" but then again, I didn't get a sports package while my Passat did have Bilstein struts with Neuspeed sport coils.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Ordered today!

Hi Guys, Well after many days of thought, I have ordered An 09 A5 . It will not have the 19 inch wheels, since right now the dealer said he could not order them.Thats OK with me. Here are the specs.

09 A5 Auto
Brilliant Black w/ Linen Beige Interior
Premium Package
Navigation

It should be here by the middle of December. I am pretty excited , as well as relieved about getting the right car. I have been back and forth with a Cayman, and even buying another SUV. Well This is the car I wanted all along. I was just so frustrated with the wait time and the dealership experience in LA, I should have done this earlier, I ordered out of state. 500 off MSRP! Not Bad. Thanks for the input.

Actually, The dealer just called me back. He said Linen beige cannot have the Dark Wood Inlays just Light Ash or the Aluminum. Is this true? Bummer

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Do you guys only get $500 off MRSP??? (£300ish). I suppose they are cheap anyway in comparrison to UK then there's the REALLY cheap gasoline.
The 19in Y's are just fine by me BTW

Cheers

RG

·
Registered
457 Posts
Welcome to the site. I know what you mean by the dealer markup. I had to go out of state to get my A5 also, but it was definitley worth the extra effort (the wife and I made a little vacation out of it...a nice drive through the Blue Ridge Parkway in the Rocky Mountains)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Vince,

That's a great choice. I waited four months for mine-just took delivery last month-and I can tell you, like so many others on this forum, it was definitely worth it.

From pictures I have seen, light colored wood looks really nice with linen beige.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts