Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, found this forum through Google - looks great and I'll definitely keep up to date. Order went in through local dealer in the South West, spec as follows: A5 3.0 TDi Sport/Phantom Black/Black leather/19" Y alloys/Stanav+/AMI/B&O/heated seats/parking system +/hill hold assist/interior light pack/cruise control/adaptive lights. Held off on the electric seats after the dealer let slip that there is a problem with the manual ones and all cars are being delivered with electric ones as standard at the moment!
Order won't go to Audi until 1 Nov sadly as the dealer has used up this month's allocation already. Delivery in Jan (I hope - can't wait!)
This will be my 4th new Audi - 95 A4 1.8T Sport, 98 2.8 Quattro, 03 S4 (current car). Each one better than the previous, although the S4 has not been without its problems and boy, it's a thirsty beast! Drove the demonstrator 3.0 TDi A5 and was blown away by how smooth the engine is, and the in-gear acceleration is almost identical to my S4, so made my mind up. Just hope I won't miss the 2 extra doors!
Incidentally, I saw the 19" Y alloys are a fairly dark shade of alloy - is this going to work with Phantom Black, or should I change the spec before the order goes in - I've got a couple of weeks to decide? Any tips welcome, so long as you don't suggest white!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Hopefully your order will follow the same process as the other UK owners recently where we all got ours about 6-8 weeks earlier than we were told (check my sig for my timescale).

Apparantly, Audi were underestimating delivery times early in the year. Now they are over estimating it and it appears they are quoting times if you have the full works added. Personal paint choice and interior will add 4 weeks or so for example.

Although January in your case would fit with our timescales assuming a November order.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Incidentally, I saw the 19" Y alloys are a fairly dark shade of alloy - is this going to work with Phantom Black, or should I change the spec before the order goes in
I have the 19" Ys with Phantom Black, and am pleased with the effect. The wheels are slightly smoked silver - it does work. Have a look here to see what you think...........

Note that this isn't my car - this is from the Audi used car website. Still scheduled to pick mine up on Thursday.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
George,
Thanks for that - picture now on my desktop!
How am I going to cope with waiting until January?!

·
Registered
982 Posts
Guys, I'm interested in the variance around delivery times you're describing and can only hope that the possible over-estimation of delivery lead-time applies to me. I ordered my S5 a couple of weeks ago and have been quoted a late March/early April delivery time, i.e. ~6 months versus, for example, Scratch's 2-3 months.

I wonder how S5 delivery times compare to other A5 models? - and desperately hope that at least a couple of months is shaved off my waiting time..........

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
check my sig for my progress report.

Like others, I was told build was middle of november with late nov, early dec delivery. So, getting it before middle of Oct was pleasing.

Certain options will add time to the delivery. Customised paint and interior can add 6-8 weeks apparantly.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Thanks Doubledoom - I think mine would be a pretty 'standard' build (Meteor, Magma, Carbon Nav, MMI, B&O, Parking Plus, heated fronts, cruise) so maybe there is hope......

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Seems the waiting list for an S5 is longer than for an A5 - anyone else get this impression? Can't really see a reason why as I assume (maybe incorrectly) that they come out of the same factory. Perhaps it's something to do with supply of an S5-specific component - seats maybe? Seems there have been issues with seats on both S5 and A5 on orders thus far.
Anyone know any inside information about this?
Is my January delivery for an A5 still realistic if S5 orders are going to be nearer 6 months? My dealer is saying there's no change, but do I trust him? It could seriously affect the trade-in value of my S4 if I can't sell it privately!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Scratch,
Several of us have had the same concerns about delivery dates but it has come good for all of us. I managed to sell my car early to keep the price up.
Are you sure you've made the right choice with the A5 diesel as you are coming from an S4? I had similar dilemma coming from an R32 and decided the S5 was a better value package than the A5 3.0 TDi as its not that much more when you have specced up the A5 and it drives better. \if you are doing 20k + per year than I can see where you are coming from: A5 up to 40 mpg, S5 up to 25mpg - how many miles are you expecting to do?
The wait is well worth it whichever you decide.
Chris

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How I would love to stretch to an S5!
Unfortunately my employer gave me a nice fat (one-off) bonus nearly 5 years ago which paid for half my S4. This time round I'm having to finance the A5 myself and part of the justification (to my wife!) is that I do about 15k miles/year and will save around £150/month in fuel alone. The insurance is also less than half that of my S4.
I'm sure I'll miss the V8 and particularly the last 2000rpm, but the in-gear performance from the 3.0 TDi is not far short of my S4. Hopefully the new toys will off set my disappointment at not having a 4.2 V8 under the bonnet any more (though maybe not!)
I ended up ordering an A5 only after my dealer put me in one because he didn't have an A4 3.0 TDi available to test drive which is what I was looking at. I also drove an A4 2.0 TDi 170 which I was pretty impressed with, although the turbo lag at low rpm was pretty horrific and the torque steer in the fwd model I drove was awful. Anyway, I fell in love with the A5 after I drove it and now can't wait for mine to be delivered!
Thanks for the comments though - I guess Andrew's right that the S5 is more popular as it's new, but I still think that an extra 3 months delivery forecast compared to an A5 seems excessive. I would also expect that the balance between S5 and A5 orders will quickly swap round once the lesser-engined models start to come on line.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.