Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

I have just joined up after collecting my sprint blue S5 on Saturday! It's a 57reg with star silver leather.

It all happened really quick for me, i usually trawl through the internet and thumb through Top Marques for months before getting my wallet out, but once I had experienced THAT engine, i knew i had to have her!!

It wasn't the first car i test drove, i looked at a quartz grey model at Vindis Cambridge it was an 07 and had very low miles 3145 (suspect in my opinion!) and i didn't get on very well with the sales man, so i took a drive to Beckenham in Kent, and fell in love as soon as i pulled up to the dealership!!

She is very different to my previous daily driver of an Audi S3 which was ultimately very capable of putting a smile on your face, but with the S5 its a whole different league! Talk about head-butting the horizon! I haven't quite come to terms with the grip levels yet either, you can push-on much harder than the S3's level of grip with its haldex system, but i feel i am a far way from the edge of what is possible yet, but give me time.

I also have a 1984 Lotus esprit turbo in essex blue which i have had monumental bad luck with! I have had her for three years now and in that time i have covered only 3000 miles in which i have had the engine out 3 times! The last resulting in most of the engine being laid out on my garage floor still today! (no mentions about (L)oads (O)f (T)rouble, (U)sually (S)erious please!! I had been running too much boost and have blown holes in my pistons! It is a real possibilty that the esprit with be on the back burner for the forseeable as i can't see me spending my free time doing anything other than driving the
S5!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Welcome to the site and congrats on becoming an S5 owner! We don't have a whole lot of Sprint Blue owners on here. Feel free to post up some photos when you get a chance. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
First effort at attaching photo's wish me luck!

Picture 1) S5

Picture 2) Esprit in its usual position!:wall:

Attachments

·
Registered
479 Posts
Welcome!!

I love sprint blue! Looks great on any Audi (apart from the Q7 that I saw at a dealership a while ago!!)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks Booster, I like the quartz grey on the A5 as it shows those beautiful ines off but it hides all of the S5 details like the mirrors and grille.

I did give some serious consideration to the 3.0TDi as they are stupidly fast and with a little careful re-mapping i should n't at all be surprised if they couldn't match the S5 for mid range pace whilst still returning very respectable MPG! But as i have said before once i had experienced that engine, i was suduced. It might very well ruin me, but i am for the time being a very happy man!

Incidentally, i am a member of the lotus forum www.lotusespritforum.com there is a chap called hilly on there who has somehow managed to shoe-horn and 4.2fsi into a 1984 esprit like mine! God knows how, but its in and running, i haven't been in it myself but i hear it is monumentally fast!!! It could do with being 4wd though as it takes some consentration to get it off the lights without lighting up the tyres in just about any gear.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Welcome S5ways Si,

You should feel some comfort in the fact that your colour choice will keep you happy for some time! Great to see some originality in your colour choice!

I've heard that some passionate UK enthusiasts have made cars , a nice hobby for you when you're not enjoying your the reliability of your S5!

Welcome again!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome S5ways Si,

I've heard that some passionate UK enthusiasts have made cars , a nice hobby for you when you're not enjoying your the reliability of your S5!
Thanks Joe, I think my car choices can be summed up by one saying "Chalk and Cheese"

The Lotus
Small volume, fibre glass kit car assembled by monkeys in a Norfolk shed. Small engine, light weight, noisy, smelly, uncomfortable if like me you are over 6' and very unreliable. Still massively quick though, just don't turn up the boost on your turbo coz you WILL blow holes in your pistons!

The Audi
Large volume, carved from granite, assembled by robots, mahoosive engine, weighty, quiet, refined and comfortable. No tuning required.

But i love them both!

There are quite a few esprit owners in Oz which really does surprise me, they were expensive for what they were when they were new, but with the inporting costs, it would probable have been cheaper to finance a small war!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Welcome to the forum S5ways Si, :cheers:

Car looks great, love sprint blue, classic Audi S range colour.

It's great to see another Norfolk member on the site :) There're a few of us here already, we met up a few times last summer. I'm working abroad untill the June/July, so look forward to seeing you at a meet when I get back.

Be aware of Deano's S5 killing diesel that lurks around Norfolk.

Anyway, enjoy the car mate. :autofahrer:

·
Registered
821 Posts
Be aware of Deano's S5 killing diesel that lurks around Norfolk.

LOL you crack me up Rob..... you tring to start a riot on here :thumbsup:

Welcome Simon, I wonder if it's the S5 i Tried before i Plumpled for the A5 3.0 !!!

Your right the S5 does not need Modding, but when it has been, it WILL blow your socks off, If you stick around i'm sure everybody will be helping you spend a few bob on it ..

Great to see an Old lotus on here, an Esprit, my all time favorite, A friend of mine has a 57 Exige With the Sport enhancement (or what ever it is) BOY does it go fast, but it is Screaming about it !!!!

My Norwich Office is in Trowse so Hopefully see you soon... deano :thumbsup:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
THanks for the great welcome guys, i look forward to seeing you at one of your meets. Look out for me around town, i am the one driving like a vicar because i can't afford the petrol:music-smiley-019:

Luckily the S5 sounds just as great when its poodling around:thumbsup:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Congrat and Welcome to the club.:cheers:

It`s so funny.The driver at right side.well,It doesn't matter left or right.It still look cool!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Nice ride :)

Great colour choice!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just to let you know KNIGHTROS5 and AWPDISASTER, you have impeccable taste!

Can i admit this? yeah i am umongst friends, my wife is getting pi55y with me because i cant stop going out to the garage to look at my new car under the lights! It really shows off its line and the colour looks alive! I pop out there with a beer and take in the beauty and then pop back indoors and then about an hour later i pop out again and so on and so on!

Does that make me sad? (actually don't answer that!) but if you guys are honest i bet you do it too!

Simon

·
Registered
821 Posts
:yikes: Are you NUTS !!!!

Ok, Seriously, On this forum Simon, it makes you sound totally Normal :thumbsup:

We have all been there, and alot of us still are...... i have had mine nearly a year now and it ALWAYS brings a smile to my face when i see it, and catch it in different lights from different angles, when i drive it, when i park it - as i said, all the time still, the novelty does not wear off at all - did someone mention Beer :cheers:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Congrats & Welcome S5Ways, lovely looking motors in that colour (albeit I wasn't quite brave enough), pick mine up Saturday and am realy looking forward to it..

Now get some miles under your belt and keep grinning..!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just to let you know KNIGHTROS5 and AWPDISASTER, you have impeccable taste!

Can i admit this? yeah i am umongst friends, my wife is getting pi55y with me because i cant stop going out to the garage to look at my new car under the lights! It really shows off its line and the colour looks alive! I pop out there with a beer and take in the beauty and then pop back indoors and then about an hour later i pop out again and so on and so on!

Does that make me sad? (actually don't answer that!) but if you guys are honest i bet you do it too!

Simon
Well,Honestly I did it too:D until first week and then I enjoyed so much!!!!:autofahrer:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts