Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am shortly due to collect my new A5. Does anyone know how long it takes for a dealer to register a new vehicle? My dealer has told me that it will take a week!

·
Registered
8 Posts
You will receive the registration certificate directly from DVLA 2-6 weeks... if you need to take the car abroad you can request a temp certificate in one of the DVLA offices. In the UK you don't need it for that 6 weeks period.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I left the country the day I picked up my A5 - literally went to Dover from the Dealer! :p
No temp certificate or anything. Glad I didn't land myself into any trouble!

Are you sure they weren't including your PDI in that week of "registration"?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies so far. No, the PDI isn't included in the timeframe, just registration at the DVLA by the dealership.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The dealer I purchased my A5 from did it using an online system on the day I picked it up. It was down and delayed me by an hour which felt like a year.

The V5 documents followed in the post 4 days later.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The dealer I purchased my A5 from did it using an online system on the day I picked it up. It was down and delayed me by an hour which felt like a year.

The V5 documents followed in the post 4 days later.
That's very interesting, mills. So, using that system, a registration number (plate) for a brand new vehicle can be obtained - and the dealer posts the V5 to you when they receive it from the DVLA?

·
Registered
26 Posts
That's very interesting, mills. So, using that system, a registration number (plate) for a brand new vehicle can be obtained - and the dealer posts the V5 to you when they receive it from the DVLA?
As far as i was told, yes. Unless it was a complete fantasy dreamt up by the sales guy to cover up the fact the car wasn't ready for me but that would never happen.

BTW the V5 actually came from the DVLA direct rather than the dealer.

Best thing for you to do is to call the dealer up and have a chat with them if you are concerned.

·
Registered
940 Posts
My car arrived I think on a Thursday at dealer and I picked up on following Monday. Dealer said he wanted 2 days to PDI and prep. I was away on the weekend hence collected Monday. They registered the car the day it physically arrived with them

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
If they know the chassis number and the number plate they are going to allocate to it and details of the car then there is no reason they can’t start the ball rolling before it even lands in the UK?

I suppose the only risk to the dealer is if they registered the car in your name early and you cancelled the order at the eleventh hour. The car would then have to be re-registered to the dealer and would technically be second hand when sold on.

·
Registered
871 Posts
The car would need registering well before you collect it. How else would they be able to tax it and get the tax disc on the car if they did it on the day

·
Registered
191 Posts
My dealer was able to tax and register the car at the dealership, no more of this going to the post office rubbish.

There is no way it should take a week.

As others have said the V5 will follow direct from the DVLA in a few weeks.

Good luck, I know the wait is a killer :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My dealer was able to tax and register the car at the dealership, no more of this going to the post office rubbish.

There is no way it should take a week.

As others have said the V5 will follow direct from the DVLA in a few weeks.

Good luck, I know the wait is a killer :)
It is a killer - and, it would seem from your experience, that the dealer (or just the salesman) is stringing me along a bit!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was due to collect my new car on Friday but there seems to be an issue with Audi and DVLA. Now have no idea when can collect car. Car has been at dealer for weeks so has nothing to do with them. Any ideas. WLTP issue?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was due to collect my new car on Friday but there seems to be an issue with Audi and DVLA. Now have no idea when can collect car. Car has been at dealer for weeks so has nothing to do with them. Any ideas. WLTP issue?
The DVLA have been hit with strikes by the PCS Union for a while now which might have something to do with it & are apparently walking out tomorrow too :rolleyes::-

·
Registered
15 Posts
The DVLA have been hit with strikes by the PCS Union for a while now which might have something to do with it & are apparently walking out tomorrow too :rolleyes::-
Hi,

Thanks for that. Had no idea there was a problem as up in Scotland and buying the RS from England

Cheers

Stuart

1 - 16 of 16 Posts