Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I can't claim to be a long time lurker as I've only discovered this forum today. Had an E60 BMW 525d for the last few years, loved every minute but the inevitable sale was made..

In my move away from diesel, I'm considering going for something along the lines of an A5 sport-back 2.0 TFSI Quattro from 2010-2012ish. I've never owned an Audi so please excuse my noob-ness! Just wanted to check a few things with you knowledgeable folk;

• Firstly, good choice of engine? No known issues/complications with these?
  • Any known issues with the A5 generally?
  • What things in particular should I look for when I go for a viewing?
  • Are there huge spec differences within the A5 models, what are "must-have"s?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
297 Posts
First advice, do a search. Lots and lots of discussions about problems.

In general, engines made 2013+ are better. Prior to that, you're talking oil burning and timing chain tensioner issues. Catastrophic engine failure.

The Tiptronic transmission is good, ZF 8HP, same as in many BMW's. The S-Tronics is fast, but problematic prior to around 2012. The Multitronic has a bad reputation of catastrophic failure.

In my opinion, quattro is what makes Audi's great. I have the plain A5, so no sport differential and don't have the crown gear quattro like the S5 and up's do. They use clutches and require more maintenance, but better performance.

I'm not familiar with BMW's, but here in the states, both makes have bad reputations for electronics failing and engine plastics cracking as they age past 10 yrs/100K miles. So I'd look for something around 5 years old if you want to get about 5 good years out of the car.

Finally, I don't know when the MK2 A5 came out in Europe, but do NOT buy the 1st or 2nd year of any new generation. It take 3 - 5 years for the major problems to appear and addressed with parts design udpates.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@findalex Thanks so much for the reply, some really sound advice.

Between the date of my original post and now, I had decided that an older Audi probably isn't the best idea and your comments have basically confirmed it for me! I think I'll buy a cheap run around for a short while until I can put some money/deposit together for a newer Audi, at least I'll have the benefit of better tech.

Totally agree with your final sentence, I'll make sure I do my research!

·
Registered
22 Posts
All cars pre 2013 are impending catastrophic failure? Lol - I'm sure Audi would be in the news week in week out if all cars prior to 2013 were failing.

Most issues will be ironed out in any car by the first owner providing it hasn't been a lease car in my opinion, try buying a car with lowish mileage, FSH, no short cuts with repairs (documentation to prove) and low owners and you should be good, providing you know what to look for when inspecting too.

I bought a 1 owner 20k miles S5 as my daily 5 months ago, not one issue yet. The car is a 2010 4.2 and the tech/paintwork is better than my 2015 MC Stradale. Newer doesn't always mean better, especially in this era of turbocharging/downsizing engines.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I recommend you do a search for Audi class action settlement.

S-tronic/DSG, oil consumption, timing belt, water pump have all failed at such a high rate that Audi has had no choice but to admit fault.

Can you image how bad the problem must be for a billion dollar German company and its lawyers to lose the lawsuit?

I love my A5, but after 75K miles, plastic parts began to fail and the repairs are starting to cost more than the payments on a new car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts