Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Recently bought an A5 with quattro which I'm just getting familiar with - I've never owned a quattro before. I'm wanting to change the discs and pads all round over the weekend.

Is there any special tools or sockets that I need. I've noticed some 7 (I think) point bolt on the outside of the carriers, both top and bottom. Looks like a reverse torx and is quite large and assuming these need removing to get the carrier off to then get the disc off.

Ive done brakes a hundred times on my cars but again I'm not sure if quattro means the process is different. Normally you have 2 hex bolts behind the hub that just need to be removed to get the carrier off.

Any advice appreciated, as ill have to go buy any tools or sockets in advance.

Cheers

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not my car but same setup

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah got vcds

·
Registered
508 Posts
You don't need to touch those bolts at the front just 2 normal hex bolts at the rear. Use the vcds to wind the handbrake motor home and it's pretty straightforward.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah ok. Good so no different to any other car. What are those bolts for. Going by the pic they look as though they almost hold the caliper onto the carrier.

Thanks

·
Registered
508 Posts
They are just the pins where the pads sit. I'm not sure if they're threaded or pressed in from the factory but they don't need to come out.
Maybe the fancy head is just to make them look pretty.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah ok. Yeah it looks like it's just to make them look fancy

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would say it's to make it very difficult for a DIY'er to undo them accidentally or not, similar to security torx screws etc

I will be doing discs & pads all-round in the spring so thanks all for the info

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A reverse Torx socket would work fine on it, I think. Which is easy to get hold of.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Yep the reverse torx bolts on the front calipers are just the slide guide pins.

Front caliper pistons just push back, the rear, as said need to be wound back using the EPB motor on the back of the caliper. When I did mine on my A5, I didn't have VCDS, so used a speaker wire, connected to the battery in the boot and touched on the connector on the caliper motor. :) The rear caliper piston may also need a bit of help pushing back, my old A5 did anyway.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah sorted the backs. Just need to do the fronts. Thanks

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well sorted this over the weekend, no problems. BUt i have a question. I got ONE brake wear sensor with the front set of pads. I assumed there was only one being used as really the fronts should wear at the same rate. Anyway, i noticed there was no plug on either say to fit the sensor - The existing pads didnt have a wear sensor in it.

I expected a car like an AUdi to have these - hell my cheaper previous car had them.... .so why doesnt my current A5?

·
Registered
508 Posts
It should be on the front left hand side, clips into the top of the caliper and connects in just behind.
Maybe they don't all have them, I'm not sure on that. What model do you have?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmmm ill take another look, but i didnt see a disconnected harness for the sensor to plug into. Could only see the speed sensor for the ABS. Strange, id have thought it was a standard thing on all modern cars. I have a sport model

1 - 16 of 16 Posts