Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I appreciate there is a ton of threads on remaps but I haven't managed to quite find the answers. I understand if admin opt to delete my thread.

I am more interested in the switching options of a remap... I like the car 90% of the time but I'd like it to be a bit more spiteful in dynamic mode. Eg can the remap be applied to just the 'CUSTOM' mode?

In short will a remap change the car regardless of map selection in the on screen menu?

It's a 2014 S5 Sportback 3.0TFSI.

I have also read that the standard brakes can handle the extra power from a remap, however, I am not happy with my brakes. I get a shudder when the brakes are even remotely warm. (long story and an ongoing issue in the 4 1/2 years I've had it) - I will have a good read around brakes and if need be post a bigger question on them...

TIA,
Dan

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm unaware of any mappers enabling a map switch via the ADS modes (ie comfort or dynamic mode) if that's what you mean.

Revo offer a map switch via an OBD dongle, but it's not an 'on the fly' process. Serial Port Switch (SPS), 333ps

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks cadguy77, that was as I suspected. Seems a shame to lose the ADS without a faff to deselect the map.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm not mapped yet but plan too soon, but you won't lose ADS

I'm sure someone else with more experience will chime in with better info

·
Premium Member
2,441 Posts
Hi Dan! This is my 2 pennies worth. Given that you love the car as she is for 90% of the time, I would stick. In other words, surely its not worth risking the 90% just to find the 10 that you desire?? I have always found that the standard factory set up is a good compromise between performance and reliability and the 3.0 Audi engines seem to be fantastic work horses, good for many many miles. I would not throw the baby out with the bath water, so to speak, cos you could then have a snarling beast which drinks loads of fuel and you scratch the 10% sure but you have to carry that even when you just drive to work......Have fun and keep us informed what you do ok??

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I'm unaware of any tune which integrates with ADS. Some tuners like APR and REVO offer switchable maps, however I believe that they may only work on the B8 (maybe an ECU memory issue for the B8.5 - I'm not sure). However I'd suggest that the OP is worrying needlessly. The extra performance from a tune really does depend on that pedal on the right. In ADS individual (and it would apply to comfort and economy) I find that the way that the gearbox readily advances the gears in D, coupled with the basic grunt of the 3.0 V6 off boost, means that if I drive "normally" with a light right foot, the car acts the same as without a tune for 90% of the time. If I want the extra power I do need to push that pedal and get the gearbox to downshift in order to get the effects of the tune. If however I want more, I select ADS dynamic. Now with the improved throttle response and the different gearchange mapping, the engine is much more lively.

Brakes are subjective. I have stock brakes and they are fine for me apart from the squealing, however I never get myself into a situation that brake fade would be an issue. Shudder sounds like something is wrong, not necessarily a characteristic of the stock brakes.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I echo Dippy's reply above!

Get a remap and control the 90% of the car with your right foot!? A remap will not turn your car into a lumpy idle, noisey, fuel drinking beast. It will be the same drivability wise, just if you press the accelerator more you will have more power 'on demand'.

ADS just ever so slightly changes the dynamics of the throttle, steering (if you have this option), suspension, gearbox and rear diff < all options.

I also have stock brakes as you know, and find them good enough to tame the 460 or so horses, even when pressing on.

If you think of brakes being control of speed and not a, I under-estimated that bend, help button, then they will work for you in all circumstances. ;)
In go-karting, I don't use the brakes that much, unless someone spins in front of me, controlling the kart with the accelerator. Granted they don't go that fast, but you can apply similar thinking in the car. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts