Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings! Just wanted to introduce myself as I just put in an order for an S5 yesterday at HBL. I know there are others in my geographical area on this forum waiting for the same car & look forward to being part of the community. Let me briefly explain how I got here:

I'm a car guy; and as a car guy I'm always obsessed with whatever I'm driving. So a few weeks ago, I'm driving my 06 M45 to work on 28 & got rear ended (I hate 28.) Major problem for an obsessive car guy. Just a fender bender, but still; when you spend a lot of time washing/waxing/cleaning/finding the 'safe' parking spot/taking care of your 'baby' & your perfect car gets hit....a major blow. So this situation causes me to do some hard thinking about my car. I love that M45, but there are a few things that could be improved upon: It's black (what was I thinking), obsessive car guys without a lot of time can't drive black cars w/o worrying constantly about how clean the car is. It's rear wheel drive & everytime it gets nasty outside I have to get a ride. Rear wheel drive used to be a requirement of mine; but seems like driving myself to work year round would be really cool. It's a bit too long (~192"); I have a 2 car garage w/2 motorcycles + the wifes SUV & everything has to fit inside! I can get everything in there but its like Tetris with lots of ridiculous rigging to keep everything from getting hit (the 12 additional inches the S5 would give me would be perfect.) So new car it is. I make the requirements list: AWD/silver/4 seats/performance >=M45/184" long or less & I have to be able to pay for it; that doesn't leave a lot of cars. However, the S5 fits the bill & then some! Figures that the car I want has a ridiculous wait. But I waited 4 months for my E46 328i & I drove that car for 7 years. It's pretty clear that you have to wait for the good stuff.

Anyway, getting on the S5 waiting list is definitely helping me get through my car issues. Thanks to the postings in this forums I've gotten a ton of information + figured out what I needed to do. Maybe in 6-8 months I'll be in a new S5!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Congrats! Keep up communication with the dealer and you may be able to move up the list when others cancel. It's not a cheap car, so people are likely to cancel.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Welcome Ian,
As Nate mentions, there are a few folks in the No. Va area with their new cars, or others like me waiting it out.

So, keep tabs with your HBL sales person (my dealer too) and time will tell.
Something this good should be worth waiting for.

PS
Maybe once we all get our vehicles, a local get together in the spring (or summer) would be in order.. like some of the guys in the UK are planning.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I'm working with Joseph Jay whom, I believe, handles the A5/S5 orders. He was very upfront about the allocations & number of people waiting in the queue. When I went there the other day to get on the list, the demo car (now fixed) had been loaned out to another S5 owner while their car got some work done on it. Their car was on a lift with its wheels off (suspension upgrades?). I'll definitely be be heading back over there soon as the demo car is available again to check it out & will keep in touch with Joseph.

I had a much better experience working with him than I did with 'another' dealer in the area. The other dealer advised they could get me a car in June for sure. However, when pressed about allocation, the number of people waiting, build times etc., it all started to fall apart. It was pretty clear I was getting breeze. They had also just sold their only demo car within the last few days & wanted 5% down just to get on the list. (He also said I could put more than 5% down if I wanted to....not sure why I would want to do that.) Nice.

A get together would certainly be in order after everbody gets their cars!

Nate- I'm pretty sure you took delivery within the last couple of weeks of a silver S5? I ordered a loaded silver, MT, black interior as well. Good combo!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Indeed I did! I posted a bunch of pictures over in the Photos section that you can check out.

I was hesitant at first about the silver, but now I'm very happy I didn't end up with anything else. Color is personal preference, of course, but the silver fits this car beautifully.

·
Registered
182 Posts
welcome! I'm also patiently waiting in line at HBL.. hopefully we all see a lot of each other soon!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Watch out for that NoVa abbreviation. In Spanish it means "It doesn't go". Bad thought for a new car, and the reason the Chevy NOVA didn't do so well in the Spanish speaking countries.:eek:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting point. Of course here, NoVA refers to 'Northern Virginia' or the DC Metro area. That said, 'no go' is more or less accurate considering the ridiculous wait associated with getting into an S5 right now. Many of us will wait many many months to get one of these cars.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Nova is also a great show on PBS.. us NoVA residents know what it means, Spanish be damned!

yes, i'm thinking we'll plan our first get together to coincide with the release of the 2010 model line - hopefully we'll all be in S5s by then!

currently No Va is an apt description of most of our S5s, or maybe the production line..

but once we get our S5s i have a feeling we're going to Va the crap out of them..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts