Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. Anyway, So I finally went to my AUDI and BMW dealer today ( deciding between m3 and s5 ) . And I loved the S5 over the M3, I think it looks way better, a lot more towards luxury, and a lot cheaper in price. The only thing I'm afraid of the s5 is that its very slow compared to the m3. I asked about the rs5, and the dealer said they wont have it for at least 2 1/2 years, and the msrp would be aroudn 75,000 which is a bit out of my budget. Anyway im just wondering is there any good mods i can add to make my s5 go faster? or any tunning companies such as barbus for mercedes,dinan for bmw etc. ?? Thanks a lot

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. Anyway, So I finally went to my AUDI and BMW dealer today ( deciding between m3 and s5 ) . And I loved the S5 over the M3, I think it looks way better, a lot more towards luxury, and a lot cheaper in price. The only thing I'm afraid of the s5 is that its very slow compared to the m3. I asked about the rs5, and the dealer said they wont have it for at least 2 1/2 years, and the msrp would be aroudn 75,000 which is a bit out of my budget. Anyway im just wondering is there any good mods i can add to make my s5 go faster? or any tunning companies such as barbus for mercedes,dinan for bmw etc. ?? Thanks a lot
Welcome to the forum.

In regards to the tuning it just depends on how much you want to spend. Basic mods like exhaust and re-map are usually the first thing to do, will add about 25 - 30 bhp combined together.

B&B in germany do a few other things that can bump the BHP and Torque up a bit further to about 400bhp.

And if money is no object then there is the MTM supercharger which will bump the power to 500bhp+

·
Registered
204 Posts
Welcome Bigntastie
I think it all depends on what you have driven before and of course what your expectations are. I have driven all kinds of
fairly high horse power cars like 400-475 horse. Now I have not driven the new M3 (just not interesting to me at all).
With the other cars I compare the S5 with I think it is incredibly fast for just having a 354 horse 4.2L naturally aspirated engine. I think I will be really happy with mine when I get it in about 5 weeks. If it is going to be a daily driver I think it will be totally fast enough for you. If it is just a once in a while driver special occasion kind of a car then I think you need to look for something that is quite a bit more money like the R8 or a Porsche Turbo.

Tonny

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
The car is no slouch and what it may lose in some areas it will gain in others. However, there are mods available and many of us have done some (mine are in my sig). Its all down to how much you want to spend.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm willing to spend an extra 5-10Grand on tunning the car, I think I should be fine though since I've been driving an Slk350 which is much slower (268hp) . But what are some good mods I can add using that budget? Thanks a lott

p.s

It's a daily driver, but since I'm in college and a lot of my college friends have cars like STI's, EVO's and m3's , theres times i get tempted to race them, how does a s5 compare to STI's , EVO's and e46 m3's ) ??? or even 335i's ?

also , is there still a hi-demand for s5's? my dealer told me he sold a used red s5 with 4000 miles on it for 2000 on top of the msrp. seemed kind of weird. And if I order a s5 now he said I'd have to wait 4 months to recieve it, however he showed me an invoice of some guy who ordered it October 2007, which will arrive in a week as a 09 model, he said the guy might cancel his order and he'll try to sell me that one ( Black on magma red , tech, b&o packages,automatic transmission ). The dealer also keep telling me the guy seemed impatient and he will cancel his order.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I'm willing to spend an extra 5-10Grand on tunning the car, I think I should be fine though since I've been driving an Slk350 which is much slower (268hp) . But what are some good mods I can add using that budget? Thanks a lott

p.s

It's a daily driver, but since I'm in college and a lot of my college friends have cars like STI's, EVO's and m3's , theres times i get tempted to race them, how does a s5 compare to STI's , EVO's and e46 m3's ) ??? or even 335i's ?

also , is there still a hi-demand for s5's? my dealer told me he sold a used red s5 with 4000 miles on it for 2000 on top of the msrp. seemed kind of weird. And if I order a s5 now he said I'd have to wait 4 months to recieve it, however he showed me an invoice of some guy who ordered it October 2007, which will arrive in a week as a 09 model, he said the guy might cancel his order and he'll try to sell me that one ( Black on magma red , tech, b&o packages,automatic transmission ). The dealer also keep telling me the guy seemed impatient and he will cancel his order.
You should be able to keep up with them all if they are stock, but the EVO,STI and the 335i will have no problem pulling on an S5 if they've even had just a simple re-map and exhaust. In a straightline the 335i is ever so slightly faster than the S5.

Best way to extract more performance on you budget is to get an exhaust, re-map and get the lightest set of forged wheels you can find for the car. I've been told HRE do some as light as 6-7kg in 19s. This will probably make the biggest difference.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
You should be able to keep up with them all if they are stock, but the EVO,STI and the 335i will have no problem pulling on an S5 if they've even had just a simple re-map and exhaust. In a straightline the 335i is ever so slightly faster than the S5.

Best way to extract more performance on you budget is to get an exhaust, re-map and get the lightest set of forged wheels you can find for the car. I've been told HRE do some as light as 6-7kg in 19s. This will probably make the biggest difference.

SAJ, I'm not sure I agree with you there, two of my techs have modified Scoobs, one is a P1 and the other a WRX, naturally the question was asked as to whether the S5 was as quick given the weight disadvantages and arguable power difference. But in straight line 2 mile stretch neither could pull away from the S5, on rolling from 40 up a steep gradient the S5 dropped back a little but then quickly caught up and was looking to pull past the P1. At a higher speed which I wont mention on here the S5 destroyed the Scoobs..it was well documented on one of the Scoob forums..I'll try find it.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
SAJ, I'm not sure I agree with you there, two of my techs have modified Scoobs, one is a P1 and the other a WRX, naturally the question was asked as to whether the S5 was as quick given the weight disadvantages and arguable power difference. But in straight line 2 mile stretch neither could pull away from the S5, on rolling from 40 up a steep gradient the S5 dropped back a little but then quickly caught up and was looking to pull past the P1. At a higher speed which I wont mention on here the S5 destroyed the Scoobs..it was well documented on one of the Scoob forums..I'll try find it.
Happy to go with you on that one as my experience on Scoobs isn't all that much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The S5 is not M3 fast but you really have to push the M3 engine very hard to make use of the performance...and then how often and where do can you find the roads to use that extra performance.

In terms of engine flexibility the S5 pulls much better than an M3 from lower down the rev range...the s5 will pull like a train at 30mph in 6th...M3 feels sluggish in comparison in 6th.

Get some stylish ultra light weight wheels and you will have the best looking car around !

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
The S5 is not M3 fast but you really have to push the M3 engine very hard to make use of the performance...and then how often and where do can you find the roads to use that extra performance.

In terms of engine flexibility the S5 pulls much better than an M3 from lower down the rev range...the s5 will pull like a train at 30mph in 6th...M3 feels sluggish in comparison in 6th.

Get some stylish ultra light weight wheels and you will have the best looking car around !
Thats about right........;)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Let's face it, you're in college. The Audi will get you the girls. If the M3 beats you by half a length, the girls don't care. In college, it's how you look when you leave the starting line. There's nobody but you and her at the finish line!! You show up with the A5/S5 to pick her up and you are starting the night right.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts