Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

I'm new to this forum and am just getting rolling. I've owned 20+ vehicles over the last 10 years and just picked up a 2010 Audi S5 Coupe painted in a Daytona Grey with the Magma Red Interior and 3 lovely pedals to play with :)

I am going to be looking to modify the exhaust down the road as the car is disturbingly quiet. Not sure if i'll do anything more than that other than just enjoy the car as a daily driver.

I just fitted the car with a set of M-Klasse 18" wheels and Nokain Hakkapelitta 8 studded tires for winter driving as we get lots of ice and snow in Saskatoon. Rims fitted up with the proper offset and bore with no hubcentric rings or spacers needed...and the tires are amazing!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Nice Congrats on the purchase. Love the Magma Red Interior. Also love the Daytona Grey, It's one of my favourites :)

·
Registered
2,635 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information. First mod will be exhaust. Looking between the AWE Track with stock downpipes and the Forced Inductions non-res setup.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ended up pulling the trigger on the Fast Intentions Resonated setup. The wife was getting tired of me talking, looking, listening (to sound clips) and said to make a decision.

http://www.fastintentions.com/produc...roducts_id=127

After listening more to the GMG, the AWE both touring and track really did stand out as some of the best exhaust systems for our V8 cars. I would still very much like to hear one in person. The GMG (from sound clips) was missing just that little bit of "wailing" near the higher rpm band i think i was hoping to hear. It really was a bellowy system. Whereas the AWE touring exhaust sings, and the AWE Track seems to be AMG with a kick.

The FI system won out in the end as it has a beautiful combination of low tones with a richness that only the Akrapovic seemed to touch (for the money). The FI system is also a true catback setup (vs slip on unit) with larger downpipes which should also help with exhaust flow vs the stock dp's. Once i have the FI exhaust installed i'll take some vids of the system.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Welcome and nice to see photos of it in the raw. I like a bit of dirt/salt on a car... and them tires... makes me jealous that you're having more fun than me out there on that ice. Our 2 days of snow cleared weeks ago before I got chance to play.
Oh... and I'm also secretly admiring your garage - making notes for my next house ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Moomin thanks. My car is now spotless (-30 degrees outside and nothing melting, so got the car washed finally)!

We just built our house 2 years ago and i said i wanted a large driveway, triple garage, high ceilings, lift and a drivethrough garage at the rear. My wife forced me into keeping all my car/automotive memorabilia outside :( All my walls either have posters, models, car parts, etc as i have run out of room:

I park my car on the right side as no one is usually in the passenger seat and it gives my wife more room on the opposite side to get in and out without getting near my car. I built a tire storage shelf in front of my Audi for 8 wheels and i have car parts stored under the entrance to the house:

I have my father's old Camaro up on the lift as i have work to do to it once it's warmer outside/inside. Mine is on it's winter storage wheels. The red one is my 7 year build. 825hp/825lb ft at the crank with 14 # boost with an aftermarket low compression LS2 engine and a single Turbonetics 75mm turbo (6 spd manual of course):

When my son was young i had kept and continued to collect diecast cars and built him a pegboard to store everything on. You can't see it due to the photos taken, but it holds hundreds of cool cars i'm planning to pass down to him someday. All original and in their packages:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Welcome and I like the color...........I'm partial to darker grays and black. My S5 has black and red seats; not sure if the all red would grow on me or not; kind of bright for me.
My wife has a nephew that married a gal from Saskatoon and she went to the wedding there. She couldn't believe the temperature in July. She said it was kind of cool.
I like the tire rack idea. I've got mine currently covered and stacked on the floor. 8 tires take up a lot of floor space even if stacked 4 high.
So that snowblower must be a major necessity in the land of snow:thumbsup:
Nice to see that somene that likes big Horsepower also likes an Audi A5.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Hmm... now my admiration has turned to envy and quiet hatred ;-)
That's serious man cave stuff he he. Never even thought of a drive-through garage... like what you've done. I guess having that lift means you'll be doing the exhaust upgrade yourself. I keep thinking that I'd want a lift but just not sure I'd use it... but maybe I would do more on my car if I did have one. Put it this way... if I had a garage like that my Mrs would think she'd become a widow lol.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Great set up you have there fstr nu :thumbsup:
I'm officially jealous now.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Moomin...between additional car storage, oil changes and the ability to tinker on vehicles, my lift was just under $3k CDN installed and delivered to my garage. A rental garage space in Saskatoon will run between $200-$300...so i figured 10 months of renting someone else's garage will net me a lift...SOLD!

There are advantages to the 2 post lifts if you are doing suspension/transmission work vs the 4 post that i have...but if you have 11ft of ceiling room and the ability to put a lift in...i'd say it's a must for any car-guy (sorry for the gender specific terminology...if there are any female forum members).

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I've been looking at 2 post lifts but the lack of sufficient base support on some models scares the crap out of me. They look like any unbalance could rip them straight out of the concrete!
Anyway... decent garage space is first on the shopping list.
Cheers and happy motoring.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just got my UPS notice. Exhaust will arrive March 6th, which is sooner than anticipated. I'll be coordinating the install soon after and will post vids/pics once the weather warms up. It's cold enough outside right now to make our male parts completely turtle :(

It's been around -25 degrees Celsius without the windchill...with the windchill near -40 degrees Celsius.

Reactions: Audi Bairn

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After countless hours of listening to audio clips of exhaust clips/videos, i made the decision to order the Fast Intentions exhaust setup. I figured it would be easiest to order the "resonated" version...knowing that ultimately i would likely end up removing the resonators if the exhaust didn't have the 'right" sound to it.

I had the resonated Fast Intentions exhaust installed and it was a great addtion to the already superb B8 S5. Following a number of weekd with the resonated version, i had a local exhaust company work their magic and they removed the resonators. Holy crikey!! The sound richened up and became what i expected of this exhaust setup from the get-go.

Currently the exhaust has a moderate loudness at cold startup. With the resonators removed, there is no drone. There is some audible exhaust sound noted with the windows and sunroof closed during normal driving but not so intrusive as to distract from normal conversation or audio. Here are some vids i have just taken today of this non-resonated setup.

When there's time, i'll get some exterior driveby exhaust clips...for now, you get a cold startup and an interior driving perspective.

https://youtu.be/DsYGxUBR4Jk

https://youtu.be/7tMMfAA1is0

1 - 15 of 15 Posts