Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Damn them for not putting this in the 2009's.
Yeah.. That really peev's me.. They are adding stuff with the 3G MMI already and now this that reminds me that ever time I hold out for something, just as soon as I get it, the next must have comes along... HAHA

·
Registered
452 Posts
This is the main reason I'm holding out of the 2010. But the other thing is if they decide to integrate the LED taillights and especially the V6T, I might just get a 2009 instead.... ALL I want is the 3G, no changed tails and engine.

·
Registered
302 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
But they did? I have this in my 2009 A5...
Yes, but only in EU/UK, not in the US.

So we are lucky here to have the only S5's with V8 and the new 3G MMI. And in one year, it will be the V6T :mad: I am sure Audi will notice a significant drop in sales because of this decision, but ok, let's wait for the RS5.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I wondered why they were running a news article based on information available about 5 months ago.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered previously, but my search for "3G" and "MMI" is rejected due to words too short...

Does anyone know if the current MMI system can be upgraded to the 3G system? I wouldn't mind paying for it if so.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered previously, but my search for "3G" and "MMI" is rejected due to words too short...

Does anyone know if the current MMI system can be upgraded to the 3G system? I wouldn't mind paying for it if so.
I don't think it will be easily upgradeable - the new system has a new screen, an entirely new hardware setup with much more of the electronics integrated in the head unit (versus so much being in the trunk), new controller hardware, and probably some wiring changes.

So while it may be possible to buy the new components and install them, it is probably going to be a very expensive proposition as you're probably going to have to replace almost all of the components of the MMI/nav system.

·
Registered
40 Posts
V8 + no 3G MMI = fail

Seriously though, it really doesn't bother me that much.....:mad::D:mad:

·
Registered
914 Posts
V8 + no 3G MMI = fail

Seriously though, it really doesn't bother me that much.....:mad::D:mad:
3G MMI + no V8 = fail

So the European MY 2009 V8+3G MMI cars will be real collector items :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
3G MMI + no V8 = fail

So the European MY 2009 V8+3G MMI cars will be real collector items :D
Guys (and girls).. in two weeks I will get such a collector’s item. a brand new S5 with V8 and 3GMMI... pic's will be uploaded @ fist day. I talked to the dealer many times: You are sure I'll get the V8, LED tail and 3GMMI??? 3x a yes, YES! get off my back! (ok, I can be persistent)
You are all (yes all) welcome for a peak. Of course there will be enough coffee... and wooden shoes ;-)

·
Registered
914 Posts
Guys (and girls).. in two weeks I will get such a collector’s item. a brand new S5 with V8 and 3GMMI... pic's will be uploaded @ fist day. I talked to the dealer many times: You are sure I'll get the V8, LED tail and 3GMMI??? 3x a yes, YES! get off my back! (ok, I can be persistent)
You are all (yes all) welcome for a peak. Of course there will be enough coffee... and wooden shoes ;-)
Ok, we will all be there in two weeks to see this collectors item! :D

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I wonder about the price / possibility of this upgrade as well. I like the idea of most of the hardware being located closer to the dash vs. the trunk. For those looking to retrofit the LED taillights, we'd need a new control unit anyway.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I wonder about the price / possibility of this upgrade as well. I like the idea of most of the hardware being located closer to the dash vs. the trunk. For those looking to retrofit the LED taillights, we'd need a new control unit anyway.
My guess is at least $2K for parts (given you will have to source these OEM). If it's a relatively simple install, requiring only a swap of the existing components the labor might not be too bad. However, since many of the components are relocated I'm not sure if there are any changes to how the MOST fiber-optic bus is laid out in the car and if this would require any rewiring (which is quite time-consuming). Also keep in mind the amp is still likely to be in the trunk even if the nav unit is now integrated in the dash. And you will also have to replace the AMI with a new hardware version.

In any case, seeing as how the dash and center console will need to be removed at a minimum, I would guess there would be several hours of labor (if you're installing it yourself).

So my guess is that all in you're probably looking at upwards of $3K for the replacement.

·
Registered
914 Posts
And who will have the one and only S5 cabrio with V8 and 3G MMI?!?! :D:D:D

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My guess is at least $2K for parts (given you will have to source these OEM). If it's a relatively simple install, requiring only a swap of the existing components the labor might not be too bad. However, since many of the components are relocated I'm not sure if there are any changes to how the MOST fiber-optic bus is laid out in the car and if this would require any rewiring (which is quite time-consuming). Also keep in mind the amp is still likely to be in the trunk even if the nav unit is now integrated in the dash. And you will also have to replace the AMI with a new hardware version.

In any case, seeing as how the dash and center console will need to be removed at a minimum, I would guess there would be several hours of labor (if you're installing it yourself).

So my guess is that all in you're probably looking at upwards of $3K for the replacement.
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I don't have Nav or AMI now so I'm seriously open to the idea of the retrofit. Spoke to my dealer yesterday. I'm going to take a look at the Q5's when they arrive in March.

·
Registered
76 Posts
So will there be a small window of time (September 2009 - August 2010) where the US-spec S5 will have a V8 and 3G MMI? I thought I read somewhere the V6T cabrio will be out in 2010 but the V6T S5 coupe won't be out till 2011...

·
Registered
452 Posts
So will there be a small window of time (September 2009 - August 2010) where the US-spec S5 will have a V8 and 3G MMI? I thought I read somewhere the V6T cabrio will be out in 2010 but the V6T S5 coupe won't be out till 2011...
This is exactly what I need answered as well. Also wondering if this small build window will retain the taillights they have right now... (not a fan of the LED's).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts