Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I'm new to this forum (but old to other forums). I thought I'd join given I've just traded in my 2005 S4 Avant for a Meteor Grey A5 3.0 TDI Quattro Sport with lots of toys.

Initial report: The A5 is not quite as relaxed to drive as my old S4 Avant and gear changes are required a little more (especially at revs below 1500rpm). The reason for this is the S4 V8 was exceptionally torquey (25mph in 6th) throughout the entire rev range as you would expect, whereas the turbo doesn't start spinning until you get to 1500rpm in the A5. When the turbo kicks in the A5 feels to have even more pull than the S4 - particularly in 3rd and 4th. The engine doesn't sound remotely diesely when you get going and sound more like a V6 petrol.

In terms of performance there really doesn't feel to be much difference between the S4 and the A5 - S4 was 0-60mph in mid 5 seconds, A5 does it in just under 6 seconds. S4 did 0-100mph in about 13 secs, the A5 does it in about 16.5 secs. The only really noticeable difference is the relative lack of revs (max 5500rpm given its diesel) compared to the S4. The handling and ride comfort is better in the A5 Sport.

The interior is one of the best I've ever sat in (IMHO) and I've had Range Rovers, Porsches, BMWs and Mercs in the past. The B&O stereo is superb and the fact I don't even need to get my keys out my pocket is great!

Have had the car for about 3 weeks and managed to get 550 miles out the first tank (almost twice as much as the S4 - in which I only ever managed 280 miles at best on the motorway). Average fuel consumption is 37.5mpg and up to 44.5mpg on the mortorway.

For my needs, high mileage motorway miles with a few country A/B road blasts every so often the A5 suits me great. IMO it looks fantastic and drives better than the S4 with a wider and longer chassis and better damping.

Lovin' it!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the forum. I went the opposite way from 1.9TDI to S5.

Consumption for the S5 is suprisingly good "for what it is" I managed to get on trip from Kent to Manchester and Liverpool, 320miles out of the tank this weekend with average speed of 80mph on cruise control with the occasional quick blast to not so legal speeds.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Welcome to the Forum

Very nice car looks good in that colour I have to wait until the 1st March for mine moving from TT (180BHP) to the A5 1.8TFSTi Sport in Quartz Grey.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the forum. I went the opposite way from 1.9TDI to S5.

Consumption for the S5 is suprisingly good "for what it is" I managed to get on trip from Kent to Manchester and Liverpool, 320miles out of the tank this weekend with average speed of 80mph on cruise control with the occasional quick blast to not so legal speeds.
Yeah, that's my experience too, it works out at 26 mpg.
What's your average so far on trip 2, then?

·
Registered
276 Posts
The only really noticeable difference is the relative lack of revs (max 5500rpm given its diesel) compared to the S4. The handling and ride comfort is better in the A5 Sport.

The interior is one of the best I've ever sat in (IMHO) and I've had Range Rovers, Porsches, BMWs and Mercs in the past. The B&O stereo is superb and the fact I don't even need to get my keys out my pocket is great!

When I drove the 3.0TDi I didnt find the turbo came in until over 2500 and it ran out of revs rapidly above 4500 so surprised it ever makes 5500 at all without a remap. Once you adopt a different driving style to keep the turbo spinning its very rapid and good mpg to boot.

Totally agree with your next para. about the interior except I find the standard audio great enough for radio reception (not into Ipods, enough gadgets to play with) and can always listen to the V8.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Hi Quattrophenia... cool name BTW - very clever!

Great write-up about your experiences too... Incidentally I got 24.8mpg out of my new S5 on the 200 mile journey back from the dealership! However, now my right foot is a bit heavier and I'm doing shorter journeys, I'm around the 19mpg mark!

·
Registered
276 Posts

Great write-up about your experiences too... Incidentally I got 24.8mpg out of my new S5 on the 200 mile journey back from the dealership! However, now my right foot is a bit heavier and I'm doing shorter journeys, I'm around the 19mpg mark!
What's your Trip 2 read?
I find that is accurate over 1500 mls to date, mine is showing 25.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks for the welcome all...

I know what you're saying about 19mpg average in the S5 - was what I was getting in the S4 when I had it - sounds great though :D

·
Registered
292 Posts
My trip 2 is reading 36.2 mpg after 6K miles. So assuming 19 mpg for the S5, I've saved over £700 so far, i.e. >£10/day. Go on - tell me the V8 sound is worth it - and I'm sure you will :D

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
... and 19 mpg is because I really only do short trips... longer trips I get 23mpg.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts