Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great site, chaps, especially for a prospective buyer with scant knowledge of things automotive.

Believe it's traditional for a newbie to describe car and discuss the seemingly vexed question of waiting times. Put my order in last week after deliberating for what must have been minutes as to whether to purchase, and then days over precisely what to purchase. Car should arrive this side of Christmas but have a feeling I'll be using the aircon the first time I drive it.

Plumped for the 3 litre diesel quattro. Doubtless it has more performance than I have driving ability but then I'm sure that little extra spent will offer at least moral support to the ailing German economy.

Went for the Sport model. There seem to be two camps here comprising those pro-, and not so pro-, the S-line. No doubt the body and low crouch are great but that interior's very limited in choice: if you don't like black upholstery with black everything else then you're stuffed.

There's various other bits and bobs ordered for it with whose detail I'll not bore you (wheels, floor mats, something to stop one rolling down hills). Suffice to say that I'm sure it will look jolly nice. And it's black by the way.

Hope to be posting more although were I you, I'd not use my opinions for anything but entertainment.

P.S. have you guys to thank for convincing me not to fit a body kit (however subtle). Some of the examples I've seen here are, frankly, unforgivable. I know I'll be severly flamed by those who disagree. But honestly, you wouldn't give the Mona Lisa collagen implants or hang a chandelier in the Sistine chapel, would you?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Welcome to the waiting club. Nice to see a new member with a good sense of humour! (And this doesn't mean that others don't have, before I get slaughtered for that!)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, Ageing biker that's very kind.

Have reviewed your thread "Any News on New Wheel Options or LEDs?" which to a neutral observer does end up rather Kafkaesque. I'm sure a lot of the members are very knowledgeable and the site's a great resource for people such myself but there is a degree of "thread drift" sometimes...

Noted that you've gone for Privacy Glass. Just how dark is it?
In some respects that is a ridiculous question and invites answers such as "oh, you know, quite dark". I seem to remember that it's usually expressed a percentage with 0% being Stevie Wonder territory but, of course, I may be wrong. Thinks there's some legal paraphenalia to be observed too: some minimum figure so that police can see one looking smug or smoking a joint or something. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Hey FatBoySkim... are you by chance related to FatBoySlim? ;) :D

Welcome to the forum! Glad to hear you've found it to be helpful to you. Congrats on the A5 order.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Welcome

Welcome FBS... Glad to see a newbie with similar tastes.:cheers:

Question for AB, does Privacy Glass disguise your age to 'outsiders'??? (my good? sense of humour?)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Welccome FatBoy and...

you wouldn't give the Mona Lisa collagen implants or hang a chandelier in the Sistine chapel, would you?
Nice :thumbsup:.........I feel, too much, and you can spoil the beautiful rhythm of lines in the beauty that is the A5

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
How rude some people can be. I thought we were trying to be nice.:wall:

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Why do you always assume people are talking about you RG? I'd managed to forget about you.

Anway, don't go and get yourself another yellow card now. Let's show some respect to FatBoySkim (was watching the 'Weapon of Choice' vid on Youtube again last night - Christopher Walken is a legend) and show him what a nice place this forum used to be!

Anyway FBS, great to have you on here - I went through the agony of anticipation for just over 3 months and it seemed like a year. But it's worth every long, drawn-out second!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome, guys.

In answer to your queries:

1. Although I'm not related to Fat Boy Slim my mother once used, as a marriage guidance counsellor Don Cullimore, father of Norman Cook's fellow Housemartin Stan. Tenous link to fame, I know. That she visited him without my father rather suggests he wasn't exactly shit hot in the Relate department.
I don't quite know what you're going to do with that information and have a sneaking suspicion that mother just made it up for a laugh (made it up that the counsellor was that Mr Cullimore rather than the whole divorce thing). Stan Cullimore's from Cambridge and I'm not, so draw your own conclusions.

2. Privacy glass a disguise for age? Well, I'm aiming for the haggard look prior to fortieth birthday. My 2nd favourite hobby - smoking - seems to be the fastest route to the distinguished air of wrinkled seen-it-all-before knowingness. That and the fact that my night-time beauty regime is somewhat haphazard...

Seem to have accidentally lit/tripped over some incendiary thread between Ess5ive and Scouse so mild apologies for that. (By the way, Mr Scouse, that accessory attached to your car looks rather elegant if you don't mind me saying).

I'm toying with the idea of introducing a thread requesting guidance on the best way to transport my dog in the new car but fear absolute ridicule. The best I've come up with so far is dog-in-boot-seat-down-and-some-chicken-wire. I'm not joking, either.

I think I'll have to end this thread now for fear of invoking mod-wrath in that I've introduced myself but now started to drift.

Anyway cheers, folks. A great site.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Welcome to the Forum FatBoySkim :thumbsup:

Great choice of Car/Model, look forward to hearing your full spec one day when you are Bored :)

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Welcome FBS... Glad to see a newbie with similar tastes.:cheers:

Question for AB, does Privacy Glass disguise your age to 'outsiders'??? (my good? sense of humour?)
You're a very funny man!! Good job I am not easily offended, although I might be forced to change my name.
As I understand it, the only windows that are dark tinted are the rears and the rear screen. The law dictates that front side windows cannot be more than 25% tinted, for exactly the reasons suggested above.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Oh Scouse, I really wish you hadn't said that - red rag to a..........
Ess..talking of red rags...you managed to make your car not like a S5 yet?? ;) (PS Lovin your ride!!)
Note to self: Bring spike strip to Pod for Ess :yikes:

(By the way, Mr Scouse, that accessory attached to your car looks rather elegant if you don't mind me saying).
Available from all good Halfords!! (I'll tell my girl, she'll be pleased!)

I'm toying with the idea of introducing a thread requesting guidance on the best way to transport my dog.
That's easy use a dog lead like everyone else!! D'oh!! I believe there's a towing eye at the back somewhere!! :yikes:

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Welcome and enjoy the sites :thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.