Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I actually found out about this site through 7doc (thanks again) and I am very happy that I did. This site seems to be extremely informative about the A5/S5, especially compared to other Audi sites.

So i have an S5 on order and expecting it sometime in late May. I ordered Meteor Gray with red interior and pretty much fully loaded. Like most other members here, Im so excited about this car;haven't felt this way about a car since I bought my last one :)

So im coming from an Infiniti G35 coupe and I have never owned a AWD car before. I was wondering if anyone has any input into the transition from going RWD to AWD and what I should look out for in this car? Also, in sure its mentioned in this forum somewhere, but I havent had too much time to search for, I was wondernig what kind of MPG you guys were pulling down with your S5s?

I really appreciate all the feedback and I hope to learn alot from here.

Here are some pics of the S5 I ordered (sorry for the crude pics, its with my iphone) and my current G for fun:

The G35:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Welcome aboard G35, great choice of car. Nice looking G35, I do like that, shame its not available over here :(

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, thanks guys. It really is a shame that they don't sell it over there. I know a few people in the UK that have actually imported it, but im sure it costs a ton

·
Registered
383 Posts
Welcome DarkS5

Nice to see that there will be another addition to the S5's in San Diego, I reckon there is about 6-8, from what I can gather from dealer deliveries so far, but I havent seen another one yet.

I look out for you on the Roads - I live/work in the Sorrento Valley area.

Mine is Misano Red Pearl and while its a lovely colour it attracts lots of attention, sometimes unwanted like a cop the other day that kept looking and smiling. I swear if I had crept over the limit he would have pulled me over.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice to see that there will be another addition to the S5's in San Diego, I reckon there is about 6-8, from what I can gather from dealer deliveries so far, but I havent seen another one yet.

I look out for you on the Roads - I live/work in the Sorrento Valley area.

Mine is Misano Red Pearl and while its a lovely colour it attracts lots of attention, sometimes unwanted like a cop the other day that kept looking and smiling. I swear if I had crept over the limit he would have pulled me over.
Haha, so it is u that I see on my daily commutes. I live off of miramesa and about a couple of weeks ago, I see this beautiful Red S5. I just admire it for my entire drive to La Jolla. A terrific car you have there; just love those day time running LEDs

So how do u like S5, any pros and cons would be great to hear?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Ah ... my favourite Audi colour. Wanted it on my last Audi but the wife vetoed me because it attracts the wrong sort of attention. I ended up with Ebony Black which has meant a lot more car washing than usual. Gone for Quartz Grey this time around as it looks like it should hide the dirt pretty well.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Some initial thoughts on pros/cons

Haha, so it is u that I see on my daily commutes. I live off of miramesa and about a couple of weeks ago, I see this beautiful Red S5. I just admire it for my entire drive to La Jolla. A terrific car you have there; just love those day time running LEDs

So how do u like S5, any pros and cons would be great to hear?
Hi Dark S5,

Drop me a PM and we can meet if you want to look closer:)

As for the pros/cons (bearing in mind my other car was a 2000S4 Biturbo)

Pros;

-Rattle free, quiet and very stable on the road - done 1800 miles in it so far and its very comfortable.

- Power/torque -lots of it, you can't really use the performance of this car - its low geared and with the engine that just wants to rev, you find you get up to high speeds without noticing it.

Steering - very precise and lighwieght - just about right for me, other have different points of view.

Cons

- Air conditioing does not seem to be working correctly - I am hoping its not a design flaw. The outside temp sensor is reading too high and the air from the vent is freezing cold when the auto temp is set at 70F. Time to do a test with an external sensor to verify if its a fault.

- Navigation - the navigation instructions should be exception based, so if it says travel 20 miles north onthe freeway, it should NOT keep reminding you at each junction to stay left. Its like a nagging back seat driver. I have a Garmin Nuvi which is gives much less annoying directions.

-Clutch - 1st gear take up and the "throtle up" that the ECU commands automatically when you are rolling slowly - I think Audi have tried to be too clever. It does take a while to get used to the clutch, but its not the easiest. Check out the threads on this topic. I have VAG-COM and the workshop manual so if its programmable then I may do some teaking, however its probably in the ECU code and not reachable from VAG-COM

I was worried about visibility from inside (as opposed to people seeing it from the outside:), but it turns out that it is remarkable good.

Well that's about it in a nutshell....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for input SDS5. I will try to PM you once I find some time, because I would love to great another look at it. Im actually up in LA right now with my family for a week.

If thats all I really have to worry about for the S5, i think I will be very happy with it. Im actually get a tiptronic, so I wont have to deal with the clutch issue. And thats great to hear about the noise. The G35 is a great car, but the there are alot of little things that start to annoy me, especially creeks and rattles from the car, not to mention the low grade interior. Can't wait to step into this luxurious GT.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Congrats on your order DarkS5! Glad to see more San Diego S5/A5's as well. I'm one of the 6-8 that SDS5 mentioned. I have an A5 Sline loaded. Drop me a PM if you are interested in seeing it as well. Ran into an owner of a Black S5 last week on the 163 southbound. It was awesome to see it on the road.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Tony, I will try to drop you a line sometime, maybe all three of us could get together sometime. I actually wished I could get the S-line grill on the S5, like the black finish alot...ah well, wishful thinking. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah drop us a line for sure! The black grill is really nice. I really like the rims on the S-line as well versus the S5. But that extra horsepower in the S5 must be nice. :-D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.