1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
176 Posts
I asked Ed at APS to fit one when I had the Milltek fitted done, but K&N hadn't released it yet for the A5 3.0. I'm surprised it's out in the US, Audi don't sell the 3.0 tdi in that market (yet?).

If this is the right filter, I'll definitely get one. It's likely to add up to 5% bhp.

I'll double check with K&N that it's the one we need.

·
Registered
80 Posts
that part number E1987 is for the 3.2 petrol..... i think

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I did the search thing and put in A5 quattro (which is what i have) and only got the option of a 3.2.... and this gave the same part number.....surely the diesel and petrol filters are not the same....are they ????!?!??

·
Registered
186 Posts
To have an airfilter like K/N with a Milltek... would mean a lot more air can flow through the engine. Doesn't that require you to remap? Otherwise the engine will run quite lean... which could be hazardous...

Btw, that filter can't be very special.... find out the diameter and find your neareast dealer with airfilters and I'm sure they can match it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes u right it probably will required a re-map, Hence the re- map still not ready from APS. I will have chat with Ed at APS about it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Ed at APS didn't mention requiring a remap when I asked for the Milltek plus K&N. He would have fitted it had it been available. Perhaps the increased airflow can be handled by the OEM engine mapping? To cope with changes in altitude and external air temp might mean the standard mapping has wide enough intake range?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have been fully serviced with exhaust and spacers on APS, I personaly dont believe for K&N filters etc to improve perfomance ,,,, I am not trying to be fancy with aps or something but - I trust them and they only they will fit any k&N products iff needed, I have been in some workshops ( very profesional ) in Poland recently; I have seen R8 there on racks, the say to me straight; can use filters, even power boxes so there are popular to use aroud- but thats killing your engine if fitted wiseless.. a person who I know working ages with diesel engines and says so.. Not in this one this time- wait until chip will be reprogramed properly- otherwise ... year or two later will be a supprise day. All you guys will go own way but I would be patiend waiting for APS or others- whatever proper solution, no covboys way....

sorry for my english
marcin

·
Registered
371 Posts
I upgraded my filter in my 4.2 A6. the fuel was a little better, and it wasn't bad on the performace. I always look at it that by saying it's not going to hurt performance so why not?

I went from 17.3 mpg on the 4.2 A6 to around 18.5 just by changing the filter

·
Registered
112 Posts
Having had a few cars with exhaust and air filter mods in the past, I am of the opinion that where the air inlet, fuel inlet and compression are acutely managed by the ECU, especially prevalent on diesel turbos, you will notice little power or torque difference without a remap to take advantage of the extra air flow. There is a good logic to say that if an open cone filter is used without any protection from the engine bay that the filter can pick up unwanted hot air, meaning less air, ie. oxygen makes it's way into the combustion mix.

On my previous car, a highly modified diesel Golf, I had a fully enclosed BMC CDA induction kit - it pulls cold air into the sealed unit via a duct mounted on the front grille. It in itself didn't add any power, but it meant that when the car's map was next fine tuned, we squeezed another 6-7BHP from the engine. These are the same units as used by the majority of cars in the VW Racing Cup.

The same can be said for the exhaust system... There is no physical way that as a standalone product it can add any power - this is managed by the ECU, and predominantly steered by the amount of diesel, and air in the combustion mix. However a turbo could be mapped with slightly higher boost, a la MTM kit, as a result of the extra air flow, lower back pressure, etc... One definite advantage of the exhaust is quicker turbo spool, meaning the power comes in quicker, sometimes giving the impression of more power overall, when in reality it is just power delivery.

Apologies for the early morning lecture! ;o)

T

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Typical, nothing for the 1.8TFSI. Does anyone think the 3.2 Litre one would fit lol? I know its a long shot.

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you take your airbox off and measure the inlet diameter, it should be a case of finding one with the same dimensions. The K&N unit 'for the A5', is just one of their standard units that measures up correctly. It may be worth checking to see if there are any sensors / pipes affected by removing the airbox.

T

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Hi Rob,
Thank you for your interest in K&N filter products.
The only A5 listings we have are for the 2.7D V6, 3.0D V6, 3.2i V6 & 4.2i V8 part number E-1978.
Unfortunately we have no filter products listed for your model of vehicle, however if you supply me with the original filter part number I may be able to cross reference the number with an existing K&N filter.

Kind regards,
Scott Mallin M.I.M.I.
Research & Development Engineer
K&N Filters Europe Ltd
Can somone post the filter part no for the 1.8? Im out the country at the moment for quite some time. Cheers

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
The air cleaner element part number for the 1.8 is 8K0 133 843 E.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
To have an airfilter like K/N with a Milltek... would mean a lot more air can flow through the engine. Doesn't that require you to remap? Otherwise the engine will run quite lean... which could be hazardous...
I don´t think remap is needed, ECU regulate the process rich/lean.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Sorry part number is E-1987, the O/E number we list is 8K0 133 843 without the E, so possibly a good match.
The dimensions are:
154mm Filter Height
16mm Flange Height
92mm ID Flange

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=E-1987

Kind regards,
Scott Mallin M.I.M.I.
Research & Development Engineer
K&N Filters Europe Ltd
I guess that means it could fit the 1.8/2.0? His email is worded slightly strange.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
The K&N part number E-1987 will not fit the 1.8 (at least according to ETKA it won't). The air cleaner element on the 1.8 is rectangular and not round as per the K&N part. I'm not sure your contact knows what he is talking about :)

If you want a 1.8 part diagram, let me know.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Damn, the part diagram would be cool. why are all the tuners forgetting the 1.8, so annoying, even milltek still havnt released anything!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts