Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a few days ago I was providing information on what to do and now I am looking for the help of the group. Yesterday morning, I received the phone call, "Jon, it's Jon, guess what I am looking at? Your car is in." I was told that the car should be ready later in the day. I showed up at 4 and there she was, unwrapped, waiting to be prepped and cleaned. I finally drove out of the showroom last night at 8. This morning I was giving my brother the tour of the car and put some Buffet on the radio and was showing him the power of my B&O radio. Ten minutes later, there is no sound. I switched to FM thinking maybe the Sirius cut out or that the activation was cut off since I never did anything to activate it. But still no sound. I call the dealer and my iPhone was connected but no sound was audible from the speakers. i make it to the dealer and they pull the care into service, hook it up to the computer and "you have a dead radio amp. The sub is also showing a dead short but I am not sure if it is reading that because of the module or it is a separate issue. We should be able to have the parts in by Wednesday. We will call you when it is." Needless to say, I told them to cancel the deal, fix the radio and then call me. They were not very happy and neither am I. Did I do the right thing?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Looks like the sub toke the amp out. That means two parts.
But the amp could have saved it self by cutting out and may not be bad.
I think the B&O amp is a class D digital and should be self protecting.

But it looks like a warranty repair to replace the part. Better it fail now,
than later. Did they offer a loaner?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Did you by chance have the dealership tint your windows prior to picking up your car? I was just wondering if perhaps they got too much water on the rear window, resulting in it draining onto your amp located in the rear quarter panel on the driver's side. In case you hadn't heard, it's a common problem that happened early on with A5/S5 who weren't aware of this issue. (Details here.) Another possibility is that perhaps they were simply cleaning the inside of your rear window during prep and sprayed too much liquid cleaner, resulting in the excess draining onto your amp. Just a thought.

Regardless, that's quite unfortunate for you. Did you do the right thing you ask? Well, if it were me, I wouldn't have canceled the deal. I wouldn't want to risk losing the car to someone else. But, that's just me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was all set to have the windows tinted on Monday. Dealer just prepped the car. The prep guys must have done a really good job of cleaning the back window. From reading the other links (thanks), looks like Audi did a great job of planning the placement of the controls. After replacing enough of these units, Audi should send a Bulletin to the dealers telling them and owners to make sure if you wash the rear window not to spray any cleaner on the window. It is frustrating. The dealer even thinks they will be able to have the unit by Wednesday. It will be interesting to see how long it takes when some of the other guys reported it was a few week wait.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Sorry to hear it.

About the B&O: mine amplifier is replaced too (they are on back order because of the big demand, can you imagine! :eek:) and many more cars have probles with the B&O.

good luck!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Man....I feel for you AtlanticCityA5....you must be stressing-out big time. Even with all the horror stories around my delivery, I'm very happy now. Although, the driver's side window has to be re-tinted due to a line down it, but that is minor and they are re-doing it this week.

My own opinion is (just a personal opinion) - give the dealer a chance to replace the 2 parts. Wednesday isn't that far away (not as long as you waited for delivery of the vehicle, I'm sure), and then give them that one chance to "make it right". You are 100% covered on the parts and labor, and I'm sure they will swap it out correctly (and you can obviously fully test it and play with it before you sign-off on the service Wednesday night or Thursday). Plus, it is much better then the alternative....waiting for delivery of a replacement vehicle. Also, I'm fairly confident that a replacement Amp and Sub (with brand new parts within 48 hours of delivery) should have no ill-effect on the long-term value of your car whatsoever.

Good luck - and keep us updated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts