Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

New Google MMI installed in 3G car 100% working

570K views 972 replies 186 participants last post by  Camajanrs4 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys, thought I would share with what I have posted on AZ right now.

A brief history. I ordered a new MMI, controls and radio to attempt a retro fit. Now before the parts even shipped I got word that I may be ok with the current radio and AMP even though they are different part numbers.

Now I've had a spare MMI unit on my shelf for about 6 months now. I thought it was an original 3G plus unit from Europe that was released in small numbers when the 3G was first released. I believed it was the European holy grail that supported phone SIM and bluetooth streaming.

Well I couldn't be more wrong. With my car in protection right now due to a glitch in the system I figured no harm in putting the European unit in for testing. At the very least see how the NAV would handle a different continent.

Well low and behold, this entire time my Hybrid Q5 European module was actually a US unit!!.. So whats with that SIM card slot and phone antenna aerial connection... GOOGLE MAPS!!

So believe it or not, plug and play. A couple of my MMI control buttons are wrong but all in all it works. Not sure if rewiring would fix that but I doubt it.

So I was in awe... Couldn't believe it. Ran inside and grabbed an SD card and started capturing images. I managed to convert the unit to A4 instead of Hybrid Q5 and enabled a few things. I only spent 20 minutes on it so lots of settings to sort out but it seems to work perfect.

I do have protection going on in my car right now so my radio cuts out ever few seconds but that's expected just like my CD changer. My parking camera and on screen sensor display works no problem. I can adjust all the normal settings you would expect.. Here are some pics from the unit in my car with nothing more than swapping the head unit.

Secret menu.

Cool huh :)

It seems you can use a SIM card with a data plan to get online. Some neat finds though. With a SIM in the car you can share a data connection with other devices. The MMI had a built in wireless access point.

I was also able to stream Audio via bluetooth to the unit and actually play music without it cutting out due to the protection on my radio. All very cool. Slowly figuring this out.

More Pics.

You can enable and change the wireless access point. I left most default for testing and I could connect my ipod to the wireless connection.

Bluetooth Streaming:

Here is a picture of the controls I managed to order for my retrofit. Can't wait to get them.

Now with a rogers SIM I was able to configure the MMI to use the APN settings from Rogers and get google maps working. The connection may be better with other providers in Canada but it worked flawless.

For those that wonder what the iNav button is for on the new steering wheels, well you can set for a number of items none of which makes me miss the button. Things like Map Day/Night more, voice prompts off and on....

Got the ADS menu up and going. Strange though, I can only adjust indivdual settings like on the old MMI. Although it shows me the 3 standard options it wont allow me to select them. This may have to do with the fact we are supposed to have buttons for that as where the new cars don't. I may also be that the default setting coded to individual since we first did this program change to allow us to alter the different settings on the MMI. Not really an issue or problem in any way just something to work on.

I went through and recorded all 25 VCDS codes and screen designations. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get any screen captures except for one. The MMI is very picky about exactly when and how you push the buttons for screen captures so I couldn't seem to get the others. I wasn't going to spend to much time trying since testing and recording 25 screens was painful enough. Here is the default though.

P.S. There isn't 25 different images just 25 possible screen settings.

I enabled my Aux input and that worked no problem:

Tested my ipod functions and that worked ok:

Jukebox seems to be good but I couldn't rip anything with what I had:

Got the Aux heater/vent enabled again:

For what it was worth I enabled USB hub ability:

Also captured the new step thats needed to enable Ambient Lighting.

So still some work to go but everything seems to function as expected. I'm just limited on testing some things because of he protection status of my car right now.

Finally the holy grail of the conversion.

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I can get these units for people who are interested in the conversion. It's not cheap but much less expensive than dealer. The cost here in NA shipped is $1750 for a brand new US MMI and controls. The unit can be purchased separate for those that don't care about the buttons being a bit off.

For 3G MMI it's a direct swap and the only wiring needed is an antenna wire for GSM for google. The NA cars should have that connection waiting on the antenna though, I know mine did.

I'm working with IIBen for UK and Europe peeps since I can get EU and UK units as well.

This all is just to cool :)

Will be working with a few people to figure out non NAV and 2G conversions. I will get this all up on my website at some point but best to reach me by email at david@audienthusiasts.com for now.

For those in Malaysia that are interested give FREDLES LUXURY CONCEPT a call. I work with that shop really closely and they carry most of the mods I do. +6012-6060126

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Thanks going going to the effort of assembling this mega-post David.

As he says guys, the way things currently stand those with MMI 3G High (hard drive based navigation from late 2009/2010 on) it is confirmed that you can quite painlessly upgrade. There is a confirmed kit of parts for this upgrade - multimedia unit, controls and a GSM antenna.

MMI 3G Low (dvd based navigation from late 2010/2011 on) is being looked into as well as 2G High and Low systems. David and I have spent quite the number of hours researching and sharing thoughts, and we've got to the point where we're working with owners to test part compatibility so we should be able to nail down final kit requirements for these systems very soon.

MMI 3G Low will likely be a multimedia unit, controls, GSM antenna, screen and screen surround trim - though it may well require additional harnesses. MMI 2G Low will require all of the aforementioned but will definitely require quite a few new looms. MMI 2G High is the same as MMI 2G Low minus the screen surround trim. A number of tests need to be done to confirm compatibility with the various different Radios and Amplifiers available across different years, amongst other parts.

Once we get these sorted we'll start work on the non-nav cars - for those who have no navigation and are interested, if you are able to email or PM me a VCDS AutoScan along with a detailed breakdown of your options (whether you have AMI, B&O, DAB radio, SAT radio, etc) that would help us answer a few unknowns.

Anyone in Europe that is interested in ballpark figures if you could email or PM me your vehicle year and a detailed breakdown of options. I'll be doing installs in the South of England for next to nothing but for those further afield a write up and support will be a better option else I'll have to start factoring extra costs. My email address is benfpalmer@me.com.

#31 ·
Thanks going going to the effort of assembling this mega-post David.
Yes, many thanks, this is useful information!

Anyone in Europe that is interested in ballpark figures if you could email or PM me your vehicle year and a detailed breakdown of options. I'll be doing installs in the South of England for next to nothing but for those further afield a write up and support will be a better option else I'll have to start factoring extra costs. My email address is benfpalmer@me.com.
Definitely interested, I am in Kent, will eMail as suggested!

#4 ·
@DavidB8 - having an already working 2G High system, the cost of this upgrade is a bit too rich for me, but just wanted to chime in and say big respect for this top class mod. Your commitment and tech knowledge is clearly top drawer. Good luck with your refinements buddy, I'll continue to watch this space out of avid technical interest.

#7 ·
DML - easiest way to tell is if you've got a little joystick on your main MMI knob then it's high, if not then it's low :)

#12 ·
I know.. How odd that it doesn't come on the same way. I've scoured menus and don't see anything missing. I have a few things left to try but not sure how successful we'll become.

I actually lived with that feature while working on my car so I had a good idea of how long I had before needing to charge up.

#14 · (Edited)
Hey Rob, so hows the new ride going with the lowered suspension? Been thinking about your car a lot after the swap it looks great!

Anyway.. It's not a matter of enabling them, some units just don't have them. Your unit has a part number of 666 (evil) and the google map unit is 746 which has the SIM slot. So the only way to get google in your car is to swap the unit. As you can see from the pictures above I did get google maps working in my car here in Canada with the proper unit.

On another note per our conversation it looks like I can get ADS enabled on your menu as well. Unfortunately I'm going to be tied up tomorrow but we'll hook up soon.

#16 ·
You mean to say people who have no Navi and only Concert radios can also do this conversion??? Thank you in advance!!
Working on it :) Not been done yet but it's definitely possible!

#20 ·
Just bought an S5 FL with Tech pack low (DVD Nav), regretting it now, will this allow me to upgrade to the HDD Nav system and have all the bits you get in Tech pack high (Google stuff)?

#22 ·
Yes that's right Eps. I've sent you a PM

Hey David, so for us Canadians with a new 3G MMI with navigation, what would we need to enable google maps? Just the piece that has the SIM card slot and some coding?
Essentially - you need to replace the multimedia unit itself. Those who are in this circumstance are actually in a great position to re-sell their units and make a decent proportion of the cost back.

#23 ·
just noticed the centre console piece comes with the start button function. it is possible to retrofit this button with the new trim?

#26 ·
Depends on your car Nemo - incoming PM.

#27 ·
good stuff, definitely interested.
I've got a NA 2011 pre-FL premium+ w/o SatNav/MOST. Got B&O and AMI.
Would be interested in knowing how much this would cost me :)
Please send me a PM!

#28 ·
Guys, for people in Canada you have to replace your MMI and if pre 2013 console as well. You do not need to get buttons with a start button if you don't have start.

Anything without 3G is still being figured out but would need more work as you can imagine.

Cost for the US units here right now is $1350. I have placed a few orders for people and a got a few extra's just in case. UK unit's Ben is working with people since he is more local and can compound some shipping costs. I even got a couple units going to Germany direct from the supplier since they are in the EU in an undisclosed secret bunker location.

#30 ·
It depends on the phone. Assuming it's the same as the system in the A6/7, if you've got an iphone and are in the UK, it seems you're screwed. Unfortunately the ideal situation of a data sim in the dash and then bluetoothing to your phone for calls, isn't possible (unless you happen to have US firmware on the device). This is quite an interesting read: MMI Navigation Plus / Online Services / Mobile Phones [Archive] - VW AUDI Forum - VWAF

#34 ·
Sorry I haven't updated anything for a bit, been really busy. I have managed to use Audi connect on the MMI so it looks like that is working as well. I don't see a huge thing for it but nice to know that the features are all there.

Well French is just a language setting. Unfortunately all euro units are backlogged right now. Trying to get more but could be a month or two for all back orders filled.

Very excited about the prospect of doing this.

Tempted to do tv tuner and reversing camera at the same time. Been a while since I got my hands dirty attempting a retrofit myself but hopefully there'll be help on hand!

Can't wait.
I have reverse camera kits and can get the new TV tuners ;)

#33 ·
Very excited about the prospect of doing this.

Tempted to do tv tuner and reversing camera at the same time. Been a while since I got my hands dirty attempting a retrofit myself but hopefully there'll be help on hand!

Can't wait.

#35 ·
Ddavid , i have the new facelift 3g+ navigation retrofited on my car but is not the one with the sim slot. can i use the google earth on it or i need the unit with SIM Slot?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.