Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After I all these years i finally got to truly _drive_ one of these cars. Went with a friend this weekend to one of Audi Club USA's "safety and performance driving schools." These happen all over and anyone can jump in. Here's a quick wrap up.

This was a two day event with 90 other aficionados held at a 2+ mile racetrack. Driver safety is #1. Fun is #1 too.

Friday night was tech check and getting acquainted.

Saturday morning after the required 8:00 drivers' meeting was class time - turn geometry, safety, courtesy, track dynamics - for novices (me) then on the track with your instructor.

Instructors are performance car owners and veteran track drivers.

Audis, Beemers, Porsches old and new are all around. Most of these guys - and gals - are veterans. I'm one of 9 novices.

10:45 a.m. Saturday and I'm flagged on track with my instructor, Jim. We warm up the tires, and stay relaxed, get the feel of it. A couple of laps, and we are executing lift, brake, turn in, track out, feather, find and hold the line. Down the straight, into turn one, curve up and around to the right, brake hard, right, throttle on, tap the brakes at the crest, hard left and up the hill, right, power on, up the hill and over the top at speed (blind turn on the far side), brake hard, hard right, through the esses, full on into the the hairpin, brake hard, hard right, full power through turns 11 and 12 uphill to the straight, fourth, fifth, brake hard, repeat.

We had five run groups, 8 or 10 cars in each and repeated this all day and Sunday. Plus more class time in between.

Great camaraderie, stories, new and old friends.

Driving is fast, focused, challenging. My instructors are calm, smart, experienced.

In two days I had maybe 50 laps at speed.

And, the car was happy.
S.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Sounds like great fun, what speed did you get up to?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
About 120 before running out of room. Maybe two or three seconds in 5th before hard braking to go into turn 1. The sensation of speed was pretty intense at full throttle in other parts of the track (up and down hills, awkward camber sweeper, etc). Totally stock, the car did very well, especially on the more open radius turns.
There should be some pictures in later.
Check out http://www.audiclubmi.org/html/menu/.htm
Stavros

1 - 4 of 4 Posts