Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer wants to replace my engine after only 4 months and 6500kms.

What should i do. Is this car a lemon?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A5 3.2 V6

There was this knocking noise at idle and under acceleration the noise just got quicker.

Is this an acceptable solution? replace the engine.

·
Registered
457 Posts
A5 3.2 V6

There was this knocking noise at idle and under acceleration the noise just got quicker.

Is this an acceptable solution? replace the engine.
Could be transmission or engine. If the dealer diagnosed the problem coming from the motor then
Yes, A knocking noise at idle that increases under acceleration is something wrong internally, likely a spun bearing or a wrist pin (holds the piston to the rod) means you need a new motor. Actually, there are two solutions really. Either rebuild the motor or replace the motor. The cheapest alternative for Audi would be to replace the motor.

Good luck and keep us updated.

·
Registered
171 Posts
If it were me, I'd push for a new car under ownership longevity and resale concerns.

Best of luck with it!!

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
As i've said before, if my car was "broken and repaired", it would just continue to annoy me. I'd be looking for a replacement, or to have the contract/finance terminated.

Not to mention the fact that the resale value might be affected. The car will always have with it, it's history that the engine was replaced after 6,500km. Which would put me off if I was buying it second hand. the major givaway with that being the record of the mileage correction.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Make sure you have gap insurance and then crash it, write it off and get a new one.

...I'm not being much help am I?

;)

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You know i was considering having the car stolen from their lot :p....but yeah as for replacing the car, i doubt thats going to happen. It would get messy with Lawyers and be a long drawn out process.

I mean it is a new engine. Thats a plus right.

·
Registered
457 Posts
As i've said before, if my car was "broken and repaired", it would just continue to annoy me. I'd be looking for a replacement, or to have the contract/finance terminated.

Not to mention the fact that the resale value might be affected. The car will always have with it, it's history that the engine was replaced after 6,500km. Which would put me off if I was buying it second hand. the major givaway with that being the record of the mileage correction.
Resale won't be affected at all...it's just a new motor, not a chassis repair. I wouldn't get a new car or anything. If it was some type of classic car where numbers matching mattered, then it would depreciate the car, but that is not the case here. It's just a new motor and nothing is wrong with the car. I've done many engine swaps in the past with no problems what-so-ever. One of my old 4-runners went another 120,000 miles on a motor swap before I sold it.

It's up to you in the end, but no real reason to get rid of a car that is under warranty, and will be in the foreseeable future. Just my .02

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Resale won't be affected at all...it's just a new motor, not a chassis repair. I wouldn't get a new car or anything. If it was some type of classic car where numbers matching mattered, then it would depreciate the car, but that is not the case here. It's just a new motor and nothing is wrong with the car. I've done many engine swaps in the past with no problems what-so-ever. One of my old 4-runners went another 120,000 miles on a motor swap before I sold it.

It's up to you in the end, but no real reason to get rid of a car that is under warranty, and will be in the foreseeable future. Just my .02
If it's a private sale, then the resale value is likely to be affected, here in the UK anyway. We're required to divulge information like that. And private buyers are scared away by such history. Especially with the amount of "lemons" we have in this country.

I've just recently sold a 6 year old TVR that had an engine transplant at 4,000 miles, and it certainly lost a lot of value. Not due to the well-known TVR depreciation, but because of the record of an engine transplant and mileage correction.

I personally wouldn't buy a car that's had an engine transplant, it just screams out "lemon" to me.

Personal preferance, maybe.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
do you think i should make a big stink about this? I have a feeling if i do, i might need to involve lawyers and it could be a long process.

please advise.

·
Registered
677 Posts
You could ask for compensation for loss of resale value. It has been given in other circumstances before.

·
Registered
457 Posts
New car or money back.
Do not settle for anything less.

·
Registered
677 Posts
New car or money back.
Do not settle for anything less.
Not going to happen. You would have to appeal to the lemon laws for replacement. That takes 3 repairs for the same problem minimum. A new engine is one repair.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hey Robbie, the one thing make sure happens is that they are giving you a NEW motor and not a rebuild. Get it in writing.

·
Registered
384 Posts
A new engine is a plus not a minus. You are overthinking the problem here. I think anyone would want a new engine over an old engine thus the resale will go up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts