Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all, had my 2016 B8.5 S5 for a week now and love it. Feel like disks are warped so looking for new disks and pads! I’ve looked at EBC has anyone else got any recommendations please!
Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Have you cooked your brakes already!? :)

Warping can be mistaken for cooked deposits on your disc face. The discs might not actually be warped.

Depends on your budget!

Before you get into thousands on big brake kits like AP or Brembo, I think these are a good intermediate https://www.awesomegti.com/shop-by-brand/ecs-tuning/ecs-front-2-piece-brake-discs-audi-s4-and-s5-b8/

Cheapest = good branded discs eg Brembo OEM and performance pads like EBC, Red stuff are very low dust ceramic pad, but not really a sport pad, Yellow stuff are good, then you have Ferrodo DS sport pads etc etc

Mild - EBC slotted and dimpled with matching pads

Medium - the 2 piece disc and aluminium bells as ECS above. The 2 piece design resists warping much more than a solid one piece as the hub bell allows heat transfer and flex or movement.

Medium Intermediate - Putting 2nd hand RS brake kits on.

Expensive - Big brake kits with 4, 6 or 8 pot calipers, but you are going £2k+ with this route

I have standard brakes on mine and after years of trying big brake setups and performance pads etc on other cars, it is normally the 'user' that warps or overheats them. ;) Granted OEM set ups won't take repeated heavy braking and will gas up giving pad float, which is brake fade, but I make sure I don't stamp on them from cold. If possible, if I'm going to do some spirited driving, I will warm the brakes first. Getting them hot very quickly from cold can warp them or cook the pads, glazing them.

When I come to replace mine, I would want the ECS 2 piece discs, more for aesthetics than performance and a low dust pad as the graphite rotor wheels look almost black after a week of driving! I had std discs and EBC red stuff pads on my 3.0TDi and they stayed clean from dust, just a bit of light grey dust after 2 weeks!

Note, slotted or drilled discs will give slightly more dust and possible wear the pad more due to the disc rotor acting like a sander. They are good for removing gas build up and deposits though, that is their job. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for all the info Dave, I don’t think it would of been me, as I haven’t pushed the brakes while cold, I have had significant fade when high speed braking. The brakes do seem very good when driving normally just high speed breaking is a big issue. I may go for oem and with ebc pads. See how that goes as the warranty should cover new disks. I’ll be doing about 300 miles tomorrow see how they behave tomorrow.

thanks for the great advice as ever

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Yes most, if not all OEM setups will fade at high speed, except proper performance setups like the RS models etc :)

I know you said your warranty was a good one, but it would be a very good one if it covered brakes as generally they don't as it's a wear and tear serviceable part. But no harm in trying :)

If they feel a bit warped, a little tip from me to clean the disc and pad, hose or pour water on the brakes, then it will give a bit of surface rust when dry, then when you next brake, it rubs the rust off and cleans the surface a little bit. :) I've noticed this after washing my car.

But yes the standard brakes are good, just won't take high speed or lots of repeated heavy braking.

·
Registered
510 Posts
i was advised against ebc as apparently they eat discs like theres no tomorrow, i went with pagid's when changed them few months back, exact same as oem, but without the rings logo for which you get charged about £100 odd quid more, i think paid around £400 for the fronts.
it would probably depend on what you want to spend and how you drive and some good info there as usual Dave! :)

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I did nearly 20k miles on the red stuff and the discs were smooth like glass, no scoring etc and only had a tiny lip around the edges. EBC yellow or blue can eat discs more then the red or green, but generally if you have yellow or blue, then you are going to be using the brakes a lot harder as otherwise, there's no point in buying those. :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
i was advised against ebc as apparently they eat discs like theres no tomorrow.
It depends who you listen to I guess.
I've got ebc grooved and dimpled disc and red stuff pads on my s5 and no issues at all. It is not a race pad but high speed braking has improved massively over the oe set up .
The std brakes were designed for a car with 333 bhp,so if your staying stock go with oem.if you decide to go stage 1-2 I would personally upgrade.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
It depends who you listen to I guess.
I've got ebc grooved and dimpled disc and red stuff pads on my s5 and no issues at all. It is not a race pad but high speed braking has improved massively over the oe set up .
The std brakes were designed for a car with 333 bhp,so if your staying stock go with oem.if you decide to go stage 1-2 I would personally upgrade.
EBC have improved quality a lot since they started. I remember trying the 'new' red stuff compound 20 years ago and they were shockingly bad. I put them on new and went on a track day, they wore out in 30 minutes!! They didn't bite either and actually over shot some corners. They wore right down to the backing plate and I had to drive home using the handbrake, good job it was the old lever and cable. :) But now they are much improved!

I may get some for the S5, mainly due to no dust!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Input EBC red pads on and I'm pleased with them. Much less dust, and braking is good for spirited road driving. I've not had it on a track so can't comment.

I have EBC pads and disks on my motorbike and these are very good.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the advice guys, I’m going to go for EBC pads and disks, hopefully over the weekend :) so grateful for all the advice very much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Input EBC red pads on and I'm pleased with them. Much less dust, and braking is good for spirited road driving. I've not had it on a track so can't comment.

I have EBC pads and disks on my motorbike and these are very good.
I had EBC HH sintered on my bike :) Could hear the front wheel locking and chirping away on the track! :)

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Thanks for all the advice guys, I’m going to go for EBC pads and disks, hopefully over the weekend :) so grateful for all the advice very much appreciated!
(y)
Are you DIYing or getting a garage to fit them? It is an easy job. :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
EBC have improved quality a lot since they started. I remember trying the 'new' red stuff compound 20 years ago and they were shockingly bad. I put them on new and went on a track day, they wore out in 30 minutes!!
Dave I remember them well I put a set on a 1985 Mg Montego turbo 25+ years ago and they were so coarse ,the disc looked like a old vinyl record

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Dave I remember them well I put a set on a 1985 Mg Montego turbo 25+ years ago and they were so coarse ,the disc looked like a old vinyl record
Yeah, I put them on a Rover Coupe Turbo, but they were so soft, you could actually feel the brake pedal sinking as the pads wore down!!

I saw the minimum pad thickness tab (in those days it was a metal tab that screeched on the disc to let you know you needed to change pads, non of this dash lights malarkey!) fly off with sparks as the pad wore down and started to use the backing plate.

Thankfully, they are much improved now!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will get a garage to fit them for me, I’m not very hands on! Any advice on bedding the EBC pads?

·
Sponsor
2,299 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Yep as above. My own personal way of bedding in is (best to do on a quiet road, if possible)
Drive down a side street, if possible, brake very lightly at no more than 20 mph down to 5-10mph, but do not stop, repeat 3 times.
Brake lightly from 30mph to 10 mph x3 - let brakes cool to stone cold again, maybe park up and leave for 30 mins.
Brake lightly from 30mph to 10 mph, then speed up to about 40-50mph, brake with medium force down to 10 mph, don't stop. Speed back up and repeat x2.
Let brakes cool.
Brake lightly from 40mph down to 20mph, basically to warm brakes, then brake heavily from 60mph down to 30mph x3.
Let brakes cool
This process, so long as you do it near enough depending on traffic and road whether it is possible, will bed them in. Basically do low speed light braking, then build it up, letting the brakes cooling off periods.

The Red stuff pads have a break in coating to clean and prepare the disc.

On my 3.0TDi, they took a good 1000miles before they were fully bed in and the dust settled to hardly anything. During bed-in they will dust still and also you may get some days with an annoying screeching! I'm not sure if it was some pad transfer or not, but it did it twice. I just reversed and braked, then it disappeared. A lot of red stuff reviews will say about the screeching, but in my case it was twice and only for a short period.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts