Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tisher Audi of Silver Spring, MD. a unsold Black A5 up for grabs.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Erica at Jim Ellis Audi in Atlanta also has a new ice silver A5, as well as a Black pre-owned S5

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
While on the subject, Penske Audi in West Covina, CA has a blk/blk A5 6AT loaded.

Last I checked Circle Audi in Long Beach, CA has an Ice Silver/Blk 6MT A5 w/nav, premium, 19" Y-spoke, and tech (no B&O, no S-Line), they also have a Blk/Blk 6MT A5 with S-Line and no nav. They also have a Dark Blue/Grey 6AT A5 with premium and nav. They also have 2 S5's.

These are the only two dealers that I've checked, but I've seen more than 5-6 of them floating around, which only leads me to believe that the car isn't as rare as they want you to believe. I almost bought the Ice Silver 6MT at Circle Audi, but the salesman Frank Clark didn't want to budge on the price (full retail plus I bargained the market adjustment down to $1500).

IMHO with most dealers taking orders for 2009's claiming the price should be no more than 1% different, there is NO reason that a 2008 that has been sitting on the lot and driven by the riff-raff should command full price. Plus it's a 6MT, which in this genre of car is less popular, and the car had 250 miles on it already.

I told him if he killed the market adjustment completely and removed and deducted the 19" Y-spoke wheels, we'd be in business. I had talked to him consistently for 2 weeks, drove the car twice, and had my checkbook in hand with pre-approved financing. When he wouldn't budge, I walked away and stopped returning his calls. Waste of everyone's time. Turned around same day and ordered my 2009 from a different dealer.

I guarantee you that car is still there and actually has more miles on it. I was actually fairly turned off by that experience, but maybe one of you guys will be luckier in getting the price down now that we are that much closer to the 2009 release.

-Ray

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yuck, what a crap experience. This is one of the main reasons I've been holding off on pulling the trigger: I refuse to pay sticker price, much less above sticker, for any depreciating asset. It's simply not worth that much to me. Brilliant car, yes, but not worth padding someone elses' pocket.

That being said, it appears that several shops in Ohio, especially in Columbus (Byers Imports) seem to have pretty good supply. More to the point, over at Fourtitude there is a discussion about a purchase made closer to invoice than sticker, which surprised me.

What's more surprising is that this somewhat corroborates another anecdotal piece I've heard of people starting to get discounts in the last week or so. Methinks that shops with A5s/S5s on their lots are trying to hit numbers for the month and are willing to move them out in order to do so.

While on the subject, Penske Audi in West Covina, CA has a blk/blk A5 6AT loaded.

Last I checked Circle Audi in Long Beach, CA has an Ice Silver/Blk 6MT A5 w/nav, premium, 19" Y-spoke, and tech (no B&O, no S-Line), they also have a Blk/Blk 6MT A5 with S-Line and no nav. They also have a Dark Blue/Grey 6AT A5 with premium and nav. They also have 2 S5's.

These are the only two dealers that I've checked, but I've seen more than 5-6 of them floating around, which only leads me to believe that the car isn't as rare as they want you to believe. I almost bought the Ice Silver 6MT at Circle Audi, but the salesman Frank Clark didn't want to budge on the price (full retail plus I bargained the market adjustment down to $1500).

IMHO with most dealers taking orders for 2009's claiming the price should be no more than 1% different, there is NO reason that a 2008 that has been sitting on the lot and driven by the riff-raff should command full price. Plus it's a 6MT, which in this genre of car is less popular, and the car had 250 miles on it already.

I told him if he killed the market adjustment completely and removed and deducted the 19" Y-spoke wheels, we'd be in business. I had talked to him consistently for 2 weeks, drove the car twice, and had my checkbook in hand with pre-approved financing. When he wouldn't budge, I walked away and stopped returning his calls. Waste of everyone's time. Turned around same day and ordered my 2009 from a different dealer.

I guarantee you that car is still there and actually has more miles on it. I was actually fairly turned off by that experience, but maybe one of you guys will be luckier in getting the price down now that we are that much closer to the 2009 release.

-Ray

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've contacted all the dealers in SoCal. Yes, there are several A5's down here, but not a lot.

Many dealers will sell at MSRP. Most will sell a car on order (enroute or being built) at MSRP. I haven't found anyone who will sell below MSRP or even give any incentives (e.g. AudiCare).

SupraBlur, the black/black 6MT at Circle is their showroom anchor. They want $5000 over MSRP for it. They're not likely to part with it lightly since it's free advertising for them (unlike the other cars which are just taking up lot space).

The reason '08s are not getting any discount over '09s is because there isn't any difference between the model years (except Drive Select) and most cars are being sold before they hit the dealership. Cars on the lot aren't lasting a week before being sold, most of the time at over retail.

My advice is that if there's a car you like, push for MSRP, but don't expect better. If the color/options are uncommon, you may have to pay over MSRP.

Or just order. You swallow the '09 price increase but you get the exact car you want (in about 5-6 months or more).

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
The reason '08s are not getting any discount over '09s is because there isn't any difference between the model years (except Drive Select) and most cars are being sold before they hit the dealership. Cars on the lot aren't lasting a week before being sold, most of the time at over retail.

My advice is that if there's a car you like, push for MSRP, but don't expect better. If the color/options are uncommon, you may have to pay over MSRP.

Or just order. You swallow the '09 price increase but you get the exact car you want (in about 5-6 months or more).
Did they still have the Ice Silver A5 at Circle when you called? That car has actually been there for a few months, if so. (also stickered at $5k over MSRP)

I probably would have been happy at MSRP, but no such luck killing the $1500 market adjustment. Like you said, I went the other route and am now getting an '09 with the exact options I want.

In a couple of months it won't matter, and all of those leftover 2008's will have to be discounted. I can't imagine a dealer asking the same for an 08 when there are also 09's coming in, but I have seen weirder things (like used Scion tC's going for the same price as new ones when we were shopping for my girlfriend's car a few months ago).

-Ray

·
Registered
120 Posts

-Ray
whay exactly is this "market adjustment" everyone is referring to?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Market Adjustment...

Market adjustment is the dollar amount OVER MSRP the dealer thinks the market is willing to pay. In this case, in Southern California, demand is so far over supply the dealers are able to sell the cars $5K OVER MSRP because there are buyers willing to pay it...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I negotiated for the very same blk/blk A5 (loaded, no tech package) at the West Covina, CA Audi on 5/31/08 and they would not accept MSRP. if it's still on the lot, that's another 10 days you can add that the car has not been sold.

They were asking $3000 premium market adj. and $3000 in dealer options (lojack, audi care, wheel/tire care) over MSRP. Also, if you go in there, be careful, the MSRP is incorrect, and overstated by $900 as they are charging you twice for the 19" y-spoke wheels, which is an included item in the S-line package. I caught them on this, then they tried to negotiate that as a "discount" to the price. To my knowledge they still haven't corrected their sticker, so an unsuspecting consumer may still be fooled by $900.

i agree with everyone else, don't pay the dealer rip off premium.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
The blk/blk in West Co is a cancelled order. I'm surprised they aren't trying harder to just dump it.

However if you are really interested in that one, I do know some people there who can probably get that price lower. PM me.

-Ray

·
Registered
38 Posts
Scumbag SoCal Dealers

It's because of dealers like the one in West Covina, or at DTLA, or Santa Monica or Auto Gallery (Woodland Hills) or Keyes (Van Nuys) that I bought a custom 09 from Arizona and will gladly be paying sticker.

I told Auto Gallery I would bring a check for MSRP (about a week ago) for their white A5 and the guy said there was no chance they would move below $5K over MSRP since they had others interested in it...

What a joke, in two months this car will already be a year older and be worth $5K LESS THAN STICKER if anything...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts