Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am new to this Forum and the A5 as well. It is starting to get hot down here in Houston so it's time to get tint. Does anyone know what type of tint I should go with and also a good place to get it installed in Houston?

I have a 2012 A5. Black on black.

Thanks!

·
Registered
851 Posts
I went with ceramic tint all the way around. Pricey, but worth it IMO.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Momentum Audi in houston recommended me to go to a place called executive tint, its off of 610 & I-10 West. I paid around $180 for mine last month and rolled the windows down next day and no bubbles so they did a pretty good job. I didn't do ceramic I believe I did their titanium, the ceramic was around $300.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I am also thinking about getting 35% tint and wondering if I should go with ceramic tint or regular tint. I live in NY and its not as hot as Texas, but black on black is a heat magnet.

Does anyone know if ceramic tint can have any negative effects on side assist, since it has radar?

And can anyone please clarify the issues with tint and radar detectors, because I may get one down the line.

Also I have read about people tinting their sunroof with 5% to help with heat reduction, and you may want to consider putting a light tint on the windshield, maybe 70% or 50% the darkest IMO.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Ceramic tint has no metal in it; therefore, a plus is no issues with electronics.

LLumar makes a clear Windscreen Film. The guy who tints my vehicles has it on his car, and it's hard to tell it's there.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Ceramic tint has no metal in it; therefore, a plus is no issues with electronics.

LLumar makes a clear Windscreen Film. The guy who tints my vehicles has it on his car, and it's hard to tell it's there.
Thanks, the Llumar product would be a good option for the windshield.

·
Registered
267 Posts
If your audi dealer will tint the car for you get them to do it. I went to a tint place and had mine done and they blew my amp. Was not covered under warranty and cost me $2000 to replace :(

·
Registered
851 Posts
If your audi dealer will tint the car for you get them to do it. I went to a tint place and had mine done and they blew my amp. Was not covered under warranty and cost me $2000 to replace :(
My tint guy was fully aware of the A5 issue and took precautions to prevent any damage.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I got 3m Crystalline tint. Expensive but blocks tons of heat. Lifetime warranty against peeling, bubbling and fading. And the warranty (if you ever need it ) is recognized at any 3m dealer nationwide.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have huper optik on my wife's car (sech 60 fronts, ceramic 40 on the rest) and 3M crystalline (CR60 fronts, CR50 the rest and CR40 on the pana roof) on mine. I find the 3M CR50 and CR40 to be very good but the Sech60 huper optik has the best optics in terms of clarity and out performs the CR60 from 3M where heat soak say for 30 mins under the hot sun, you can feel the CR60 effectiveness diminishes (same issue with Huper Optik's Ceramic 70). The Sech60 holds up well in this condition.

Both are good tints nonetheless. Earlier Batches of 3M Crystalline 50/40 had hard coat issues where it easily chips off. Has since been resolved since late last year. Also now comes with 3M stamped all over the film to mark its authencity which can be removed by the installer using some solution.

Looks wise both are great looking but 3M edges out cos its slightly less reflective in my opinion (on angle) and gives the deep soft look which I like.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts