Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I'm rather embarrassed to say that I have just reversed into a brick wall and have nicely cracked my rear bumper! :eek:

Now then, I'm certain I will need a new rear bumper sprayed red, with parking sensors and fitted. Do you guys think this i a definite job for Audi or would you risk taking it to a local bodyshop to save a few quid?

Also, how much do you reckon Audi might charge to have the job done? Im expecting it to be big!

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I'd expect audi's labour rates to be very expensive.

Problem is, though, if you get the bumper sprayed at another bodyshop, audi may refuse to honour any future paintwork warranty on the car.

If the car's leased? ... then the finance company may require you to go to an audi bodyshop.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hi
Sorry to hear your bad luck. I have had similiar experience this week which I have posted on a thread. Someone went into the back of my car this week and dented and scratched the bumper, probably not as damaged as yours. The guy admitted liability and his insurers contacted my wife advising to get in touch as they would honour the claim. They wanted her to take it to a local body shop and advised they would sort out a courtesy car. When she took it down, she was told that they only had Ford Ka's. I was not happy for them to do the work as I was worried they may have been some internal damage that could emerge at a later date. Phoned Audi who advised the car had to come to them and put me on to Accident Management who deal with Insurance claims and hire cars for Audi, Mercedes and BMW. They have arranged for us and will deliver a like for like car to her work and pick up the Audi and take it to Audi dealership. They warned her that the insurance company would probably call her back and try bullying her into agreeing to go with there nominated body shop. Coincidently she had a call from the guys insurers 10 minutes later who did just that advising her they would dispute the courtesy car fee from Accident Management as they classed there rates "Extortionate" and warned her she would be liable for the costs. Phoned Accident Management back who assured her she would not have to pay a penny and we are quite within our rights to take it where we choose. The warranty issue was also a worry. My advice would be to bite the bullet and go to Audi as you know they will be Audi approved parts and you will have peace of mind knowing the car is being repaired by a main dealer. If you decide to sell it and disclose it has had a new bumper, at least you will have the documentation to show it has been repaired by Audi.

P.S Be more carefull next time and turn the volume on your parking sensors up!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
You will be looking at around £258 inc vat for the rear bumper alone. A good bodyshop approved by insurers should be able to spray the bumper to a very high standard for around £125. You may have to pay extra for fitting.
Dont be fooled into thinking that an Audi bodyshop will do a perfect job. You will still need to go over the repair with a fine tooth comb.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow - "around" £258 - sounds pretty specific to me. Its actully a lot less than I thought it might be. What a relief!

Does anyone foresee any problems getting hold of a rear bumper given the waiting times for current A5s?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I suggest if you want to go this route then contact Martyn at vagparts.com and give him your car's chassis no. and he will be able to order you a bumper direct from germany at cheaper price then i have mentioned. You should be able to get one within a week if they are in stock at germany.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Excellent - have e-mailed him now. Thank you so much for your help Morski. Will keep this thread updated.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Your welcome. However i serioulsy suggest you ring him first thing monday morning and speak to him. They get zillions of emails and he might be able to respond for ages. Parts ordered before 12ish on monday usually arrive by the end of the week.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Also, how much do you reckon Audi might charge to have the job done? Im expecting it to be big!
I am really sorry to hear about your bad luck. Just wanted to add to the choir that have Audi repair it. That might not always be a guarantee of best work of course, but if you don't have personal experience or information of either Audi or the other bodyshop, Audi dealer will be the safer choice - and a (at least better) guarantee they will use approved parts. Simply put, it also sound better that "Audi fixed it", if you ever have to disclose it - as shelltell said.

I don't want to make fun of your ordeal (have been there myself!), but doesn't your signature sound a bit funny now? :)

Parking System Plus (...for the missus!)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know - Im so embarrased!

There were actually a couple of young guys walking very close around the front of the car admiring it as I was reversing. I was paying far too much attention to what they were doing and looking at than to what I was reversing into! Needless to say they burst out laughing as soon as I hit the wall - not too gently either! Damn these good looking cars!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Managed to get rear bumper from vagparts for £286 delivered. Pretty impressed with that. My local bodyshop says it will cost £160 alone just to paint and will take approx 2.5-3 hrs to fit. So I'm guessing I'll be looking at a bill of around £500 in total. What a plonker!

·
Registered
388 Posts
new bumper

hi ,just collected the car from audi with a brand new bumper fitted!!,i'm so glad i opted for audi to do the work as the fit & finish is superb!!! just hope it stays that way!

1.8tfsi sport
brill blk
drl's,with mods! xenonmatch fogs
star silver leather,
bluetooth,
auto folding & dimming mirrors
interior light pack
two shiny chrome tailpipes!
hill hold
debadged

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How much did Audi charge to supply, spray and fit a new rear bumper if I can ask?

Im still unsure what to do with mine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats outrageous!!!!!

My local places are all roughly about £500-525 and I think thats pretty steep!!

£1200!! You must be a bloody millionaire! :D

·
Registered
388 Posts
plus forgot to mention audi are charging the insurance company £429.28 a day for the a4 cabrio s-line we have just had for 7 days!!! work that one out!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts