Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

need buying advice

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  sayek 
#1 ·
Looking at a 2013+ manual S5 or possibly A5. My concern with the A5 is I won't be happy with the power. Is a stage 1 tuned A5 going to feel similar to a stock S5? The A5 is much more affordable so that is why I am considering that.

Any issues with tuning a 2014 A5 with a manual transmission and 70+ thousand miles? TIA!

#2 ·
I'm not sure on which models you have in the US, but which model A5 are you looking at? The 2.0 4 pot TFSI seems popular and with some money spent on it, it can over the power of the standard S5. But most who buy the S5 will mod that too and then you're looking at 450bhp easily.

But you need to assess if you spent the money on an A5 to get it up to S5 performance, and this includes brakes etc then some may say, put that money into the S5. The seats in an S5 are also pretty much class leading and look very nice, compared to a BMW! BMs look like Audi SE spec.

There is lots of tuning out there for both models and there aren't any issues that I know of from tuning. I do know the 2.0 TFSI can have oil pump issues, but not sure on affected years.

My advice would be go for a slightly older S5, post 2012 for a tuneable with plenty of options of aftermarket stuff or even hold out to save a bit more money for a nice S5 as if you get the A5, you may start to think what if. :)

Reactions: SimonRoma
#4 ·
I suppose it depends on how far you were going to go on modding the A5? As you could probably easily spend 5k getting it to S5 standards. I know the K04 turbo on the 2.0T is popular and getting that set up would eat into have of that 5k.

But I'm not going to tell you how to spend your money. I just know if you want an S5 and get an A5, you will be always wondering and looking on You Tube at S5s. :D

The A5 2.0T is still a good car and in S line spec will get you near the S5 buzz, but as they say over there, there ain't no substitute for cubic inches! Yeah ok the S5 only has a 1000cc more, 2 extra cylinders and the intoxicating supercharger whine! :)

#6 ·
Yeah, I'm just wondering if the 2.0T would be enough or not. My current car has 302 HP but no turbo, but it's also bigger. I haven't driven a manual in 20 years so that is why I want one again, surely the 2.0T would keep me satisfied for a while and if not I could then look into mods? I need to drive one but there aren't any available in my area.

#7 ·
Test drives!!!

Depends on your current car, size, engine etc as I rented a Mustang 3.6 V6 in Florida and that supposedly had 300bhp, but compared to my auto A5 3.0 TDI remapped to 310bhp, the Mustang felt like it only had half the power. So the A5 2.0T may feel 'faster'.

Depends on which 2.0T you get as well as the power varies from 170bhp up to 225bhp. A simple 5 or $600 remap will get you to around the 300bhp on the 225bhp version.

But if you want a quick 2.0T and intend on remapping etc, you need Quattro really. I find the front wheel drive only Audis, even in standard form can be a handful especially in the wet!

Bet I've got you thinking now! :)

Reactions: sayek
#8 ·
Dave my man, you are spot on the money!!! I agree that there is NO substitute for cubes and the 3.0L or even the 4.2 V8 is a stunning engine. The A5 is (in my opinion) tooooo heavy for the 2.0L even with loads of turbos. Get an S5 mate and you will never regret it......

Reactions: sayek
#9 ·
Can't really add much to what Dave already said :)

I have A5 211bhp version FWD. Its not really a fast car but more of a replaxed drive with the 350NM torque without the sound of a 4pot diesl sound.

If you performance the only answer would be a stock S5.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.