Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I have been looking at getting an A5 3.0 TDI BE but I’m a little concerned if I will not see any issues straight away.

this is my first time buying an audi and I’m not sure on what common issues may be hidden. What should look I out for? I’ve been speaking with an owner currently and they said everything has been fine on the car other than them changing the wheels. It’s a 2013 A5 3.0 with 72k miles on it. Should I look at a more newer one rather an going for the older one?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi there

First thing: "It’s a 2013 A5 3.0 with 72k miles on it. Should I look at a more newer one rather an going for the older one? " - That statement has its own questions!
  • What is your budget?
  • Where are you wanting to buy from?
    • Audi used approved - dealers? (1 years warranty for example)
    • Trade (not audi dealers)? (3 months warranty for example)
    • Private? (no warranty...)
  • What research have you already done on A5s - looking for common failing issues
    • Search this forum for a start.
  • Can you take a knowledgeable mechanic with you to view cars?
    • Do you know one?
    • Can you pay for one?
  • Does the car you're after have full service history?
    • Dealer history?
    • Independent garage history?
    • Documented evidence?
Next - "I’m a little concerned if I will not see any issues straight away. "
  • What is meant by straight away?
    • During a test drive?
    • 1 week later?
    • 1 month later?
    • 1 year later?
    • The person selling the car may not know there's an issue. The issue may arise from your driving style?
      • They drive like Miss Daisy
      • You drive like Colin McRae!
And - "I’ve been speaking with an owner currently and they said everything has been fine on the car other than them changing the wheels"
  • How far away is the current owner?
  • How long have they owned the car?
  • How many previous owners?
  • Have you physically seen the car? (you cant necessarily believe what people say!)
  • Service history - full (book with stamps, paperwork of work done)
  • Other repairs done? - documented if possible
As for old cars - i have a 2009 3.0TDI S-line with 79k on it and it runs perfect. Full service history. So an old car doesn't necessarily matter if its been looked after.

And i wouldn't worry that its your first time buying an Audi. The above matters to any make of car you buy, if you are worried about what you're buying. I'd take someone with you if possible.

Reactions: SimonRoma

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello, guess I really didn’t put enough information, sorry!

Budget
My budget is 15k

Seller
I’m current speaking to a private owner.
I have found 2 vehicles that I like the look of problem is I can only get ahold of one owner...
However I have since found a 2015 version with 63000 miles for 15k from a more local garage as well which might be a better idea.

Research
I will be honest I haven’t done as much homework as I should regarding issues. This forum does look like the best place to start. Did see there was a class action lawsuit for a few models including the a5 which I will have to look more into

Mechanic
I have a few friends and family that are quite mechanically minded so I’ll see if they are free to tag along with me.

I mean if there is any common issues with the A5 that you wouldn’t see I should be aware of

The owner I’m talking to currently is far away being about 130 miles. The newer model I mentioned is only 40 miles away. I’ve seen both cars in pictures however not in person yet. I wanted to have some decent knowledge behind me before going for a viewing and a test drive.

Services
As for the services with the person I’m talking to they say they have been to every one when needed but I’ll have to ask about some documents to back that up.

Thank you for your lengthy reply!
Hi there

First thing: "It’s a 2013 A5 3.0 with 72k miles on it. Should I look at a more newer one rather an going for the older one? " - That statement has its own questions!
  • What is your budget?
  • Where are you wanting to buy from?
    • Audi used approved - dealers? (1 years warranty for example)
    • Trade (not audi dealers)? (3 months warranty for example)
    • Private? (no warranty...)
  • What research have you already done on A5s - looking for common failing issues
    • Search this forum for a start.
  • Can you take a knowledgeable mechanic with you to view cars?
    • Do you know one?
    • Can you pay for one?
  • Does the car you're after have full service history?
    • Dealer history?
    • Independent garage history?
    • Documented evidence?
Next - "I’m a little concerned if I will not see any issues straight away. "
  • What is meant by straight away?
    • During a test drive?
    • 1 week later?
    • 1 month later?
    • 1 year later?
    • The person selling the car may not know there's an issue. The issue may arise from your driving style?
      • They drive like Miss Daisy
      • You drive like Colin McRae!
And - "I’ve been speaking with an owner currently and they said everything has been fine on the car other than them changing the wheels"
  • How far away is the current owner?
  • How long have they owned the car?
  • How many previous owners?
  • Have you physically seen the car? (you cant necessarily believe what people say!)
  • Service history - full (book with stamps, paperwork of work done)
  • Other repairs done? - documented if possible
As for old cars - i have a 2009 3.0TDI S-line with 79k on it and it runs perfect. Full service history. So an old car doesn't necessarily matter if its been looked after.

And i wouldn't worry that its your first time buying an Audi. The above matters to any make of car you buy, if you are worried about what you're buying. I'd take someone with you if possible.

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
EVERY brand and model of car has its ups and downs and the A5 is no different. The only very very very bad issue was with the petrol 1.8 and 2.0 engines burning oil but you are looking at much more recent cars, best to read up on here before you go to see a car if I were you!!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey no problem. There's no such thing as a daft question. Its only daft not to ask!
Good budget! I'm selling mine for 15k!! lol!! Works just fine!

I'll be honest even i don't know what the common issues are with an A5. Hoping someone with knowledge will add some info for you.

What BHP/ gearbox are you getting? Go for the 245BHP.
The 211BHP could be multitronic (need gearbox oil change every 30k)
The 245BHP will be s-tronic (don't know service schedule for gearbox?)
I have a 2009 tiptronic and the gearbox is bombproof it seems (famous last words?!)

But, for 15k i'd want the best car as possible. So i'd want:
  • full service history (example car with 40k on clock may only have 2 stamps on 20k long life services).
  • History of repairs done ( i wouldn't mind what repairs. But if someone has paid to have them done then they've looked after car)
  • Not too many owners for a 2015 (2 max).
  • Full HPI check (you're spending 15k so its worth it)
  • If you can't take someone mechanically knowledgeable with you, pay for RAC or AA to help look over a car (again, if you're spending 15k its worth it)
    • If buying used approved from audi dealer then its fine. Any issues take the car back! They will sort it.
  • Get best possible car you can
    • Are you in a rush to buy? Or can you wait it out to find the car you really really want?
    • Try and get it as fully loaded as possible (S-Line or Black edition for example)
    • For 15k, what about an S5?!! Just checking!!
  • If possible, don't rush, take your time.
  • If you can, post links to cars for sale on here. Maybe we can give some feedback?
Don't know if any of that helps? Good luck. Hope you get a cracker!!

Hello, guess I really didn’t put enough information, sorry!

Budget
My budget is 15k

Seller
I’m current speaking to a private owner.
I have found 2 vehicles that I like the look of problem is I can only get ahold of one owner...
However I have since found a 2015 version with 63000 miles for 15k from a more local garage as well which might be a better idea.

Research
I will be honest I haven’t done as much homework as I should regarding issues. This forum does look like the best place to start. Did see there was a class action lawsuit for a few models including the a5 which I will have to look more into

Mechanic
I have a few friends and family that are quite mechanically minded so I’ll see if they are free to tag along with me.

I mean if there is any common issues with the A5 that you wouldn’t see I should be aware of

The owner I’m talking to currently is far away being about 130 miles. The newer model I mentioned is only 40 miles away. I’ve seen both cars in pictures however not in person yet. I wanted to have some decent knowledge behind me before going for a viewing and a test drive.

Services
As for the services with the person I’m talking to they say they have been to every one when needed but I’ll have to ask about some documents to back that up.

Thank you for your lengthy reply!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
For £15k you will be looking at 2014 on wards with lowish miles.

I sold my 2009 3.0tdi last year for £6k!

As said, don't buy the entry level 3.0tdi 211bhp model! This is front wheel drive only and you may as well get the 2.0tdi! This low powered 3.0 replaced the old 2.7tdi.

The S-tronic is serviced at 35k miles, then every 40k miles. The S-tronic is also much better than the multi-tronic.

A 2015 model will have most of the issue ironed out so should be a safe buy.

The only issues would be wheel bearings around 70k miles and maybe the intake flaps, but not sure if they have been revised now!? Most issues were resolved by 2012. The only issue with the early S-tronics were components in the gearbox, rather than the actual gearbox. 2013 onwards saw the 3rd gen S-tronic making it much more reliable.

I was thinking of another newer 3.0tdi, but my heart said S5!

I think the tax on the later 3.0tdis is around £145 per year.

If buying private, or even dealer as their warranties are usually only best used as toilet paper, get a years warranty for piece of mind until you get to know the car or of any ongoing faults.

Most private Autotrader ads will have a warranty for 7 days, this would ad piece of mind for me with the option to carry it on with a payment of course. I paid a bit extra for an upgrade on the ad of my 3.0tdi and got the warranty included in the sale.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts