Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings,

I am a new member of this forum, and relatively newbie about wheel upgrades :( These past days, I've been reading some threads regarding the correct tire and wheel sizes etc... In the end, I am thinking of the following specification for my 2008 A5 (not S-line):

Varianza T1S 19x9.5 + 20 for all wheels, with Yokohama Advan S4 tires (all season high performance). The reason why I want 19" is because I want to put an all-season tires on it, not a summer performance tires.

Now the questions:
1. I knew some people use staggered settings for their wheels, and I read mixed opinions regarding whether it is safe to use it on the quattro system. However, I still dont understand it fully. Could anyone give me a recommendation on this? If so, what would be the ideal diameter to match the front wheel's 9.5"?

2. What's a good offset number for the Audi A5? I really like this new setting to look as much as my original 18" A5 wheel stock. i.e. I don't want the wheels to extend outside the side etc...

3. Will this setting be safe from rubbing, etc, even when I'm taking 4 people in the car?

4. Does any of you have any wheels/tire seller that you could recommend for buying these stuffs?

5. Last but not least, do I need to purchase the Tire pressure monitor that is attached to the wheel? Can I use existing ones? What do most people do?

Many many thanks in advance. I am sorry if some of the questions have been addressed anywhere... I tried the search functions but still, there are tons of information to digest :p

I look forward to hearing your opinion!

-Al-

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
alucius said:
1. I knew some people use staggered settings for their wheels, and I read mixed opinions regarding whether it is safe to use it on the quattro system. However, I still dont understand it fully. Could anyone give me a recommendation on this? If so, what would be the ideal diameter to match the front wheel's 9.5"?
It is absolutely safe to stagger with this chassis, but you have to keep the rolling diameters intact. Very easy to do, especially if you are simply staggering your offsets versus staggering your wheel widths.
For a 9.5" wheel, the ideal tire size would be 255/35/19. That keeps you above a 3" sidewall and gives a nice clean look.

2. What's a good offset number for the Audi A5? I really like this new setting to look as much as my original 18" A5 wheel stock. i.e. I don't want the wheels to extend outside the side etc...
I would go 30ET (offset) on a 9.5" wheel which will push your wheels out 15mm from stock position. This will give you a more aggressive stance and better look and handling.

3. Will this setting be safe from rubbing, etc, even when I'm taking 4 people in the car?
You will not rub will four normal size adults...

4. Does any of you have any wheels/tire seller that you could recommend for buying these stuffs?
Ask for Peter. He has helped a few of us on the forum. Let him know you came from A5OC.

http://www.wheelexperts.com/index2.html

5. Last but not least, do I need to purchase the Tire pressure monitor that is attached to the wheel? Can I use existing ones? What do most people do?
I bought a new set so that I could keep my stockers in my stock wheels in case I ever needed to mount them again. A new OEM set is roughly $250.

Good luck....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is absolutely safe to stagger with this chassis, but you have to keep the rolling diameters intact. Very easy to do, especially if you are simply staggering your offsets versus staggering your wheel widths.
For a 9.5" wheel, the ideal tire size would be 255/35/19. That keeps you above a 3" sidewall and gives a nice clean look.
1. I'm sorry but I did not understand some of the terms here... WHat do you mean by rolling diameters? Did you mean the same size for instance in my case both 19" for front and back? Or did you mean the same size for wheel widths?

2. Also, you mentioned that 30mm is a good offset. If I want to stagger the offset, is this 30mm good for the front or the rear wheels?

3. Is it okay if I have different wheel widths for front and back?

4. Regarding the tire pressure monitor. Is this something easy to be installed by tires professional? How do I find the OEM Tire pressure monitor? Should I get it myself from Audi?

Thank you again for your response... I really appreciate your help :()

·
Registered
53 Posts
1) Rolling Diameter. There are three components to a tires sizing say 275/30/20. The first is the width of the tire in mm's, the second is the % of the width, and the third is the inner diameter of the tire. So when we talk about rolling diameter there is two parts that go into that. a) the diameter of the wheel in this case 20" and b) the width of the side walls which in this example would be 30% of 275 mm's. There are calculators out there for this. so if you have a staggered setup (see below) you will have a lower percentage (the second number) on the wider wheel to keep all 4 wheels the same diameter

2) and 3) Staggered means different wheel widths not different offsets from front to back

4) I think the sensors will transfer but not sure on that.

Hope that helps a little

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much, Blue Label :) It is indeed helpful! I think I've learned somewhere in another thread that transferring TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) is not that hard and can be done with Tire professionals.....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thank you so much, Blue Label :) It is indeed helpful! I think I've learned somewhere in another thread that transferring TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) is not that hard and can be done with Tire professionals.....
no problem. Once you understand that the second number is a percentage of the width things make sense.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello guys,

Thanks for the members who replied so far, it's been helpful :) I do have some follow up questions about one other configuration:

1. After looking online, I see that it is actually possible to use all-season tires on a 20" wheels. Has anyone here used all-season tires on their 20"? Is it drivable in the now? Could it potentially cause rubbing to the fender?

2. Would a 20x9.5 on all wheels, and 275x30x20 fit well on an unlowered A5? What would be the best offset for this setting?

Thank you in advance!

-Al-

·
Registered
268 Posts
any other good sites that have wheel options....

i googled....but i get the same 4 sites.....

i just saw this 1010 website.....

any others?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Oem Tpms

Sizzle - where did you get OEM TPMS for $250/set?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Not gonna happen. My invoice had them at $250 but that was a discounted rate because of my wheel and tire purchase. They are more like $80 each.

Sorry about that...

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Not gonna happen. My invoice had them at $250 but that was a discounted rate because of my wheel and tire purchase. They are more like $80 each.
I bought mine from Tire Rack on eBay. You can get a set of 4 for $252 shipped. Link

·
Registered
412 Posts
Thank you for the info. I will look there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts