Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm new to this forum, so first of all, sorry if these questions have been asked before. I did a quick search but couldn't find my answers to all. I've been in love with A5 Sportback for a while, and finally I'm now planning to order it shortly :) I will most probably go for a 2.0 engine, but still haven't made up my mind on different choices of engine(hp)/gearbox/etc., so I was so glad to have found this wonderful forum!

A few notes first: I'm living in Switzerland (here petrol is a bit cheaper than diesel!), will use the car mostly for city driving + short trips on weekends + long trips every 2-3 months. I guess I'll use an average of 20,000 km's per year. I've always been driving a manual (and loved it!), never had a Diesel car, neither a 4WD. So here are my questions:

1) Which choice of engine between 2.0 TFSI 211hp, 2.0 TFSI 180hp and 2.0 TDI 170hp do you recommend? How does the fuel consumption/performance tradeoff compare among these models? Is the Diesel engine very noisy? For me the performance is the most important issue btw.

2) Quattro or 2WD? Does Quattro really add much considering the price difference, my use of the car and also higher fuel consumption?

3) S-tronic or Manual? Which one do you suggest especially regarding the initial/on the road performance?

Thanks a lot for your help!

·
Administrator
4,577 Posts
1) if performance is important, you should go for 2.0 TFSI 211 hp, which you can always chiptune.
2) living in switzerland, I would without any doubt choose a quattro.
3) S-tronic, definitely, you are always faster than the equivalent manual transmission. no-one can change gears manually in 0,2 secs. :)
the above is based on my personal experience.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
1) if performance is important, you should go for 2.0 TFSI 211 hp, which you can always chiptune.
2) living in switzerland, I would without any doubt choose a quattro.
3) S-tronic, definitely, you are always faster than the equivalent manual transmission. no-one can change gears manually in 0,2 secs. :)
the above is based on my personal experience.
Agree with pretty much everything Fred has said, particularly Quattro and S-tronic (I don't have S-tronic, but wish I did!).
One thing though - you could consider the 3.0TDI which would give better performance and better fuel milage than the 2.0TFSI (211)...?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Agree with pretty much everything Fred has said, particularly Quattro and S-tronic (I don't have S-tronic, but wish I did!).
One thing though - you could consider the 3.0TDI which would give better performance and better fuel milage than the 2.0TFSI (211)...?
:thumbsup::thumbsup: having had the 3.0 TDI myself (in an A4), and having riden in an A5 3.0 TDI w/S-tronic, I can certainly agree. Only wish Audi would bring it to the U.S...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all! The 3.0TDI costs around 8k more here, so on my budget I'm not going to consider it for now :) What do you think about 2.0TDI? Is the performance difference with 2.0TFSI really noticeable? I've read several arguments on this in the forum, some claiming that the difference with TFSI is very little, while offering much better fuel mileage...
About s-tronic, I'm just a bit concerned about mountain roads here, and also my 15 years manual habit (+ 3k more expensive than manual :D), but it seems I should think more about it...

·
Administrator
4,577 Posts
the torque of a 2.0 TFSI 211hp is the same as the torque if a 2.0 TDI 170hp, i.e. 350 Nm.
however the sprint-start is 6,6 secs. (2.0 TFSI S-tronic) against 8,7 secs. (2.0 TDI manual).
15 years of manual habbit ???
how about more than 45 :)
I always enjoyed the manual, never liked a conventional auto-tranny, but I'm adicted to the S-tronic :cheers:
but I don't think you can have a 2.0 TDI with S-tronic.
only Multi-tronic and than only 143 hp :(
why would you be concerned about the S-tronic in the mountains ??
there is manual-opreration ànd S-mode.
you'll love it :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Do you like your cars to sound like a tractor?
If you do buy the 4 cylinder 2.0 TDI.
Before anyone starts having a go my last car was an A4 2.0TDI and would have put a Massey Ferguson to shame:eek:

·
Registered
637 Posts
Do you like your cars to sound like a tractor?
If you do buy the 4 cylinder 2.0 TDI.
Before anyone starts having a go my last car was an A4 2.0TDI and would have put a Massey Ferguson to shame:eek:
Yes I agree,I also had a4 2 d and one of the reasons after a few diesels it was nice to go back petrol.
Is the a5 3.0d better I never bothered trying one as my mind was made up?

·
Administrator
4,577 Posts
I have had my hands on cars with almost any kind of engine, with my Vag-Com cable.
2.0 TDI is a diesel all right.
a 3.0 TDI sounds like a machine.
and it is fast, you bet :running:
but a 2.0 TFSI is good enough for me :cheers:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes I agree,I also had a4 2 d and one of the reasons after a few diesels it was nice to go back petrol.
3.0 TDI sounds a world apart from a 2.0 TDI.
2.0 TDI sounds like a bag of spanners being shook.
3.0 TDI sounds gruff and aggressive when you rev it, has the acceleration when you want to press on but does 40MPG on a run. Win Win
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Main difference between the 2.0TDI and the 2.7TDI or 3.0TDI is the latter two are v6 engines, which are significantly smoother and therefore quieter than the 4 pot 2.0TDI engine.

The 2.7 is a performance compromise compared to the 3.0, but you gain the benefits of the V6 and obtain slighty better economy and is a cheaper purchase price. Point to note however is the 2.7 does not come with quattro, for which some on here is considered an essential requirement. IMO, this depends on your point of view and type of driving and conditions your going to encounter.

Cheers

·
Registered
637 Posts
3.0 TDI sounds a world apart from a 2.0 TDI.
2.0 TDI sounds like a bag of spanners being shook.
3.0 TDI sounds gruff and aggressive when you rev it, has the acceleration when you want to press on but does 40MPG on a run. Win Win
:thumbsup:
Cheers,and my next diesel related question,needle sweep-when I start my car sweep/engine work in conjuction,does the diesel sweep then start after.
Sorry to go of the topic.

·
Registered
940 Posts
For me if you go for 2.0 TFSI you go for the 211bhp. Quattro is defo for you as said by others.

Manual v S-Tronic, this is my first auto car. I love driving the manuals as they are more engaging BUT the S-Tronic is phenomenal...it's gear changes are so smooth and so quick that there is no way a manual could compete!

Downshifts are a little dodgy but the S-Tronic makes driving easy and fun in a totally different way to a manual!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Go with the manual and save the 3k or spend it on some extras (sport package and b+o)

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Cheers,and my next diesel related question,needle sweep-when I start my car sweep/engine work in conjuction,does the diesel sweep then start after.
Sorry to go of the topic.
Engine start delay on the 3.0TDI is a function of how cold the engine is, as the glow plugs have to do their work when the engine is stone cold. So, when cold the needle sweep occurs first (by coincidence) then the engine fires (the delay is really very short - not like the old days!). When warm, the engine kicks immediately, i.e., while needle sweep occurs.
Hope that makes sense? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you all for your great feedback! I guess I've made up my mind. I'm going to order a 2.0 TFSI Quattro. Still not sure about S-tronic or manual though... ;) performance-wise they look the same (0-100 acceleration, etc.), so I guess it should be just about how important is for you to change gears manually or not...!? Hard decision here! :(

·
Administrator
4,577 Posts
performance-wise they look the same (0-100 acceleration, etc.)(
the look the same, but they are not.
if you were going to try and match the time stated for the manual, your gearbox won't live very long.
the time for the S-tronic does no harm to the box.

no hard decision, at all :)

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
If you can afford it, go for the S-Tronic. I would have done if I could have afforded it! :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi P Swiss,

I had exactly the same dilhema as you - see my thread manual or s-tronic. I went for the 2.0TFSI Quattro Black Edition Coupe and have had it just over a month now (not available in sportback in the uk incidentally). I had an A4 2.0 TDI 140 cab and it was a lovely car with the roof down visually, but lack any "sportiness" and did sound a tad agricultural.....

Anyway, I tested the 170 A5 Diesel and whilst much better than the 140 A4 it was nowhere near as good IMO as the 211 Quattro.

So you've picked the engine, now for transmission! Well....I drove both and I really liked the S Tronic, but I went manual in the end. Some days I wish I'd gone for the s tronic for the speed uf upshifts as mentioned above and when in heavy traffic, but then some days I love the manual.

It's a really, really hard choice and is at the end of the day very personal - there's no right or wrong. So my advice: drive both if possible (let's see how good your dealer is!) and make your decision from there....but make sure it's like for like i.e. dont test a manual 211 vs a 3.0 TDI s-tronic. It must be a 211 manual vs 211 s-tronic, which is the challenge as there arent loads lying about. I was lucky and my dealer bent over backwards for me and found one from another sister dealership for me to test.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi guys,
Thank you all for your great advices. I'm so lucky to have found this forum :)
[email protected]: You made me sure about the choice of the engine, thanks!
Finally, for the transmission, I also guess a test drive will be the key factor for my decision... I'll try both and see how they feel.. though I'm now a bit leaned towards s-tronic based on the reviews ;) Anyway, I feel already so excited about my new car, and thank you all again for your help.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts