Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Good evening everyone,

I have an Audi A5, 2011, TDI 3.0 V6, 176 kW.
My battery apparently needs replacing - after almost two weeks of cold here in Luxembourg where I live, it started first showing the message with something like "the battery is running low" and needs replacement.

Somehow the battery did survive the cold period, but betrayed me today when it didn't want to start the engine, but did start other functions as the instrument board, the MMI system etc. Moreover, it kind of trapped my key inside, as I was not able to remove it the regular way but i had to push it only slightly and pull it out right after.

I have ordered a battery booster (I don't know anyone that has a car powerful enough to jump start 3.0 TDI) but I guess i will need to buy a battery soon.

May I please kindly ask for a recommendation for the said model and what would be the best place to purchase it in EU with Lux delivery? here the prices are insane (350-400 EUR) and I am most definitely not paying such a price for a battery, unless I really have to.

Many thanks in advance,
F

· Registered
4 Posts
Will do, much obliged!

Hi - I think the best thing to do is first take a look at your current battery, check it's make, Amps and CCA capacity. Also I suggest measuring it at the base to get dimensions and note if it fills the space it's in or if a larger (longer) one will fit. Knowing a larger one will fit gives you more flexability in your choice. I presume it's in the boot under the spare wheel like mine is?

Once you have those details I suggest you visit Car Batteries - Motorcycle Batteries - Leisure Batteries - Cheap Prices! and take a look at the brands that make batteries to your specificatiion.
In terms of good brands, Personally I think Bosch and Varta are good. And I think Moll are OEM batteries for Audi.

Happy hunting!

· Registered
4 Posts
Oh, since we're at it, one more thing - how crucial is to code/programme the new battery? Any chance I could do it myself without any equipment? A local garage would charge me around 50 EUR (43 GBP) for such a service, does it make sense to DIY?

I wanted to replace the battery myself by swapping the device from the trunk, while simultaneously having a 12v battery booster plugged to front-end (hood) clamps, in order not to lose the car memory. Would there be any damage if I start the car with the new battery and programme it at a later date - say a week afterwards max?

Many thanks for the help,
F

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.